Deer behavior

Discussion in 'Big Game' started by The_Cook, Oct 6, 2005.

1. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

I just experienced something REALLY wierd this afternoon. After I bagged my first whole desert hare I decided to take a walk out in the angeles crest forest hunting area sans gun just to see what was out there. I spotted an antlerless deer (really young buck/doe don't know) at about 100yrds watched it walk for alittle while, then it went to pass a tree. I waited for like five minutes for the thing to pop out the other end. On arrival at the tree I found tracks that lead away from where I was, keeping the tree in my LOS. DO DEER DO THAT!?!?!?

I've never seen deer out in the wild before, usually the ones I see are out in topanga canyon and they don't care if you honk your horn at them or the shooting range deer that don't care if you have a line of handgunners blazing away and will walk out to the 10yrd line to nibble some grass.

What other odd tricks do wild deer have up thier sleeves?

2. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Its good to know that the deer out there do the same stuff as here! Deer can come up with some of the best disappearing acts that I've ever witnessed.They can also reappear just as suddenly. I've watched them walk into brush and stop. If ya look away for just an instant they disppear. If ya wait a while and watch closely,you may finally realize that they have been there the whole time,just standing and watching. Or they may do the Houdini thingy and vanish into thin air.

HWD

3. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

:x I think bagging a deer is going to be harder than I thought it was going to be. Maybe I can convince my legislature to make Topanga Canyon and the Shooting Ranges legal hunting areas :p

4. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

They have eons of experience avioding being eaten... :idea:

5. RedRyder21

RedRyder21 Guest

I usually see the most deer at one time when I am field dressing a deer that I have just shot. It is a strange feeling to be field dressing a deer while another herd of deer watch you from 100 yards away. :shock: :? :shock:

I think deer are just naturally curious.

6. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

That or they are calculating the odds, before they trample you to death, how many could you shoot? Only reason why they never rush is because deer can't count. :D

7. wwb

wwb Super Member

The other thing that is maddening about deer is to watch one for nearly an eternity for it to move 10 yards to where you have a good shot. As one of my hunting pals says, "They've got nowhere to go and all day to get there."

8. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

How true, how true wwb. Then too I think deer may like to taunt hunters at times also (they have plenty of time on their hooves). I have spent 2 weeks in my bowhunting stand watching 2 bucks stay just outside of shooting range and mosey around. Just when they take a step in my direction, they always seem to tease me and decide the other direction is better at the last moment. Did get to watch the 2 bucks lock horns in a woodlands altercation over a lady deer, that was one of the most enjoyable times I have spent in the woods.

9. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

I've never seen it before but when two bucks are locked up and fighting, is that a good time to try to sneak closer for a shot?

10. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

You would have a better chance in doing so, but you still need to keep them from seeing you .

11. danurve

danurve Guest

I got to watch two bucks (out of a group of 4) mock fight for a short while back about a month ago while on opening day fall Turkey. Which was way cool btw. All of them seemed curious about my hen decoy. And all of them got within shotgun range, broadside. Man my heart was pounding even though there wasn't a thing I could do but watch. Did manage to score two birds later tht day.

Two weeks later opening day Archery I put the same decoy out and a pair of does behaved the same way. Only that time I took one home ;)

12. mountainview

Cook,
    It could be a good time to sneak up on the bucks while they are duking it out but some things to consider:
    1) there is often a doe observing her suitors and her radar is not shut down
    2) Getting down from a tree stand in a hurry can fast track a hunter to the hospital or worse
    3) If the woods are dry and trees are losing their leaves, it still is amazing that the deer can pussyfoot and not make any noise while hunters generally can not under these conditions
    4) This is rare I admit, but consider 2 male whitetails with hormones raging and are embroiled in a woodlands barfight over a lady, there are sufficient accounts where a hunter has wound up in hand-2-hoof combat with a rutting buck.
    5) I think it is less than "cricket" (i.e. sporting) to interrupt the proceedings and in any event found myself too entertained while watching to even think about stalking. Sometimes the experience is better than the harvest.

13. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

ehehe hand 2 hoof combat :D

Still want to get good enough at hunting to take things with a knife. Heck even taking something with a thrown knife would be something to hoot about.

Hey!!! oddball question, anyone ever hunt with a crossbow? nvm don't post here look for the topic =)

14. mountainview

Some of my pards in the Buckeye and MotorCity States hunt with crossbows (both states are home to crossbow manufacturers) and have done quite well hunting deer (well I should note that represents their opinion, not the deer's).