Deer preperation

Discussion in 'Big Game' started by The_Cook, Oct 11, 2005.

1. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

I just realized deer weigh anywhere between 100lbs and 400lbs. How the heck do you break it down and drag it all back to your car? Which brings up another question, double garbage bag the deermeat, and plastic liner in the truck, will that keep things fairly unmessy?

The breaking it down part isn't what bothers me it's the taking it back to your car thing that's bending my head.

Has anyone saved the intestines for sausage making?

2. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Cook,
    It depends on a couple of things. Dragging in Va is ususally pretty easy.Our deer are moderate in sizze,so not too bad to pull.As ya get into the larger ones, get a buddy to help or get a 4 wheeler. How far from the truck that I shoot one is what dictates whetherI field dress it on the spot or wait til I get back to the vehicle. Most of the deer that I've shot are up in the mountains and the truck is USUALLY at the bottom.Therefore the drag is down hill and easy.I hate getting leaves and crap all inside the carcass. A small tarp,6x6,that'll cost ya about $3 at a discount store,is a great thing to drag your deer on. Just wrap it up,attach rope and take off.

All innards stay in the woods. I don't eat any of them,though some really enjoy them.I guess its a personal thing.

As for your vehicle...go by a hardware store and get a plastic drop cloth to spread out in the trunk. Ths should catch most of the extra blood. You could just hang the deer for a couple of hours prior to loading it up.The blood will dry up some. Of course in your temps,it may not be a good idea.It might get paraboiled!

HWD

3. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

I wear a bird hunting vest with a bird bag when deer hunting. It is a great place to carry my drag rope and later, to carry out the liver...best part of the deer,IMHO...I leave the heart attached in the cavity until I get back to the truck.

Getting our deer out can be pure hell and involves dragging for miles at times in heavy brush like mountain mahogany...over sharp granite and volcanic rock in steep and high mountains. The only way back often is to make up a harness with a length of rope and drag...and drag...and drag...and drag... :roll: Sometimes we cut it in half and make two trips or quarter it and make more trips...depends on the size and terrain.

4. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

ehehe knowing me if I quarter it and leave some behind I'll never find the rest of it again :D Anyone have any experience carrying some poles for a makeshift dragging cot?

5. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Eh.... thanks for the crypticly zen asside there buddy, care to come off your meditatition induced coma and phrase that in english, not fortune teller speak. :D

6. Pat T

Pat T Moderator

Those are hyper links to products you might be interested in cookie, try clicking on them.

7. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

:oops: "OHhh, look to the skies he said" suddenly your babble makes alot more sense sorry about that.

8. RedRyder21

RedRyder21 Guest

Re: re: Deer preperation

If a person was good with a welder or knew someone who was they could make something very similar for a fraction of the price.

I will look on the internet and see if I can find something similar and plans to make a home made one.

I have considered taking an old or cheap wheel barrel, taking the barrel off, replacing it with plywood and 2x4's for the sides, drilling holes to run some rope through for tie downs, and saving a few bucks.... :lol:

9. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Well I've got my deer dragging rig together, altogether it weighs about 6lbs. Here is what I'm using Al la boyscout manual.

Two aluminum tubes 2"dia 6.5ft long
    One doublethick tarp 5ft x 6ft
    Rockclimbing rope 20ft

I enlisted my sister to test it out and on concrete and the front lawn it drags easy enough and she never slipped off. of course I got wierd looks cause there was a 25yr old man dragging his 21yr old sister around on a makshift cot. But it was all in the name of science :D