Drop Shot

Discussion in 'Big Game' started by grimel, Jan 26, 2005.

1. grimel

grimel Guest

In your 2005 plans you mentioned elk and moose, what are you planning on using for them and what range?? I might have some lightweight 200+ yard ideas that would be pleasant to shoot.

2. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Hi Grimel,I was planning on my newly rebarrelled 30/06,I have killed alot of animals with other calibers but I always come back to that ruger 30/06.Did you have anything in mind?Drop-Shot

3. grimel

grimel Guest

Some of those good ol' boys we forget about every now and then:
    6.5x55, 257 Roberts, & 7x57

And some of the 444 based JDJ rounds - 338 JDJ specifically.

But, you're looking at a 30-06, unless you use one of the good ol' boys above the recoil won't be that much diff with the 338JDJ and the 30-06.

The more I think about it, the more I think I need a 257 Roberts and/or a 6.5x55. It's just hard to justify another rifle with a 30-06 in the stable.

4. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Grimel I have been looking at cartdridges that are not used as much as they used to.That 6.5X55 has my attention along with 35 whelen.I know the 35 whelen kicks more that 257 roberts so it would make sense that I need at least 2 more rifles,right?While we are talking about cartdriges not used as much as before is the 300 H&H,8point said it was a great round and I would love to have one when I can afford one.But you are right the smaller rounds are good killers also,as my condition either gets worse or better I will check on the smaller rounds.Thanks for the information buddy.Drop-Shot

5. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I forgot to add grimel that I bought a 30/06 ackley improved and could not find ammo at all and the reloading dies was going to cost a fortune so I traded it back for a rem 700 in 308.I try to stay with rifles that have ammo on the shelves.The 2 big gun stores here both have 35 whelen ammo.I plan to reload but if all else fails I can at least go and buy ammo.Some of the jdj's and ssk's as well as others are reload only.I would buy one but then again I have several rifles to fall back on.Drop-Shot