Elk camp

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by Levergun, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

I know it is off topic but I just want ya'll to know I will be gone for the next 5 days. Headin' up to Elk camp right now! See ya Thursday. :D

2. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Hope you get one Lever :)

3. El Padrino

El Padrino Guest

What caliber rifle are you bringing?

4. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Its thursday night lever,did you get anything?Drop-Shot

5. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Yea tell us the details :)

6. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

If he don't answer 8point it might be a good thing,like a biggun down and hauling it out.I'm going sunday with an over the counter elk and deer tag and bear also.Where I plan on going its a closed area for browtine elk unless you are drawn,I can only shoot a spike or a cow.Next week I can go to the browtine area and shoot any browtine,no cow or spike.This year I just want meat in the freezer,1 elk,1 buck and 1 doe.Drop-Shot

7. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Sounds good to me. One of these days when I save enough money I might get me one.. :)

8. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

No elk yet for me. Real rough hunting in a steep area and a full moon. I am going to get some evening hunts in this week and then hit it hard again next weekend. I have an Elk, deer, bear and lion tag. I would be happy at this point to get any of the above. But deer should be no problem. I am waiting until Nov. to take a deer unless I see a real nice buck. I'll wait till they are in the rut and maybe I'll catch a nice buck chasing a doe!

9. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Is Drop hunting Elk? I think he typed something about going. Just been wondering where he is.

10. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

It is my understanding that he is. Not sure how long. Hopefully he'll have a pic or two ready for us when he gets back! :wink:

11. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Just checking in,I haven't gotten my elk yet,saw 3 shooters today but was over 400 yards.A few days ago I saw a rough scored 401 bull killed and a 406 was killed later that day.I can shoot browtines there and have abandoned my first instint,I was going for a spike or cow but I quit hunting them, I'm on 3 bulls now,saw them again today.I'm waiting for the 6x6 to walk in under 300 yards,I've been waiting for 200 yards or less but its not happening.With a good rest my 300 weatherby mag will do the job.Not being able to walk far is killing me,I'm going again tomarrow and will report.Drop-Shot

12. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

Good luck Drop and make sure you post a pic when ya get back! :wink:

13. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Will do lever,I saw some nice muley bucks today but I don't have a tag for that area,only over the counter deer I can get in this huge section is whitetail buck and 1 whitetail doe and a spike elk.Not too far from there starts a area that would let me take muley bucks,and browtine elk, I want to get over there this week again.I will figure out how to post pictures.Have a good hunt guys.Drop-Shot

14. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

If you get a good pic, I'll put it on my website and show you how to post it. Real easy! Good luck pard!

15. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Have a good hunt Drop :)

16. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I just got in guys and man I'm disapointed.I hunted a different place and walked a ridge at 9500 feet high,I walk slow anyway and at 9500 feet I'm like molasses,thats a good thing,at 10:30 I saw 3 cow elk and I left them unmolested and walked about 1/4 of a mile and saw 3 elk bodies with trees stopping me from seeing their heads,I figured the cow elk had moved over,when I saw they were 3 bulls they were going over a hill,I rushed to get closer and they ran down the hill and a road hunter killed the last one and smallest.5X5,I asked if he had seen the other elk and he had not,he said he was watching the other way and turned around and saw the elk crossing the road and started shooting.He was using a 7mm mag and shot 4 times I think,he hit the elk high in the shoulder and next 2 shots hit high also and ruined alot of back strap.He had his gun sighted for 300 yards dead on and hunted for long shots but shot this elk at less than 70 yards.Thats too much math and he payed for it with lost meat.No elk for Drop-Shot today but I will score,I just don't know when.I'm tired and going to bed guys.Drop-Shot

17. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

Sad story! :cry: I hiked my butt off and on my last day watched a 4 wheeler taking out a nice 5x5. I guess us brush beaters are pushing the elk to some lucky road hunter. Keep your head up pard and good luck on your next outing.

I am going out for deer tomorrow morning. We have snow on the mountains now and are geting more tonight. Temp is down to 36 at my house and may snow down here tonight! I think it's gonna be a good day tater! :D

18. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Are you seeing anything lever?We got way too much snow up top,I'm trying a place alot lower tomarrow,I'll let you know what happens.Drop-Shot

19. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

Drop,
    My season ended on the 3rd of Nov. I did not see one elk. I know they are there, just too much country for them to travel through that I can't get through.

But of course, I was on my way up to deer hunt Sunday morning the 6th, 3 days after season closed on elk, and in a private property field about 2 miles up the road from my house, was about 20 head of frickin' elk! Now the big question that puzzles me, Are they really down that low instead of high? I am thinking they are.

During Sundays hunt, which is low elevation, I took a hike up a small canyon and around the bowl. As I got towards the top of this bowl I ran into a freeway! I followed it across and through a bunch a dead fall and I saw more elk sign and rubs then I did the entire 9 days I was hunting up high! :shock: There was far more elk sign then deer sign.

As I dropped back down into the bowl, there was far more deer sign and alot less elk sign. Now I am hunting deer now so I did not follow the elk sign. But based on what I saw Sunday moring on the way up, I would say your better bet might be to stay down around 4000 ft.

The deer are not in the rut yet over here. We kicked up a buck Sunday and he didn't even hesitate to look back at all. We have not seen any scrapes yet, just rubs. I passed on a doe Saturday that was only about 150# and with yearling that was no more than 75#. It's still early in the season, so I let her go. I was actually hoping that there was a nice little buck following them. Nope, just the two of them. So I don't think they are in the rut yet at all. I think in two weeks they will be full rut. Right around Thanksgiving.

But back to elk, I think you should try lower. We have snow on the bitter roots down to 3500 feet. The higher I went, the less sign I saw during season. As I dropped down from 6000 to 5000 ft. I saw much more sign. The sign I saw Sunday was at about 4500 ft or less. So try that.

How many more days do you have in the season?

20. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

We have till nov 27th I think,its 1 month here.I'll tell you what I did,I took some doe in heat urine,tinks and some buck in rut urine,also tinks,I put some a cotton ball and put it in a tree limb and poured a little on the ground under a tree where no snow fell.That was 1 week ago and I went back this morning and it was so tore up I thought an elk had done it.I followed the tracks it was indeed a buck,his tracks were huge.I put some more mixture down will check it tomarrow.They arn't in the rut but getting close and a mixture like I put down sure made some buck nervous,I would like to see him and plan on just that.I think you are right about the elk,the snow fell again at 5000 ft and above a day ago and I think the ones I want are lower,I know a spot that no one has hunted as of yet and its at about 4500 ft,very light snow on west sides and no snow on east sides,thats my spot tomarrow,I hope no one else has the same idea.Thanks for the tip bud.Drop-Shot