Deer limits by US state?

Discussion in 'Big Game' started by harold50, Jan 9, 2005.

1. harold50

harold50 Guest

What US states have the highest allowed limit and possession of deer?

I remember that 10 years ago Alaska had areas where you could possess six at one time.

I'm interested in rifle season information - never mind the Bow and B-powder seasons.

Six inches of snow in the dooryard but rain & 57 degrees predicted for Wed here in the Upper Valley. Unbelievable.

Best wishes,

Harold

2. skog

skog Guest

Certian areas of NE michigan have no limit on does. But state wide the limit is 2 bucks and 1 much have 4 pts on one side. there is an exception during bow season that you can use your small buck tag as a doe tag. Where i live th elimit on doe tags is 1 a day untill the run out. usually about 4 weeks in my area so i could shoot 30 does in i had 4 bucks per tag and a big freezer. I only pick up 2 unless i fill those early.

skog

3. capt9992002

capt9992002 Guest

From the Arkansas Game and Fish Hunting Guidebook:

"The season bag limit is three deer, of which no more than two may be legal bucks. Hunters may not take more than two does using firearms. Additional restriction may apply within certain zones and Wildlife Management Areas (pages 114-118).

In zones 1, 2, 6, 7, 8, 10 and 11, a hunter may only take one legal buck by any combination of firearms (muzzleloader and modern gun) and archery methods. Hunters in these zones may take the season bag limit of two legal bucks if each buck is taken in a different zone or WMA. Firearms hunters may take one doe with a zone doe quota permit. Archery hunters may take one legal buck and one doe or two does. Hunters, including archery hunters, are reminded that a zone doe quota permit is required to take a doe during firearms season. Permit applications are available during June.

In zone 3, an archery hunter may take either two legal bucks and one doe, two does and one legal buck, or three does. Firearms hunters may take two legal bucks and one doe with a zone doe quota permit.

In zone 13, an archery hunter may take either two legal bucks and one doe, two does and one legal buck, or three does. Firearms hunters may take two legal bucks and one doe.

In zones 4A, 5A, 9, 12, 14, 15, 16, 16A and 17, an archery hunter may take either two legal bucks and one doe, two does and one legal buck, or three does. Firearms hunters may take two legal bucks and one doe or two does and one legal buck.

In zones 4 and 5, an archery hunter may take either two legal bucks and one doe, two does and one legal buck, or three
    does. Modern gun hunters may take two legal bucks and one doe. Muzzleloader deer hunting season is closed."

Confused? So am I....... But I think it's three.....

4. grimel

grimel Guest

Tn - 3 bucks. Unit L 3 does per day for 20ish days. Plus WMA hunts, plus quota hunts, plus doe quota hunts in other areas. Roughly without using a bow or bp some 70 deer give or take. Takes $100 Sportsman's Lic (or equiv individual lic).

5. wudjalike2no

wudjalike2no Guest

geez, we only get one buck without extra permits

6. grimel

grimel Guest

yeah, but of the dozen or so deer I know about this year only 1 broke 100lb (130).

7. grimel

grimel Guest

Okay, I got curious. Bow, BP, and rifle no quota hunts it's 130. Drop about 20 off for bow and BP leaves 140ish for a rifle.

Not that we have too many deer in some areas or anything. Unless you consider deer (and coyotes) in the city limits, around factories, and "every" 2 lane country road at dusk too many.

I rarely see over 15 on the 3 miles from my work locker room to the main road and never more than 4 more on the 7 miles to the city limits and rarely more than 2 from the city limits to my house. It all depends on how close to dusk any area is passed. Seeing 3 or 4 deer mid day isn't unusuall.

I don't live in the liberal limit areas. I can only shoot 2 with a rifle. Farther west the deer are really a problem.

8. harold50

harold50 Guest

I ask the original question because we're about to have a heck of a battle here in VT. Can shoot only bucks during rifle and BP seasons. Can shoot either sex in Archery. For several years you could shoot a buck in rifle and another in BP - or just 2 bucks in BP.

This season the VT buckkill is down 18% while NH's is up 7%. People want to know what the VT F&G has in mind for a plan to help fix this lack of bucks. Have had some terrible deep snow winters of late - so has NH tho'.

Generally, I think, the most liberal seasons mean more deer to hunt. I'm looking around a little, you know what I mean? Don't misunderstand - there's a ton of reasons to hunt besides the taking, but mother likes a little venison in return for my absence on weekends and the expense associated with being married to a gun nut.

Best wishes,
    Harold

9. grimel

grimel Guest

harold,

We have absurd limits because we have deer at near vermin levels. In many locals there are many more deer than rabbits (thanks to the coyote population).

If you want more bucks you have to shoot fewer bucks and more does for a few years. That lets you have more bucks survive year to year and get closer to 1:1 buck to doe ratio. That makes for less breeding for each buck, thus they are stronger for the winter.

Killing bucks "never" reduces the herd size it at best limits the growth rate. One buck will breed many does given the chance.

10. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

It sure isn't Nevada... :cry:

Residents get a buck tag about every 2-3 years in the draw. Now, because of some moronic Federal Judge, we have to give 40% of our limited tags to out of State hunters. There needs to be an open season on Morons!

Judge, I hope you read this! Don't come to NV or any of the other Western State without a disguise. Other hunters here are not as peaceful and forgiving as I am... :twisted:

We need to push for a Constitutional Amendment to remove life tenure for the Federal judiciary. These demi-gods can pull off some of the most outrageous rulings and never face any retribution or censure. Revolutions come of such circumstances. Let's make this a peaceful revolution and take back out States at the ballot box.

I know this is a bit off topic, but hunting is the topic and courts are not our friend. :x

11. grimel

grimel Guest

If I can get on a lease in Unit L, you have a standing invite to come here and try your luck. I can garrooonteee you a lic and seeing deer (that I can do even the public land I hunt). If does aren't against your religion I'll cover your bet 3:1 you get at least 1 doe on a 3 day hunt.

12. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

grim,

PM me and let's talk! :D I am a firm believer that doe hunting is absolutely essential to maintaining viable deer populations and quality habitat. Besides...they taste better..... :p :p :wink:

13. grimel

grimel Guest

I've got a 90lb field dressed doe at the processer right now. My grandson tried venison at an uncle's house this year and likes it. Enough that he now wants to do some hunting (he's 8 ).

I'm waiting on a few lease options I'm trying to get.

14. pigeonhunter

pigeonhunter Guest

We can get two a year but very few people do.

15. harold50

harold50 Guest

Pidgeon - what state (of the country..sheesh :roll: ) are you in?

Harold

16. pigeonhunter

pigeonhunter Guest

California.

If your lucky enough to draw a good tag then you might have the chance to take a really nice buck.

Most of the deer taken in CA are forkies under 2 1/2 YOA.

We have a bunch of morons running our DFG.

We can't shoot spikes or does and our doe population is very high.

17. grimel

grimel Guest

We have a bunch of morons carrying the rifles - if it ain't got horns a real man wouldn't shoot it. Our restricted areas only allow 2 bucks without being drawn for the extra quota hunts.

18. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

P-hunter is absolutely correct about the out of whack deer populations in CA. Their DFG needs to be cleaned out from the top, down, but it is all politics and tenure with those "civil servants" at DFG. There are some realy fine people in the CA DFG, but there are a whole bunch of knuckleheads just there for their State retirement who won't rock a canoe.

The mature buck to doe ratio in CA has been a bone of contention for years, even here in NV. These barren doe eating machines migrate into Western NV in the winter from the Sierras in CA and eat up everything. We used to have a late season doe hunt here to reduce the impact of the migration somewhat, but we now have CA transplant Dept. of Wildlife "biologists" flooding in with the hoards of Kalifornians who have the same mindset.

Ouch...dang...! I just fell off my soap box... :wink:

19. Grendelrob

Grendelrob Guest

In Nebraska you can get two buck permits (whether buck only or either/or). You can get as many anterless permits as you want until the permits run out, although these ae not available in every unit. One of the areas has a 2 does/tag for each anterless permit.

Some areas have draws and others are over the counter, but as long as you are willing to travel you can almost shoot until your finger hurts. :D

Rob

20. jkvirginia

jkvirginia Guest

In Virginia, depending on whether you're east or west of the Blue Ridge, it's either 5 per license year, 3 must be antlerless, 1 per day (West of the Blue Ridge), or 6 per license year, 3 must be antlerless, 2 per day (East of BR)

Note that VA uses the "Antlered/Antlerless" distinction rather than Buck/Doe. If you pop an antlerless buck or that rare antlered doe, you're all good.