factory 30-06 ammo for white tail

Discussion in 'Center Fire' started by hunter, Sep 23, 2005.

1. hunter

hunter Guest

what kinds of factory 30-06 ammo is everyone using for whitetail?

2. Pat T

Pat T Moderator

None, we reload our '06s for deer and have for about 20 years now. If I were to use factory loads, I'd probably go with the Federal premium stuff with the Ballistic Tip bullets. About the closest thing to a good handload you could find IMHO.

3. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Remington 180gr Core-Lokt PSP is and excellent factory load. It won't damage as much meat as the 150 or 165gr loads, on average, and has always performed well for me when I needed to buy, instead of reload.

4. grimel

grimel Guest

Absolutely zero need for premium bullets in a 30-06 for whitetail deer. We (that being my family) us 180gr Rem Core-lockts. Somewhere upwards of a few hundred deer, black bears, and boars. Minimal tracking (nothing over 100yds so far). Something to be said for hitting where you aim.

Find what YOUR rifle likes 150gr or more (I stay with 180 because we always have). Nothing wrong with the premiums, if that's what your rifle shoots use them; but, if your rifle shoots 3" groups with premiums don't use them (I did have a 7mm-08 that shot 5" with Nosler BT's & <2" with anything else - weird), use what is shoots well.

5. wired

wired Guest

I'll toss another vote in for the Core-Lokts. Fancy-schmancy bullets are fun to sit around the fire and talk about, but for hunting animals like whitetail, a simple soft-pointed bullet works quite well. Save the premium bullets for big elk and other such large animals.

Having said that, the factory ammo from Remy with those things on the end will work well. I would also recommend reloading. Your rifle might like one kind of ammo or another, but you can make sure your rifle likes it if you load it yourself. Besides, reloading is fun and you learn a heck of a lot of stuff about your rifle and ammo that you never knew before. I'm a recent convert to the reloading world, and I'm kicking myself for not doing it earlier. I'll also echo the 180-grainers. .30-06 works best with bullets 165-grain and over. I'd probably lean more towards the rounded Core-Lokts, especially if you shoot the deer at less than 200 yards (which is where most people shoot them anyway).

6. Pat T

Pat T Moderator

In the early 80's I was using your beloved PSP core-locked TWICE, once on a huge 8 point at about 150 yards. I saw the hit right in the lungs through the scope. Deer dropped then took off at a sprint for 500 yards (I later found out). This was just about an hour before dark with no snow that year. Couldn't track him until the next morning, then found the gut pile where another hunter took him home. A couple years after that, same deal on a doe at about 75 yards, she ran for about 200 yards right into another guy. Found her as he was tagging the deer. Personally, I'd rather have meat in my freezer, not someone elses. That's what prompted the search for a more effective bullet. You guys like them-fine. I know what works better. Since the switch to the BT bullets, I have anchored every deer with one shot.

7. grimel

grimel Guest

Re: re: factory 30-06 ammo for white tail

I am truely impressed. Never met anyone who could recover from 30-06 recoil and reaquire the target quick enough at 150yds to see the bullet strike through their scope.

8. Pat T

Pat T Moderator

Then I guess you ought to get better with a rifle than you are with your wise ass remarks.

9. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I got to agree with grimel if we are talking of the standard field weight guns in 30-06 but could see it if one had a rather heavy gun like a Browning BAR or if it was ported. I do know what I'm doing behind a trigger, I have a couple cups and some ribbons packed away somewhere for 600, 800, and 1,000 yard matches using a 30/378 and 50 BMG.
    I'd have to guess the bullets went a little wide or high and maybe clipped the very edge of the lungs based on your description. A whitetail will drop well within 100 yards with a hit dead center in both lungs with a 180 gr, 30 caliber expanding bullet. There is just too much tissue damage and blood loss for anything to happen otherwise. Better bullet placement would have changed the outcome, you just got unlucky and experienced what happens to everyone who pulls the trigger often enough.
    Back on topic, any standard 150-180 gr bullet will work just fine on whitetails in the 30-06. I prefer 165 gr bullets but I did use a number of 180s over the years. The 150s are best if shots are typically 100 yards or more, under that and they do not hold together well and do not reliably exit at all angles which I prefer.

10. grimel

grimel Guest

Umm, wrong person to try and blow smoke. There is that nasty thing called recoil. To see the impact at 150yds you have to recover from recoil and re-aquire the animal in less than 0.17 sec. Even with a ported heavy barrelled 30-06 recovering from the recoil would at best be marginally accomplished in that time frame.

11. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

I've been involved in well over 500 successful hunts, about half of them mine, and the Remington Core-Lokt bullet has performed well when it was used on one of these hunts. I have had animals get away from me in all that time, sometimes while using whatever ammo was available, and sometimes using premium bullets in premium ammo. It is going to happen once in a while.

All in all, the Core-Lokt 180 gr in 30 caliber guns is an excellent all around choice. There is no magic pill, however.

By the way, Pat, Boat Tail bullets tend to blow the cores out their A$$E$, and have large incidences of failure, accordingly. I'm not trying to be confrontational, here. I'm just stating facts. I use BT bullets, myself, for long range hunting like antelope and Couse deer. Then I use Ballistic Tips in Boat Tail designs. I even use a 250 Ballistic Tip in my 9,3X74R double rifles and combo guns for plains game, instead of the traditional 286gr semi-pointed bullets.

One thing I don't like about Ballistic Tip bullets...most on the market, that is...is the fact that they tend to be quite soft and fragment badly upon impact. Even the Nosler Ballistic Tips are prone to do this. :x

12. Pat T

Pat T Moderator

Luv2-

A lot of the bullet properties you describe about the BT is what makes them a more effective deer-stopper. I will be the first one to say they should not be used on game any heavier than our eastern whitetail. But for them, I think this bullets performance far exceeds that which I've witnessed form the PSP. I just don't believe the PSP expands enough to put a quick stop on a deer, and many times doesn't leave enough of a blood trail. I have used the BT bullets on about 2 dozen deer now, and have never had a "failure". In fact, I've never recovered the bullets, they have all been put completely through the deers body at varying angles and ranges from 30 to 250 yards and straight on to completely facing away. The hydrostatic shock generated in the vitals by these bullets immediately shuts them down. The farthest I've had one travel after being hit is 30 yards. Whatever, apparently our minds are all made up, and aren't going to change.

Grimel - truthfully and honestly I have seen the fur fly through the scope on shots at a deer, and known where the bullet has hit. That's all I can tell you.

13. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:shock: Not to hijack the thread, but recoil was mentioned a couple times... shooting my .375 from a rest, I saw ONCE the impact of my 75 yard shot on a milk jug. Never had that happen but once, though... :?: mysteries :?: :twisted: :twisted:
    ///olde 8) pharte///

14. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

If I can't use handloads, I like factory Core-lokt 150 grains out of my 30-06. Core-lokts have worked great every time I pulled the trigger on a whitetail in the various calibers I've used the factory loads in.

15. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Pat,

Your point is well taken, and you'll get no argument here. Bullets need to be used that suit the game and conditions. Under your hunting conditions, you appear to have made a good choice. As I said, I use the same bullets as you for somewhat smaller animals and wouldn't change. They are perfect for antelope.! :D

16. gator

gator Guest

First, I don't have a horse in this race.
    Secondly, I view this site for entertainment, to learn, and converse with others around the country with the common interest of firearms.
    I've always liked this site because it always seems respectful of others unlike some other sites. Enough on that !

On the subject of seeing a bullets impact thru the scope; I can honestly say I can't remember it happening to me with the exception of target/varmint rifles at the range.
    However, I got to thinking that it might be possible if the scope was on a low power setting with a large field of view.
    Just a thought.

17. jcwat

jcwat Super Member

i just picked up some swift scirocco 150gr .30-06. thet should be great for 300-400 yrd shots. does anyone have any info on this round? i might get to go out to texas for a whitetail hunt.

18. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

jc,

They have a poor reputation for accuracy and tend to fragment badly. I tried them on African plains game and had terrible results.

I hear that Swift is possibly re-doing their design. I sure hope so. The Nosler Ballistic Tips are a far better choice, IMHO.

I, too, had to try the Swifts, but won't hunt with them again. The Swift A-Frame is a fantastic bullet!!!

19. jcwat

jcwat Super Member

i'm going to the range this coming wed. i'll get back with the results. hopefully all will go well.

20. jcwat

jcwat Super Member

just got back from the range, after 25 rounds,(10 mil surplus & 15 scricco) i strung 4 of the last 5.(@100 yrds) the 4 shot of the series went high by a qrt inch, the other 4 were all touching (shoot&see target) all in all the 5 shots can be covered by a soda can.