Drop Shot: To all the guns we've loved before...

Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by TXVAshooter, Jan 18, 2005.

1. TXVAshooter

TXVAshooter Guest

Drop-Shot-

I've been reading your posts online for a while now, and man oh man, you must have a heck of a group of guns at your finger tips. Pray tell sir, enlighten us as to all the guns you've owned. I'd love to see the list, or even part of the list.

TxVa

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That would be anextensive list but I for one would love to see it. I enjoy reading your stories and your opinions. Not only would I enjoy seeing the list I would like to hear your favorite set up for Elk hunting.

3. Drop Shot,

I too would like to hear about your guns. From reading your posts I bet you have some interesting stories to tell. Take care.

4. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

OK DS, inquiring minds want to know 8)

5. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Ok lets start with the guns I got rid of and enjoyed shooting,I've contacted an old uncle and he agrees that the winchester in 32win special is my gun he borrowed when my dad had all of us move to france.The worst 18 months ever.My uncle got my winchester 32 and a 12 guage H&R topper model single shot,he has to run that down to find it.I got my marlin model 39 golden A,no scope but I used to keep the coyote population in hand,at 2.00 per hide I used to clean up.I bought a new savage 99 in 300 savage in the 60's,the gun set on the shelf for years,it was made in 58 I think,I don't know to this day what happened to that gun,I think I traded for something.I got into bigger guns and pistols.I bought a remington700 in 308 with a leupold 4x scope,remington 700adl in 300 savage with a redfield 2-7 widefield and killed many deer at morn and evening.I have a rem700adl 243 that I don't shoot,I got it cheap cause some one tried to do his own trigger job,It waits and a 700 BDL 30/06 with a bolt problem.I have to have a bolt tool and a warm place to work to fix that.I have a ruger 77 tang saftey 30/06,I have killed 15 elk in 17 years with it.It has an ear buster on it for a couple years and I'm gonna take it off.It wears a leupold 3-9X40 VXll thats only a couple years old.I have another 30/06 rem 742 with a leupold 3-9X40VXll I have a browning BLR I put my old leupold on cause my daughter was going to hunt with it,scope is leupold 3-9X42 and very accurate,my antelope gun,I've never missed with that gun on antelope.I have another BLR 358 and like the other all steel,it wears a leupold VXlll 2-8X36 accurate.I have a marlin 1894 44 mag with a tasco4x scope,marlin 336 30/30 leupold 4x scope,marlin 336 in 35 rem,I had the leupold 4x on it but need to buy it one.Marlin 1895 45/70 with 26 inch octgan barrell never shot,will use appeture sites if I get well enough to shoot it.Weatherby vanguard 300 weatherby mag with a leupold VXlll3.5-14X40 super accurate.Oh I forgot I have a 44 mag semi auto that don't work.It's at ruger right now.They want to trade me out of it,seems no more parts are available.I shoot a 50 cal blackpowder gun and a 45 cal hawkins style.I shoot balls mostly.I have a winchester 94 30/30 with a 18 inch barrell and a 94 with a 22 inch barrell.I sold the 18 inch barrell and will barter with the 22 inch winchester.I really miss my marlin 375,I know I have more powerfull guns but that 375 was a real deer killer.I also have a winchester 70 in 338 win mag with a leupold VXll3-9X40,I also have a gun I almost forgot,a pump rossi 22 mag.I most likely will remmember some rifles later.Now the shot guns,I have a fox bse my uncle the judge has along with my winchester 32 win special,awinchester super turky special,12 guage,never shot,a mossberg 9 shot persuader,a mossberg 12 guage 30 inch full choke.A Ithica featherlight 37 in 12 guage that will knock you on your butt.A remington 1100 12 guage 2 3/4 only,a remington 870 wingmaster,3inch.a stevens side by side 16 guage,a bikial 12 guage with screw in chokes,a Bakial 20 guage with nickel reciever,never shot,stevens 410 single barrell.I may remmember more shotguns later,pistols,In the 70's -80's I shot shilloutte all magnum revolver class.I had 4 357 magnums,2-blackhawks 3 screw,2 pythons,1 41 mag smith&Wesson,4 44mags,2 super blackhawks,71/2 inch barrell and 10 inch barrell.I was the only one to shoot loose a frame on a superblackhawk.I had a Dan Wesson 44 mag and a Smith&Wesson 8 3/8 inch barrell.All are gone I,m sad to say.I have a Smith%Wesson 629 4 inch barrell for back packing with 300 gr castcores,Taurus model 44 6 inch barrell,ported,you better have on protection when you shoot that.A ruger sp 101 357 mag,charterarms undercover 38 special,an H&R western style 22 long nine shot double action,I reblued the gun I bought for almost nothing,a freedom arms 22 mag widowmaker with holster and rug,now semi-autos,Glock 21 Glock 19 9mm.magnum research baby eagle nine,9mm,Smith&Wesson 1006 10mm from the fbi when they swihed over to 40 cal,S&W reworked the pistol and gave a lifetime warrenty,taurus pt111 9mm,S&W mod 41 22 semi auto pistol.I think thats all,I have also an airgun from russia that they shoot in matches.A couple bb and pellet guns and thats about all.The gun I will never part with while alive is the ruger 77 30/06,we have killed alot of time and animals,I can't count all the deer and 15 elk.One I shot too close and the partition didnot have time to open well,a second shot fixed that.I had a remington 7mm mag and leupold scope that I sold to get over here in washington.I personally found no practical advantage of 7mm mag over 30/06 or the other way too,use what you have.I've Killed so many animals that I feel like the exacutioner.People had animals that they loved too much and I killed them for them,they could't do it.We killed a pig every year and a bull calf every 2 years and I was stuck with doing it.The doctor told me the other day(7th) that I am a matchstick away from a wheel chair or the bed so my killing days may be over.I am very muscular and he said to build up my back and abs and mabe I could cheat the wheel chair longer than expected.I've had a good life and I have killed about every thing at one time or another,some know what I mean,so if I never kill again I will be ok.If I left anything out I will repost just that and not all the other stuff.We all are close to death and don't know it,it's not a friend but it can be less of an enemy.God Bless all and PROTECT THAT BACK.Drop-Shot

6. wired

wired Guest

Holy Third-World Invasion, Batman! That's a lot of hardware. If you ever get bored with any of them, I've got an extra slot or two in my cabinet......

I would have to agree with you on the Ruger M77, though. Mine is a Mark II in .308, but it is one of the firearms I would never sell. I'd sell my M1A first. Those M77s are sweet.

7. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Guys I forgot alot,I had a remington 700 in 270 and for some unexplained reason I traded for a ruger 25/06,I had to chase almost all animals shot by the 25/06 and all animals I shot with a 270 died on the spot.I owned at least 4 336 marlins in 30/30 and owened a 444 marlin for 1 season,I traded it to the snap-on man for tools.I owned a 455 webley&scott,good luck finding ammo for it,I also owned and shot a colt 38 longcolt for several years.I owned a parker shotgun with damascus steel,it was for looking at not shooting,I traded it.I had a long tom 36 inch barrell,a stevens single shot 22 rifle a smith&wesson pocket pistol22 short,I didn't know it was worth a fortune.I own a 32 police positive.It's in storage.I also have a H&R 32 S&W pistol.I forgot about the stoeger double barrell double triggers under my bed.I think thats all.Drop-Shot

8. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

wired thats a good rifle,I want to get my son a markll but in 30/06,he has his heart set on 06,for larger bullets,and thats the caliber his grandfather shot in the Korean war.He thinks nothing is better so thats what I will get for him.I promised that when we get back to Montana I would get his own rifle.I asked why he didn't want to go hunting with me and he told me point blank,I don't like getting up early.If we go at lunch till dark that would be fine.I want him to get his first bear,heck he has only shot rabbits with a 22.A bear or an elk would be the next best thing to me getting one.Drop-Shot

9. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

8point,your turn.try to remmember the ones you have hidden.Drop-Shot

10. grimel

grimel Guest

I feel better now. At least I'm not the only idiot that sells/trades perfectly fine guns and regrets it later.

11. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Aint that a bummer grimel.I would give my neighbors left torso to have some of the guns back,if he keeps giving me more problems I will increase that offer,I may be wounded but I'm not dead.Drop-Shot

12. TXVAshooter

TXVAshooter Guest

DS-

:shock: That's a lot of smoke poles and firesticks! :lol: A long legacy I am certain of fine firearms. I've not touched even 1/2 of those in my 29 years, but many you listed, I've had the pleasure to shoot. Loved them all, and wish I had a garage big enough to own all the guns I want. I'll post my limited number of guns in a bit, fairs fair!

I hear you on the Ruger Mk II, my grandfather had one in 243 and 06. My father has both since he passed away. Many a deer fell to both guns. My grandfather is one of the reasons I got into hunting, with strong enocuragement from my dad, too. Paw Paw passed on 3 years back, and he's sorely missed, but everytime I kill a deer, I know he's a watching upstairs. I'm a Savage guy, but I'll always keep those Rugers in the family when it's my turn to shoot 'em.

13. skog

skog Guest

DS - do you have a fortified room in your house to store all thoses bang bangs or a lot of safes? Maybe you just have a really really big bed to keep them all under.

skog

14. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

If all of 'em are under his bed,he has to use a stepladder to get in and out. Sleepwalking would be a [email protected]!

Hey,Ds,
    Thanks for sharing with us.

Tom,

GOOD SUGGESTION!!!!
    You doing okay?

15. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Skog some is under the bed but most are in safes,1 is a 25 gun safe and the other is a cheapee 10 gun safe.I have a few that don't fit in the safes and I soaked them in rust preventative,wrapped them in news paper and taped them tight.I put some in a big box and put another big box over the first and just pushed it down till it bottomened out and taped them togather.It will work till I get another safe but I'll wait till I get to Montana for the next one.Drop-Shot

16. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

HWD I have good days but I don't do much,I'm slowley packing for Montana.I can do little there as well as here.I think we have already found a house and will have to put some more things in storage.We already have a storage compartment there.The house we are looking at don't have a garage as of now but in the summer we can add one and make a room for me to work in,and still be under budget.Drop-Shot

17. TXVAshooter

TXVAshooter Guest

HWD-

Good man, I am hanging in there. The first days were hell, but with a lot o prayer and Scriptures, the days look up. It's still a tough thing, but I'm making it.

DS,

My gun collection is not as extensive. The current stable finds me with a two lefty rifles, a .243 and a 7 mag, both Savage, scoped with loopys, 2x7 and soon a 3x9 for the 7 mag. There's a breakdown browning 22 in the mix, a NEF 223 bull barreled single shot, too. A few pistols, a sp101 in .357 for conceal carry, a .45 ruger for HD, and a .22 single six for plinking. Got a Blackhawk 44 pistol for deer hunting. Shottys include a Ithacs 37 pump in 20 guage. A belgian browning sweet 16, an Ithaca NID SxS 12 guage, and Ithaca/SKB 600 12 guage O/U, and a verona sx-401 12 guage.

Past guns include more .357s blackhawks and security sixes than i can remember, a few p-89s and p-94s. Ruger bull barreled 22-250, and a savage 300 mag. Still wish I'd kept the 22-250. Other gun wish I'd kept was a Winchester 94 in a .44 mag.

Several more guns with my name on them in the family I'll get when that time comes. I know that time will come, but I don't like the notion.

SAfe shooting-
    TxVa

18. grimel

grimel Guest

That's 55 by my quick count. You've done some trading!

19. wired

wired Guest

DS, since you're such a nice guy and since we're such good buddies, I was wondering if you could do me a huge favor. If your M77 has open sights, would you be kind enough to measure the height of it for me? I didn't get mine with open sights. I should have held out for one with, but I was getting an awesome deal on this one. I don't like not having iron sights on a rifle, and it's about time I get some. I found a place where I can order a nice set of them, I just need to know how tall a front blade I need. Thanks if you can help out, but it's okay if you can't (there's a Cabela's nearby that I can take my calipers to).

20. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Wired I don't have iron sights on my 77.If you have iron sights installed,be sure to get the lowest setting sight so it won't interfere with a clear scope.My 308 remington has iron sights and I get the front sight in my scope at all times.There are good benifits to iron sights but adding them will change the harmonics in the barrell and will affect the point of impact.It's a 2 edged sword,there are benifits and down falls.I stick with above average optics and have never had a scope to fail me in the field.Me and another guy,a friend was standing on a ledge on a mountain outside of Helena and didn't know the ledge was undercut and we fell with tons of dirt and rocks.The slope was not straight down but hard to walk up.I used my rifle and scope to brake my fall each time I rolled and had to clean my scope of dirt and debris but it was fine,my friend wasn't as lucky,one of his cross hairs broke.Point is buy the best optics you can and hope for the best or have iron sights installed or both.I have them on some guns but not on my weatherby or ruger 77.Good luck friend and let us know what you do.Drop-Shot