dual pillar bedding vs. free floating barrel

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by elderberry99, Nov 28, 2005.

1. elderberry99

elderberry99 Guest

I need to know what the difference is between the dual pillar bedding, and the free floating barrel and the advantage and disadvantages of each.
    I have read where different rifles have each, but that does not explain to me the difference. I am trying to get some understanding of these terms.
    Thanks

2. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Dual pillar bedding vs barrel freefloating

Pillar bedding is 2 pillars(cylindrical metal tubes)placed in the stock to stablize the reciever,mine were about 3/8 diameter and had to drill a hole in the reciever pocket of the stock a little larger than the pillars.Very Important is the equal drilled holes to accept the pillars,you almost always have a slightly raised reciever so you most likely will have a freefloated barrel,you have to bed the action in the stock when you have what you want(level and freefloated barrel) and the bedding compound will flow around the pillars making them solid and part of the stock,be sure to used plenty of mold release so the reciever can be removed.There is a full length support in some stocks that extends down several inches on the barrel and alot of folks that use them have good accuracy and wouldn't consider the freefloated barrel concept.Both work well,some rifles shoot better with 1 method and not the other,I personally like the freefloated barrel method.I hope that helps as I'm not an expert,just a do it your self kind of guy(my wife calls it a cheapskate kinda guy).Drop-Shot

3. elderberry99

elderberry99 Guest

Thanks Drop-shot,
    I got it all figured out already!
    I guess I was having a "brain freeze" when I asked about this topic!