Federal Brass

Discussion in 'Handloads' started by huntswithdogs, Nov 23, 2005.

1. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Would any of ya'll know where I may be able to buy Fed brass? I'm looking for some in 300WinMag. I know somebodies gonna say "just buy factory stuff ,shoot it and tuh-dah, reloadable brass". I don't want to go to that expense but I may have to. Back a number of years,you could still buy 100 unfired for the price of 1 box of loaded. I think Fed went out of the brass selling bidness back in the late 80's or early 90's but I'm hoping to find something.

Thanks

HWD

2. wwb

wwb Super Member

3. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

I've been buying brass on ebay.
    You just never know what might be for sale over there! :wink:

4. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Update on Fed Brass.... I talked to a nice young lady on Wed. Evening that is in their customer service dept. She told me that while it's not set in stone just yet, Federal should be getting back into the component bidness,this spring. I hope its up to the standards that I remember.

HWD

5. Burnt Powder

Burnt Powder Guest

Federal brass would be my last resort choice. Most anything else would be a better choice in my experience! If they do get back in the brass business, I hope it is far better than it used to be. IF you really want good brass, get Lapua or Norma! Domestic production I'd opt for Winchester/Olin.

BP

6. wired

wired Guest

If they don't have it on Midway, you don't need it :wink: .

One question, though: if it is unfired brass, do I still need to full-length resize it? Do I even need to neck size it?

7. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I full length resize all my brass the first time I use it to ensure easy feeding. It sucks to have too large o case and not be able to chaber it in the rifle, or so I've been told. Once I fire it in my gun I'll skip FL resizing if reloading brass for the same gun it was fired out of.

8. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Funny thing, I hate Winchestor Factory Ammo, but I love thier components.