favorite bullets.... let's hear 'em

Discussion in 'Handloads' started by wired, Jul 13, 2005.

1. wired

wired Guest

I'm going to be starting to reload for my .308 pretty soon (i.e. as soon as I get my gear), and I've been doing a lot of research on premium bullets. My research as turned up (drum roll, please) pick one suitable for what you're shooting at, and it'll work just fine. Gotta love modern technology.

Since it then becomes more or less a personal preference kinda thing, let's hear what your favorite bullets are for the game you hunt, just for the fun of it.

I guess I'll start - I've been having good luck so far with the Remy Core-Lokt PSP, so I'll probably stick with it. I'm interested in trying out the Barnes X-bullet, though. I mostly shoot it at coyotes, feral pigs, and other undesireables, though I wouldn't shy away from black bear and deer (and possibly larger).

2. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Seirra Gamekings have done well for me over the years. I've been playing with the 150gr Hornady SST recently. Pretty good accuracy so far. The 110gr hollow points will make a puddle out of a groundhog!

HWD

3. gwp4ever

gwp4ever Guest

I've had good luck with both Nosler Partition and Accubond.

4. Pat T

Pat T Moderator

Been using Nosler Ballistic Tips in .30-06 for whitetails for almost 20 years now-great bullet! I know a lot of guys don't like them, but I haven't had anyone else tag a deer I shot in the vitals since I switched.

5. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Speer Grand Slams, Great Bullet. Hornady SST also a great bullet

6. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

My favorite bullet kind of depends on the game. For smaller varmints (up to about 15 pounds) I like a Sierra hollow point or Nosler Ballistic Tip; big ones get a soft point of some sort; deer and antelope get Core-Lokts, Game Kings, Interlocks, Power Points, or some other standard bullet; black bear also get a standard bullet in the heavier calibers or a Partition or X-Bullet as do elk or moose; big bears will get a 350 gr Barnes Original in the 375 H&H if needed. If I were to actually hunt a grizzly, a 270gr or 300 gr Partition, Grand Slam, X-Bullet, or Fail Safe in the 375 would get the nod.

7. wired

wired Guest

You've got some field time with X-bullets? They work pretty good for ya? I'm wanting to try some out as soon as I start reloading.

8. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I've shot the X-Bullets out of a 300 Win mag, a 30/06, and a 6mm Rem. I've shot a couple handfuls of deer, a black bear, and an elk with them. I've seen a like number of deer, a couple of bears, and a half dozen elk taken with them. They leave a small hole going in and a much smaller than expected hole coming out. In between is a whole lotta cole slaw. These things really seem to tear up the insides of an animal. They are about the only bullet I would consider using on the big bucks (~300# live weight) we regularly run into. They are even better than Nosler Partitions in my estimation. The problem is some guns don't seem to like them much. I've read the X-Bullet is often sensitive to copper fouling from different alloys used by other makers. Because of this I take great pains to clean the bore out before shooting them. I don't know if this is still true or never was as the price of the bullets (well... maybe laziness too) keeps me from experimenting. They are a good bullet but unnecessary for deer sized animals with medium or larger cartridges in my opinion. I think these bullets (or any other premium bullet for that matter) begin to shine when used on game that is a bit on the large/heavy side of a cartridge's working parameters.

9. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

I can't agree with using Barnes X-Bullets for anything you wish to kill. I've seen them do very strange things, and not good things. :? I watched a Bearded wildebeest shot a bit high in the shoulder and dropped my bottom jaw in utter shock as the bullet exited out the top of the shoulder...almost a 90 degree turn upwards. A Noslet partition, Swift A-Frame or Speer Grand slam would have busted the upper shoulder and nailed the wildebeest to the ground.

I have heard of similar experiences with the all copper Barnes bullets, as well as fouling problems. Fouling isn't as much of a problem here in N. America, where we take only 1 or 2 animals on a hunt, but in Africa or Australia as many as 20 or 30 aminals are shot commonly, and fouling can be a major problem. The copper alloy for an all copper bullet has to be somewhat soft, leading to fouling problems. The other problem I have with these all copper bullets is that they can be poison on double rifles. :evil:

The Speer Grand Slam is an excellent choice for any N. American game, IMHO. It expands sufficiently, while retaining its weight well. It also is reasonably priced for a premium bullet and is highly accurate in all my rifles. The lack of caliber and weight choices are my BIG objection to the GS, however.

A good hunting bullet expands sufficiently at a variety of velocities, retains its weight well, and TRAVELS ON LINE THROUGH THE ANIMAL!!! A sharp angle raking shot cannot be done with success with a bullet that doesn't go through on line. Raking shots are done as follow up to first hits and are at times absolutely necessary. :idea:

10. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I too have heard the horror stories of the X-Bullet but not of those made in the last several years. The Nosler Partition also had a poor reputation when they first came out, until the gremlins were exorcised. As for copper fouling, I'm guessing that must be affecting accuracy as I don't see how it would affect terminal performance. All copper is fairly soft, the X-Bullets made today no more or less so than other alloys. Being homogenous rather than having a lead core may make the bullet a little less compressable but I'd wager not any more so than a copper jacketed steel core bullet. Early models of the X-Bullet did have some trouble keeping a line but that claims to have been corrected with a deeper hollow point to provide for greater and quicker opening and a different alloy. I haven't shot 20 animals on a hunt but I have shot 2-3 boxes of X-bullets at one sitting a few times and the accuracy didn't change any more than with standard bullets PROVIDING the barrel was well cleaned of copper residue before hand. As I stated on the earlier post the X-Bullets seem to be sensitive to fouling from other alloys and great pains must be taken to remove it. This also seems to be a common complaint with Moly coated bullets too but I digress. On the same hand, it would not appear to be wise to mix bullet brands when using X-Bullets since adequately removing the copper from other bullets would not likely be practical in the field. I am not a huge user of the X-Bullet due to their price and cleaning idiosynchracies but have not found those of rather recent manufacture to be as bad as others proclaim. Then again, if at one time I had similar experiences as them I would probably not feel the same as I do now.

11. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Dog,

You make an excellent point regarding mixing bullet brands if using X-Bullets. On close examination of X-Bullets, I just much prefer a lead core bullet bonded to a well designed jacket. They are denser and are less wind sensitive...penetrate deeper...behave more predictably. As I tend to shoot old iron a bit, I need to be a bit more kind on barrels. X-Bullets are fine for more modern guns, but they seem to beat up :( on my oldtimers. Their new banded design is an answer to much of my earlier objections to them, however.

With all the media madness regarding lead and shooting causing pollution, I can see the day when we will all be shooting non-lead bullets. We will be darned glad that Barnes has been around, developing their bullets ahead of the crowd! :p

Only lead or lead core bullets go through my old combo guns or double rifles. I am always a bit scared when using Woodleigh solids, what I consider the very best solids, as they have a copper coated thick steel jacket over a small lead core. They have been going down old DR tubes for many years, however, and seen to be just fine.

I guess that being an old reactionary makes me feel better when "spitting hot lead"...can't warm up to "spitting hot copper"; it just sounds strange... :? :wink: :wink:

12. UltraMag

UltraMag Guest

Hornady SST, great B.C.

13. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

luv2safari,
    you gotta move up to the new century in your bullet material. Other materials have it all over lead, especially steel encased tungsten and depleted uranium!

14. BlackIce

BlackIce Guest

This is want I have been working on... a Ballistic Database...
    Here is a list using Kinetic Pulse (Killing Power) of Factory ammo.... Sorted by KP, Caliber & GameSize....

Rifle Kinetic Pulse @ 200yds

This doesn't yet take in account retained weight or expansion. At this time is all factory data and no field data yet.

Kinetic Pulse Formulas

15. danurve

danurve Guest

Sierra Gamekings
    Sierra Blitzkings