Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:oops: This has GOT to have been discussed, but I get zilch using "search". With REDUCED LOADS, is it necessary to use a filler material to keep the powder back near the primer? (This is for a .375 H&H.) Of our two loading manuals, one does not mention fillers, and the other says nobody uses them any more.
Have never tried this before, so am clueless to the max.
thanks,
///olde 8) pharte///

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you are loading with Accurate 5744, it probably is not necessary, if you believe their info.

In 45-70 I load 27gr 5744. It fills about half the case. I may not need it, but I add a small piece of dacron and tap it down with the erasure end of a pencil. Just enough to hold the powder against the flash hole.

I bought a small pillow sized bag in the sewing and material department at Wally World for about a buck, ten years ago. Still have most of it. In fact, it is mostly in my way, but I keep using it. It is mostly a peace of mind thing.

In a bottle neck case, the dacron will expand after going through the neck. Very little is required.

45-70 is the only one I use it on now. Have used for others in the past but I didn't keep good records then.

I really should try afew on paper, with and without.

Good Luck

·
Registered
376 Posts
i use plain old cottonballs. i reload .357 and .45-70 reduced loads. i just cram in a little piece of the cottonball, ram in down firmly, and then add bullet to top. my .45-70 loads kick like a .410 shotgun, and the .357's kick like a .22. these are just "plinker" rounds. my hunting load for the .45-70 is a smoker. 300 grain horandy jhp running at just under 2000fps.
i kicks like a booger. but it does the job on whitetail's.

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
GREAT TOPIC!

Filler material properly used may save your eyes and fingers if using reduced loads and Nitro powder loads for black powder cartridges. Always follow the loading books' data.

I use a filler when shooting low velocity cast bullet loads in my combination guns and in my trapdoor Springfield Cadet Mdl 45-70.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.