Drop Shot

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by 8pointduck, Sep 27, 2005.

1. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

OK NOW ! Where is my buddy Drop Shot

2. Maser

Maser Super Member

hes busy cleaning his .50 bmg

3. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

He's floating around somewhere I know he was on a couple days ago

4. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

I just saw him in the big game section.
    See if he's on shotguworld.com

5. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

8point,I'm back.Health problems have kept me down a bit,on different medication now and I'm back I think.Have you seen the BIG boy yet?We got snow above 5000 feet and I'm gonna try to go thursday with my bow and look around,a friend got his bull last week,it almost run him down,he shot it out of self defense.Nice bull.Drop-Shot

6. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

8point you have to check out the 35 whelen,I went to the range early this morning and watched as guys were shooting 200 and 300 yard targets.Some of the guys were better than average shots but all was shooting at a stack of plywood glued together about 10 inches thick.3 feet by 3 feet with a target.They asked what I shoot and I told them 35 whelen this year,several laughed and asked if I would like to try to even hit the 200 yard target,that 225 gr nosler will drop like a brick one said.I held over 3 inches and hit 1 1/2 inches above the center and busted a huge hunk of plywood out of the back,we all went up to the 200 yard target and most of the bullets they shot didn't even exit the plywood target,one shot a 338 win mag 200 gr and it exited but not with the explosiveness the 225 partition did.All were impressed,we went back to the bench and all took turns shooting my rifle,I had 30 rounds loaded and they shot them all,from 200 yards to 400 yards it continued to make huge exit wounds on the plywood targets,way more than the 338 win mag,300 win mag,300wsm,7mm mag and 280.I wish I had a camera with me as I was so impressed that I ordered 2 more boxes of 225 gr nosler partitions.The hornady 250 gr was almost as lethal but dropped about 10 inches more than the partitions at 400 yards.I've found my new best friend.Drop-Shot

7. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

You know DS. I don't even own any rifle larger than .30 caliber. I guess its time to go shoping again :wink: . What do you think about the 350 Remington Mag

8. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

8point...

35 Whalen 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D :D
    350 Rem Mag. :) :) :) :)

I have chosen the Whalen, as you can use 30-06 brass in a pinch and the pressures can be kept down. Also, no belt on the Whalen. :!:

BOTH are excellent!!

9. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

8point I have to agree with L2S,the 350 rem mag is nice but the 35 whelen has been around since 1922,since you reload the cost of brass won't be a problem but if you ever want to sell it you will have to find the right person.They are very close in velocity but the 35 whelen has more potential though,there are so many rifles chambered in 35 whelen that all cartridge companys load for the older weak recievers also.The 35 remington is a nice cartridge also,less powerfull than the 35 whelen but will make impressive kills out to 150 yards,my marlin 336 with a scope shoots impressive groups at 75 yards and I have never recovered a 35 rem bullet,all deer and 1 bear and several hogs fell instantly.If you ever get to hunt elk or moose the 35 whelen would be right at home.Great cartridge!,check out 35cal.com.Drop-Shot

10. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Good to see dropshot back on, was kinda quiet with out ya around. Oh by the by check out the hand lapping post.

11. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Cook not only do I hand lapp my barrels I lapp my locking lugs too,it made a difference on my winchester mod 70 338 win mag.One lug showed minimal contact and the other showed about 70% contact.I just finished lapping the lugs on my semi-auto rem 742 and the gun shoots more consistant groups now.Its still no bolt gun but now with loaded down 165 gr hornadys I can shoot consistant 2.00 inch groups.Drop-Shot

12. Pat T

Pat T Moderator

Hey Mike-

Does lapping the bolt lugs change the headspace at all that you know of?

13. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Lapping won't take off enough to change headspace,I have seen cutters you put on a drill after you take the barrel out and thats the first thing I thought about,I will leave the cutting with lathes and drill attatchments to gunsmiths.I take off enough metal to give equal force against the case,I was shown this procedure by a gunsmith down south,use light abrasives and work at it longer,course abrasives works faster but you leave a jagged finish,light abrasives take longer but make a smooth surface to engage the internal locking recievers.Drop-Shot