Drop-shot did you get yoru elk?

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by Levergun, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

Well, we're waiting?:D:D:D

2. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

No I didn't,I passed on a spike the first part of the season and regret it now.We still have till tomarrow evening and I will try again before it ends.I did get my whitetail buck and doe so I have meat in the freezer but no elk as of yet.My whitetail buck wasn't much bigger than yours,the doe was even smaller.She looked larger at 200 yards but when I went to put my tag on her I regretted pulling the trigger,shot her in the head where the neck joins the head so meat wasn't wasted.I can vouch for the hornady interbond bullets,165 gr shoots to point of aim even at 200 yards.Next year I will be in better shape and can walk farther and will try to draw the best spots.I'm waiting till we have at least 4 inches of ice on Canyon Ferry so I can put fish in the freezer.Have you had a chance to try ice fishing yet?

3. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

First goog luck tomorrow. :wink:
    Second, WHERE ARE THE PICTURES! :roll:
    Third, no ice here yet. We just got a little snow last night and this morning and it is already melting. supposed to get more snow this week but we'll see.

4. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I didn't take pictures,I was too ashamed to post the doe and the buck was shot from the rear of the back of the neck going downhill and came out the face,1 antler was a 4 point and the other was a spike,broken antlers.You have a great fishing spot there if it freezes over,find the spot where the bank slopes down and fish the slope,perch and walleye galore.I'll be home all the rest of the day and evening,too tired to hunt,I never thought I'd ever say that,I just don't have any energy left.I need rest and will try tomarrow again for the spike elk,I'll let you know if I connect.Drop-Shot

5. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

Well, at first I was ashamed of the two point I got. But after a day or so of thinking about it, I did good. I took a shot, it was perfect, I didn't give up and found the animal and I did it all by myself. The hunt, the shot, the track, the processing of the downed animal and all in a place I have never hunted before.

OK, its no record or even a wall hanger, but I will have meat in the freezer. I hunted more this year then the past 5 years combined, I saw some real purty country, got lost once, saw a bald eagle not more than 20 feet above my head, came face to face with a bull moose, watched osprey pull trout out of the lake, came face to face with a Wolf, stepped into a heard of elk, had a great time with some friends, ate some great food, drank some good whiskey and beer, smoked some good cuban cigars, shot and ate some grouse, Man the list goes on and on!

That little buck was just a little icing on the cake. I am having a great hunting season. Now I am going to go out for Muzzleloader spike elk and then try to get a couple geese and then do some ice fishing! Man I love this place!!!!:D:D:D

Don't be ashamed of anything you take aim at and pull the trigger. Drop, if you really feel that way, maybe you shouldn't pull the trigger? :roll: :) No I would be proud that you hunted your butt off and have two deer in the freezer! There are so many of us that go year after year and not even see anything. It was my 5th year hunting before I got my first buck. I am learning more and more every time I go out and having alot of fun doing it! No I would be proud of what you got! :wink:

6. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Super points lever,at 200 yards I couldn't tell how big my doe was due to not having a reference point or anything to size it with.The buck was 125 yards and I knew he was butt ugly before I pulled the trigger.Your right, I should be proud,theres meat in the freezer that wasn't there before the season and I too saw some beautiful country.I'm just tired and sore,I'm getting old and all this iron and metal in my back don't help.I saw a cougar that never saw me,I watched her for an hour,I almost got stepped on by elk early in the morning,I was in their walking path.Some people that has had the operation I had don't do anything anymore so I'm glad I got out and hunted.I met some great people,drank homemade wine and slept without medication for the first time since my operation.Your right,I have alot to be thankfull for and when I get some rest I will be proud.Keep reminding me buddy,we all have alot to be thankfull for wheather we got an animal or not,just making it through another season is something to be thankfull for,some folks didn't.We had a hunter die from a heart attack(49 years old,he smoked cuban cigars),1 from hyperthermia and 2 that have yet to be identified.Just joking about the cigars,my dad used to say the best things in life are a ice cold beer,a nice women and a good cigar.Keep in touch bud.Drop-Shot

7. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

Now that is the spirit pard! :D

How many folks go out and just get all po'd that they didn't get something and didn't realize they saw something they probably will never see again in their entire life? Like a sunset? or a Sunrise? Ya just gotta think back and enjoy what is delt to you in your life and make the best of it.

Now get some rest and get your butt back out there tomorrow and bring home that elk! And take a camera this time! :D :D :D

8. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Now thats words of wisdom 8) ...............

9. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Just got in and no elk this year,I was invited on a goose hunt thursday and will try that.All in all I got 3 deer,1 doe was for donation,1 for the freezer and a small battle worn buck.I know folks that didn't get anything so I feel good about this year.Lever are you getting snow?It snowed all day and at times so hard I only had a 10-20 feet visibility,I saw alot of nothing but had a good day and will sleep good tonight.By next year I hope to get a digital camera so posting pictures will be faster and easier.Drop-Shot

10. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

Drop,
    No. I have clear skys and it is 25 degrees out right now. I got the BBQ going and drinking some dark beer and smoking a montecristo. MMMMmmmmmmm Good! :D

I am going out for M/L Spike Elk this Friday. Then I want to try my hand at some goose hunting as well! I just think it would be a kick in the pants to have goose that I brought home for Christmas supper! :wink:

Good luck Drop and keep us posted!