Deer and headshots

Discussion in 'Big Game' started by The_Cook, Oct 8, 2005.

1. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

I've been on a learn everything about deer kick now. And I've sorta noticed something. People talk about Liver shots, Heart&lung shots, and even neck shots. But I haven't heard anything about shooting a deer in the head. Is there some wierd fed law about it? Is there some unwritten guy code I haven't heard about? A deer will go down if shot in the head right? :shock: (j/k)

From what I've been able to figuere broadside Heart&lung shot is the ideal shot anyone can take. But wouldn't a head shot be the next thing to go for especially if you don't want to go looking for it?

Maybe I'm missing something here. Maybe I've played one to many video games. :?

2. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

It's legal but if you shoot a really big buck and then you want to get a taxdermist to do the bucks head that won't be a pleasant picture when you mount it. Especially with a .30-06. To be safe check with your wildlife commission because it may vary state to state. Some state hunting laws are very crazy.

3. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Head shots are common when meat hunting...small bucks and doe hunting...

4. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

AH! the thing I was missing has been filled... completly over looked the whole trophy thing. Explains why I haven't read anything on headshots. And I've been diggin around in Kalifornistans hunting laws about headshooting deer and so far nadda. MUAHAHAHA perfect breasts of meat, intact tenderloin, and MOCASINS here I come!

5. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

Some caveats towards taking head shots; the head is a very small target (though it is larger than the spinal cord) where being slightly off center would lead to a crippled animal escaping and dying a very lingering death; relating to the above, the head is also regularly moving which adds to the difficulty of the shot (one reason the police ar trainied to shoot "center of mass" as the body doesn't move much); and finally, this particular shot leads to a rather messy corpse, much more so than a hit through the lungs. A well placed shot through the lungs has a relatively large lethal target area and hits here leave little wasted meat if well constructed bullets are used. I shudder at the thought of head shots, I've heard several stories of deer only being wounded and escaping with them. I have also seem the after affects of a deer whose jaw had been broken by a car and it was not a pretty sight.

6. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

I,m one of those that regularly head shoots does. I haven't ever lost one and don't waste any of the eating meat.I do understand Uglydog's concern,though. Some of us have the sense to move the crosshairs if in doubt. A shot on the shoulder/lung area is the safest and surest way to put down a deer on any given day.

HWD

7. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Cool I'll go for H&L first, but if a good headshot presents itself I'll go for it then. Hey, anyone know how big a deer brain is and has anyone eaten one? cause I know deer tongue is pretty good and so is kidney and liver. Has anyone saved the intestines to make sausage?

8. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

We don't touch the brain or spinal column if at all possible. In some areas I hunt Chronic Wasting Disease is a possibility and that is generally found in the spine and brain and can not be killed or neutralized by cooking. Since this disease is not as geographically isolated as it once was, we play it safe and stay as far from these areas as possible. Other diseases are found in this part of the anatomy but CWD is the worst one in our eyes. I don't use organs of any kind as I do not care for the taste nor texture of them, in some animals they can even be toxic to humans. I've had natural casing in the past but I don't care to drag any extra weight if I don't have to. Besides, scavengers need to eat too.

9. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

UD,
    I never have consider CWD.We don't have that down here, yet. Thanks for the reminder though.

HWD

10. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Keep telling me these things and you people will soon have a news headline where a hunter in southern california is found dead from heat stroke while hunting in a level 3 hazmat suit.

I hate ticks, I hate limedisease, I hate germs and virus. They scare me as much as alztimers does. No deer brain eating for the cook no more :cry: but... I do feel kinda wierd come to think of it... itchy, scratch, good..... B R A I N S!!!!

11. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

I'd rather go with H&L shots if at all possible for the reasons U-Dog gave. Another reason is that the DNR in several states severs the heads from does at check stations to monitor the health/condition of the herd.

12. danurve

danurve Guest

Often find myself presented with a possible head shot, but I go for the boiler room having hunted deer in shotgun only areas for so long.

13. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

I don't own a shotgun...
    Would buck penetrate deer skull in the firstplace?

14. Maser

Maser Super Member

yea if ur 40 yards at the most from the head