Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, want a fun gun. I'm leaning toward the Browning BL-22 because of the short throw, but read somewhere that the Marlin 39A is more accurate. Any recommendations between these two or other lever action 22lr?

· Registered
918 Posts
There's also the Henry .22 lever action.... comes in two styles. Brass receiver and Octagon barrel (pricey) or Anodized black receiver and Round barrel (about $200).

If you're worried about accuracy, get a bolt gun or a 10/22 target gun.

The lever guns are best suited as carry guns with iron sights or low-power scopes (for old eyes) for plinking, bunny hunting, and close-in varmint control.

Any of the guns mentioned, as well as the Winchester 94/22 would be just fine.

· Registered
27 Posts
I have a BL-22 and its very accurate with Eley high velocity hollow points but not with any thing else.The Browning,Marlin,Winchester all seem to shoot good from what I here,the Henry from what I here shoots good to but they use cheaper matireals in the construction so I dought it will last two lifetimes like the others.When I went shopping for mine I looked at all three,the Marlin ,Browning and the winchester I choose the browning because of the short action and it being a little smaller than the rest(its also the best looking),and they wanted $100 more for the winchester.I'll bet the winchester is even higher now.I dont think you can go wrong with any of them. This is what my browning will do at 60 yards(.338)your results probably wont be the same,my browning is accurate, short,
light and fast a deadly combo.

· Registered
162 Posts
I have a Winchester 9422 XTR and absolutely love it. It is in my opinion one of the nicest rifles I own. The action is super smooth, it's plenty accurate out at 50yds, and it is made top notch (mine was made sometime in the mid 80's I think). The walnut is pretty, the metal is deep blued, and the checkering is sharp and deep. A bushnell 4x rimfire scope sits on top of it, but it looks and carries even better without it (but I shoot much better with the scope :oops: ). It just has that right heft and slim lines that made it's big brother the Mod 94 famous.

I don't care for the Browning BL-22. It is too short, and the forearm on it looks too squared off. I was also suprised at how stiff the lever worked on the 2 I've handled.

I've never handled a Marlin 39, but from all accounts they shoot great and are very nice. Seem like they have a long barrel on them for a 22 lever, but...

The Henry lever 22's are a cheaper knock off of a Win 9422- shoot fine and handle good, but the workmanship isn't as nice. Good buy for the $$$ though.

· Registered
3,764 Posts
A good friend had a browning bl22 and it was nice,I have had a marlin 39a forever,I can't even remember when I got it,I was young.Small game have fallen to it as well as a ton of coyote,I was paid 2.00 per yote and a new box of 22lr.I would have to go with the Marlin,it has never failed me.Drop-Shot

· Registered
1,128 Posts
:lol: I favor the 39A the old model with out the cross bolt. I have had Winchester's years ago. Never had a Browning or the newer lever guns. One thing to keep in mind, resale value. I would say the Browning, Marlin, or Win. will probably hold a higher resale value down the road than the others. Just a guess, but something to think about :roll: I also favor the longer heavier barrel of the Marlin rifle, but again that is a personal thing. Light guns are fun and easy to carry, but what is the point of a light rifle only to miss the best shot of the day :?: :?

· Registered
13 Posts
I have a Henry Golden Boy in 22, and love it. Beautiful gun, and very accurate. I have the octagon barrel version, and if I did it again, would buy the blue version, which has groves for a scope. Henry sells a device to mount to the Golden Boy, but I haven't bought one so far. It has a better trigger than marlin, or winchester, and the action feels super smooth. I will recommend the Henry in a second. Not the Remington 750 I just bought, but the Henry is super nice, and not too expensive, at least in blue. I am thinking I need one in blue that's 22 mag. Don't tell my wife, I'm still fading the heat from last week's Remington 750 and Bushnell 3200 scope. LOL

· Registered
1,128 Posts
:D billt, I don't see a muzzle brake on this rifle, what's up :?: Just kidding :lol: :roll: those Marlins are beautiful weapons. :wink: At various times of my life they were almost constant companions. As I said I have a Mountie and an older 39A, Love'em both.l :lol: Haven't shot the Mountie much, but may take it for grouse later this week. What is the main game you use the 39A for in Az, :?: Lots of cottontails there at times I am sure.Any tree squirrel hunting :?: We may head to Az. after Thanksgiving or maybe Christmas. Lovely down there at that time.

· Registered
257 Posts
It's my wifes favorite plinker. Whenever we go out to the desert for a shooting session the Marlin 39A tags along. It's like driving a "stick shift" instead of an "automatic" because it gives you somethng to do between shots. That action is really butter smooth, and well worth the money. I hope it never goes out of production. Bill T.

G

·
I have a 1930's (not sure what year exactly) marlin 39A and it is amazing. I also have a 10/22, which was my favorite until I inherited this gun, which has been passed down from my grandmother to me when she died 3 years ago. It is a beautiful gun that I have not punched paper with, but from shooting milk cartons, it seems very accurate. It is very smooth and very reliable, and it also has a very good feel to it. It is a very solid rifle. What is this cross bolt ya'll speak of though?

· Registered
1,128 Posts
:Dplague27, On the new 39A's there is a cross bolt safety. I had one and disliked the feature so much I sold the gun in less than one week. Looked til I found and older model. :roll: Look at a new 39 and you will see the bolt on the receiver. UGLY :!: :evil: :twisted:

· Registered
170 Posts
I dislike the cross bolt safety a lot. I do not own a Marlin lever .22, but I have handled several. Thankfully, their lever action rimfires are finished far better than their budget priced bolt actions and semi-autos. They have polished and deeply blued steel and real walnut with cut checkering. I would rather have no checkering at all than that cheap looking pressed in crap.

· Registered
3,764 Posts
I love my old Marlin 39a,I don't know how many animals I have killed with that gun and had fun doing it.Lately it's been very very unaccurare,I have always cleaned but last week I swabbed the barrel with a scentless solvent and forgot it,yester day I reswabbed it so it stayed wet,I ran a bronze bristle brush through and I got so much crap out of the barrel,I resoaked the bore and will swabb it again tonight,tomarrow I will brush it again,it might turn out to be just as accurate as the day I got it.Marlin 39 is one of the best out there.Just my opinion.Drop-Shot

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.