distances

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by D_white, Aug 24, 2005.

1. D_white

D_white Guest

I'm gonna be sighting in my .308 this week and had a question. If I sight it in at 75 yards, how much lower can I expect it to hit at 100? 125? 150? How much higher at 50? 25? I hope this is answerable. Thanks guys.
    D.White

2. Papadoodles

Papadoodles Super Member

Better if you zero dead on at 200. This only puts you 1.9 high at 100 (with the 150 gr bullet) and you don't have to hold under or over until you are out past 250 yards!

50 100 200 300 400 500
    0.8 1.9 * -8.2 -23.5 -47.1

These figures are from Federal where you can find info on 150 through 180 gr bullets and zeros of 100 or 200 yards

http://www.federalcartridge.com/default ... &firearm=1

3. wired

wired Guest

^^^ what he said. Stick with a 200 yard zero for most flat-shooting rounds. It will vary a little depending on your load, but that can be figured out easily enough, along with your bullet drop at various ranges (which won't be very much until you get past 250-300 yards, and then the different cartridges and bullets will make some difference).

Neat little trick for this: start at 25 yards or so and get it zeroed dead-on. Then, find someplace you can shoot 200 yards to finish tuning things. At 200 yards, it will at least be on paper, possibly close to dead-on depending on the rifle and ammo. I could have saved myself a half a box of .308 rounds if I had done this when I first mounted my scope on it. When I switched to iron sights, I used this trick and it worked like a charm.

4. D_white

D_white Guest

Sorry, should have specified. This is strictly a deer rifle that I will be shooting 150gr factory loads through. In the terrain I hunt, I can confidently say I will never be taking shots over 150 yards..and that's definatly pushing it. Most shots are 25-125...so I figured 75 would be best...with that being said...should I still just site it in at 200 and consider the drop at ranges shorter than that to be negligable? Or should I sight it in at 75 and then test it at different distances to find out the drop/rise at each of those distance??? Any help is very much appreciated.
    D.White

5. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

Sight it in 2" high at 100 yards. For all ranges under 200 yards hold dead on where you want the bullet to land. A difference of up to two inches on a deer is unnoticable in the field under actual hunting conditions. By sighting in and practicing for a longer range you will have no disadvantage at close range and still be able to make a shot at a longer range. I hunt in some of the thickest junk imaginable where a long shot is 50 yards. Despite this, I sight in for longe range as there are places where a longer shot is possible while travelling to or from my favorite spot. A longish shot may also be needed if you should need to follow up on a deer that wasn't hit so well. It sucks to not be able to make a long shot because you have to go through the added mental calculations and the deer staggers behind a bush and disappears. Been there, done that, felt sick.

6. wired

wired Guest

Yeah, it shoots flat enough for that. Sight it in at 200. Anything less than that you can either aim dead-on, or hold an inch or two lower than where you want to hit him (like I said, it's pretty flat). You also have the advantage of knowing exactly what it'll do at 200, just in case you run across a situation calling for a long shot anywhere from 100-250 or so yards. May not happen often, but you may as well take advantage of the trajectory and set it up that way. If you were shooting something like a .30-30 or a .44 mag, I'd say sight it in at 75 or 100 yards.

7. Merton Leeper

Merton Leeper Guest

If you access google and go the the Federal Cartridge site you can download a free program that has all cartridge configurations. Also you can customize it for distances, elevation, temperature, and etc. It is one of the best programs that show you distances up to 500 yards. Check it out and put it on your desktop for reference. Mert