Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jason,I have a Hawkins style 50 cal but at 50 yards Im getting a 4 inch group with TC Maxi balls and Bufflo Bullets on a good day,I can get 50% less with patched balls but have lost a ton of animals to patched balls.The newer muzzle loaders can get rifle like accuracy and the distance is good out to 200 yards or more.I have to admit though, the Hawkins style muzzle loader is the most authentic hunters rifle.Drop-Shot

· Banned
2 Posts
Re: re: Favorite muzzle loader

Drop-Shot said:
Thanks Jason,I have a Hawkins style 50 cal but at 50 yards Im getting a 4 inch group with TC Maxi balls and Bufflo Bullets on a good day,I can get 50% less with patched balls but have lost a ton of animals to patched balls.The newer muzzle loaders can get rifle like accuracy and the distance is good out to 200 yards or more.I have to admit though, the Hawkins style muzzle loader is the most authentic hunters rifle.Drop-Shot
hey im not saying anything bad about the new style inline muzzle loaders because i have read about just how accurate they can be and have seen them shoot out to 200 yards on hunting shows but in my oppinion i think a muzzle loader ought to look like a muzzle loader is suppose to look which is a old fashioned sidelock

i think them inline muzzle loaders look too much like a traditional centerfire rifle

· Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good evening L2S,I wonder if all states allow the savage?It is a muzzle loader,but shoots smokeless powder.Here in Montana we can't shoot sabots I'm told so laws vary from state to state.Anybody heard anything about that?Drop-Shot

· Registered
1,427 Posts
My favorite BP rifles are the flintlocks a relative makes. Unfortunately, I can't afford one even with the family discount. Other than that, I really like my T/C Renegade. It resembles a traditional caplock and I can imagine a tie to the old mountain men with it. We are required to use open sights during the muzzleloader season up here so I see no great advantage to the inlines. They are said to be easier to ignite but I haven't lost an animal to a misfire yet.

· Registered
105 Posts
Today I went to my gun dealer and shouldered a few BP rifles. I am getting pretty attached to the Thompson Center Omega.
I understand that it is very similar to the Encore except you will not be able to swap barrels with the Omega.
I was looking at the Traditions and the Savage 10ML-II as well as the CVA and was told a few bad things as well as good things about them but I think I am going to buy the Thompson Omega for next BP deer season. I want to get it in the next month or so this way I will be able to practice with it and get to know the rifle before going in the stand with it.
The season is only a week long and I think I will do well with this purchase.

· Registered
162 Posts
I have a CVA Kodiak 209 Magnum in 50cal. Only had it a short while, but I like it a lot. Definitely not your "traditional" muzzleloader - it's an in-line 209 primer ignition w/ a synthetic stock and a 2x7 scope... but it's an easy to load/maintain muzzle loader. It has a pivoting action that lets you just pop in a primer and laso lets you have easy, direct access to the breech plug to clean or knock out loads. It seems rather accurate so far- about 3 inch groups at 100 yards with my first bullet/powder combo- 245 gr Powerbelt Accutips in front of 100gr of Triple 7. It can handle 150 gr. magnum charges though.
The straight through action is a blessing. This may sound stupid (but I'm sure I'm not the first) but I double loaded the gun once :oops: , caught my error before shooting, and was able to quickly take out the breech plug, and just push out the whole load. If it was a closed breech like a traditional smokepole, I would have had to use a bullet puller and it would have taken a whole lot more time and effort.
I got the gun/scope combo from Cabelas for $280- not a bad deal - nice gun, nice scope.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.