Shooting World Forums banner

First lever action: 30-30 or 35 Remington? Scope or no?

6K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Stoeger111 
#1 ·
Going to dive into my first lever gun. I'd like it for wild pig hunting. I think I'm going to pass right now on larger calibers like 444 or 45-70 because recoil may be too much to practice for not and a bit "overkill" for pig. Which do you think would be a better choice between the 30-30 or 35 Remington? I think the 30-30 would probably be cheaper to practice with and more available ammo (although 35 Rem isn't scarce)!

Also, do many of you scope your lever guns? Seems like it's just one of the things that don't "feel" right to do on one of these, but I'm sure it helps. If so, do you mount toward the rear or more foward on the barrel (like the Ashley system I've seen)?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Marlin 30-30 with a 1.5X5 power scope in weaver pivot mounts, and shoot 170 cal ammo.

I love the 35 Rem, and it is a bit better stopper, IMO, but the 30-30 has a distinct advantage when seeking ammo and price wise when you want to stock up.

I am also of the opinion that the Marlin is a more accurate rifle than the Win 94.

I'd rather carry the 94, but shoot the Marlin 336.

#3 ·
I agrre with l2s on gun choice and his reasons. I don't think I have a long gun meant to fire a single projectile that does not have an optical sight on it (except my antique and blackpowder guns).
I have one each of the Marlin and Winchester models and prefer the Marlin. This is probably due somewhat to starting out with a 39 but the easy ability of scoping it was a major factor too. I have used both the standard scope mounting and the forward "scout" type and generally use the standard mounting. I do like the scout set up for fast shooting but it was not designed for the precision work needed for hunting. It is possible to shoot this accurately but does take more work. Cost to set the gun up for this is also a factor, $50 for the mounts and another $150+ for a long eye relief or pistol scope nearly equals the cost of the gun. Go with the Marlin with a low power scope in 30/30 and you can't go wrong.

#4 ·
:) First, I agree totally with the above responses. Regarding your thinking the scope on a lever gun doesn't look right... I agree completely with that. BUT, if you are on the sundown side of forty, chances are you MUST scope all your rifles. Ageing ain't pretty and it sure ain't fun!
///olde 8) pharte///

#6 ·
So does anyone do the scout scope set up?

Or do you prefer the standard receiver mount over the forward mount? I figure the lever gun is more of a closer brush gun and the forward scope may be quicker (especially with a red dot) to find the game.

#7 ·
On my Marlin 336 35 rem I have a 4x scope,I have made 120 yard shots and instant kills.That was on a pipeline that I had not intended on hunting but had to because of weather.30 yard markers to gas gathering station gave me instant yardage markers.A close friend used my rifle to take a deer at 160-170 yards,35 rem went all the way through the deer.30/30 ain't bad either.Drop-Shot

#8 ·
Go with the 30-30. The 35 Remington, while available, isn't nearly as common in stores in as widely available loadings. But an even newer, and better, reason for the old 30WCF is Hornady's new Lever Evolution ammo. This is a 30-30 round with a modern, pointed, ballistic tipped bullet that dramatically increases the 30-30's effective range and delivered energy, and flattens it's trajectory. Makes a 30-30 a true 275 yard deer rifle, where before it was a 200 yard one at best.
I don't own either of the 2 rifles you mentioned, but I'm looking to buy one of them soon. The Win.94 carries better, is lighter, and points faster... but the Marlin 336 seems more solidly built, has better ejection, and easier scope mounting. I've also heard that Marlins are usually pretty accurate for a lever gun.
Tough choice, especially now that Winchester is stopping production of the Mod 94.

#10 ·
Okieshooter I have the same problem about seeing but used an aperature sight on my brother in laws 348 at 80 yards and couldn't miss.I plan on the same Williams sight for my 1895 Marlin cowboy 45/70.Mabe this summer,depends on finances.Drop-Shot

#12 ·
Hoser, I agree with Uglydog and L2S. The scoped Marlin is the way to go. We have several 94's and a Marlin 336. For shooting game, the scoped Marlin gets the nod every time. Last fall I did shoot an antelope doe with the '94 .30/30. Had a dead rest, standing animal, 75 yards, but the peep sight system covered alot of animal at even 75 yards. We owe it to the creatures we hunt, gophers to grizzlies, to kill quickly and cleanly. With a scope that job is 100 times easier and more certain. May use the 94's again, but not if the scoped Marlin is handy. :wink: :wink: :

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.