Finally got a .17 HMR

Discussion in 'Small Bore' started by uglydog, Jun 16, 2005.

1. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I finally bought a .17 caliber rimfire. With the increased number of homes going up in the area, I felt I needed a round that was less likely to ricochette than a 22 LR or magnum. I picked up a laminated stock, stainless steel Marlin 917 with an aftermarket Rifle Basix trigger in the .17 HMR from a guy who was not happy with its performance on animals. I have been so busy that I haven't been able to fire it yet despite having my own range out the back door!! I currently have a 3x9 Burris Signature scope on it but that will probably change sometime in the future. My main use for it will be on small pests like ground squirrels and red squirrels and I think it will work well for that.

2. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Uglydog,

If yours will shoot like my sister's rifle,then you'll love it! Hers has the heavy blued barrel and wears a 6x18 bushnell.

Good luck....NOW GIT OUT THE DOOR WITH THAT THANG!!!!!!!!!!

HWD

3. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

It looks like it may be a couple more days before I can shoot the gun. I was just notified that someone ran over the well head for the house last night while attempting to rustle some cows. I was gone at the time (dang it, I could have reported how a 62 gr penetrator bullet, I think it is the M855, stacks up against a truck block!) and I didn't see anything amiss this morning as it was still dark when I left for work. I hope the repair is rather straight forward as I've never done one of these before. I guess I'll get a feel tonight when I get home.

4. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:) 1. You are too dang tied up. Shooting ought to come pretty close to the top of your priority list.
    2. Shot my .17 yesterday at 100 yards for the first time. (Home range is pretty much a 50 yard deal.)
    With a following breeze, all was great. Wind started shifting and groups went into the tank. Hope yours is better in the wind than mine!
    ///olde 8) pharte///

5. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

1gsplover,
    Shooting is about my top priority but I had to fix some damage that might have interrupted the flow of water to the house. The wife may be able to cope with a short term loss of water for the washing machine or dish washer but I place a fairly high priority on being able to flush the toilet!! I also build up my comp time this time of year so I can take off much of the fall to go hunting. With all the graduations and weddings that happen during the summer, I can build up nearly a month of time off.
    The repairs did not take as long I feared and I got a chance to shoot it yesterday afternoon. With a slight, variable cross wind sighting in was pretty difficult as the bullet is very sensitive to the wind. At 50 yards the "pattern" I was getting strung out nearly 2" across. Later, after the wind died down, I got nearly one hole groups and moved out to 100 yards. Groups here were under an inch but I ran out of light and the mosquitoes came out to end this session. This is a very accurate gun, much more so than what I've been capable of so far. I hope to get to the gun club range, it is built with 8'-10' high berms along the sides to lessen wind effects. If I do my part, I suspect the gun is capable of nearly 1" groups at 200 yards.

6. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:lol: Yes, sir! Flushing the john is certainly right up there when time comes to set priorities. Glad your 100 yard performance was so good. I'll try different bullets. OOPS!!! Yeah, that is different "CARTRIDGES".
    ///olde 8) pharte///

7. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

The 17 HMR is very effective on ditch lions out to 100 yards and it didn't do a bad job on a woodchuck at about 60. Wind is still a problem but I think it can be overcome. I think this round is a keeper providing the wind isn't too bad.

8. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:?: "Ditch lions" :?:

9. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

Ditch lion, ditch tiger, etc. are local names for feral cats. Around here a cat is feral if you don't recognize it as a neighbor's or if you don't like the neighbor. It took a few years but I finally got most of the local farmers to keep tabs on their cats so there are drastically fewer cats out there than there used to be. The typical farm has a half dozen of them compared to the old "as many as will stick around". The one farm had over 100 cats removed before they wised up and now are real spooky and avoid most traps.

10. wired

wired Guest

I've been to some places locally that kept pretty much every cat that showed up on the doorstep. Never seen so many cats in my life. I've already decided that when I move out into the country, I will shoot any cat that steps onto my property. Period. I might even drag out some of my heavier hardware to do it, just for the targer practice.

11. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I've shot cats with about everything from a .177 pellet up to a .50 BMG and they do make great practice targets as cats seldom remain in the open once they realize they are being targeted. Currently my main cat gun is a Ruger 10/22 with a red dot and a SureFire light taped to the barrel. As mentioned, a cat is a very spooky critter in the best of times and are even more so if they realize they are being hunted. At night they lose much of their wariness and it is easier to take them cleanly. I used to use a light and a handgun but the cats became wary enough that a switch to a rifle was needed. With my current set up I can spot and shoot a cat out to about 30 yards.

12. wired

wired Guest

Re: re: Finally got a .17 HMR

:shock: I'll bet those .50BMGs make a nice splatter. If my little place out in the country is relatively flat, a Sharps .45-70 might make a nice cat remover.

I'm sure once the cats get wise to what's going on, it's almost like hunting a small bobcat. The instincts have gotta kick in sometime.

13. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

The .50 BMG does make an impression to say the least. My dad owns a single shot in this caliber which I "borrow" (read steal) when I can. It is rather loud and expensive to shoot but it can't be beat for those shots that require one to reach out there and touch something.

14. wired

wired Guest

I think I might have to add a Ruger #1 in .416 Rigby to my list of "must haves". It'll be the one hanging in my kitchen that I grab to shoot cats.

15. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I finally took a fox with the 17HMR, it was a 3/4 grown kit but still a fox none the less. The V-Max bullet hit him broadside just behind the front leg and made mincemeat of the near lung. The far lung appeared damaged from hydrostatic shock as the bullet seemed to disintegrate and not penetrate very far. The fox did the death spin and then lined out to make a run for it but collapsed before a second shot could be taken. This bullet seems much more frangible than the hollow points I was using before which is what I was looking for to use on ground squirrels and similar animals. If this is typical for this bullet, I would be hesitant to use it on anything much bigger than a fox and maybe even not then. This kit was only 3/4 grown and very emaciated and the bullet itself did not penetrate far enough to do much significant damage to the far lung. A healthy, full grown fox with a full winter coat may have enough bulk and "armor" to have defeated the hydrostatic forces and might have gotten a lot further away in similar circumstances. This was about a 50 yard shot which I would think the bullet would have slowed down enough that the bullet would not tear itself apart. This is a neat round and I am having fun shooting it.