Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help please, I am trying to identify a drilling rifle caliber. It is 44 caliber but I'm unsure of the cartridge. Shotgun is 16 ga.; it is a hammer gun. Only markings other than one proof mark is 5 letters under the rifle selector switch. first 2 are hard to make out. Last three appear to be GET. So it is _ _ G E T . I've exhausted my search capability. I tried the archieves here also. A .44-40 case fits it best but is way too short. The push through slug measured .431. Only thing I know of would be a 444 but i doubt an old european drilling would have such a caliber. I assume it is an older (not used in US) european cartridge. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cerrasafe on the way. Push thru slug mic'ed .4318. I need to research dimensions on as many older cartridges as possible to determine what it is. Appears to be a long straight case or maybe one with a slight taper all the way.

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
"Cartridges of The World" should have a section with specs for most of the more common European rounds.

My best guess is that it could well be a 10.75X65R Collath. The firm made many fine combination guns, most using their own cartridge concoctions in the late 1880's. This round shot a bullet about .425 in diameter and had a straight walled case with just a slight taper.

Off hand, I don't know of any brass around that you could use to form into the Collath. Does the drilling have a round action and a wing nut type contraption on top of the tang? ...say Collath anywhere...???

Keep me posted as to your casting specs and let's try to identify it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No other markings

On Shotgunworld, another guy mentioned this cartridge....cerrasafe arrived last night I think, should get to cast this weekend, I hope. I will definitely post the dimensions. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We need to start another topic of Cerrasafe use. My neighbor had a terrible time. Finally got a good one except after hardening, it will ot go back in the chamber. Anyway the measurements which are a little big include:
Throat area appears around .434-.436 so the .431-.432 push thru slug verifies the .44 caliber. The case length appears to be 2.11. 444 Marlin is close, 7.62x54R is perfect except the rim is too big. Casting shows rim to be .522. Again the Marlin 444 rim at .514 appears a little small but workable. Base diameter is .4745 with neck diameter being .473 so a very slight taper. Nothing I have access to appears any better than some cut down 444 Marlin cases. Any other ideas appreciated. We plan to pull some 444 Marlin bullets and down load them after cutting the case back. We'll see if it works well.

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
If the rim thickness is close enough, the 444 Marlin should work well. I'd start with a moderate black powder load or something like 777.

I'd start with a 250 gr Speer cast bullet and 60gr of Fg black powder, BUT THIS IS NOT A RECOMMENDATION IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, NOR FORM!

I WOULD WORK UP ANY LOAD WITH CAUTION AND USE BLACK POWDER OR A SUBSTITUTE.

Light loads of 4198 might also work, but you may need to use a filler.

Old guns of unknown caliber or origin are often dangerous to shoot. Be careful. :idea: ....(and have fun :wink: )

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After pulling a factory 444 Marlin, I cut the case down until it fit evenly at the rim. I think the case was 2.124" but I'm not sure. Cerrasafe cast appeared to be 2.110" but no doubt the case fits. I was concerned about the case being down in the throat but it should not have any trouble releasing the bullet. Prior to loading it appeared the case was hitting the rim in the chamber so maybe the casting was off a little.

After doing so we loaded a 205 grain lead bullet over 10 grains of 700x per an older Lyman cast bullet book. This is a very mild load but should have sufficient pressure to fully expand the case. My main concern is the case mouth. According to the matrix on reloadbench.com the case neck is .453 while the measured cerrasafe casting was .473. 0.020 may be enough to split the neck. Test firing was scheduled for this afternoon. The saga continues......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Firing went very well, so even though chambering is still a mystery we now have a usable cartridge. Accuracy is poor but we may tweak around with the load, bullets etc. He wants to try BP or 777 but I have never loaded BP cartridges. I'll move that to another forum. Thanks to everyone for their input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.