First Post here, Looking at Mossberg ATR 100 30-06 or 270?

Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by thumper723, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Stay the heck away from the Mossberg

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Get it in .30-06

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Get it in .270

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. thumper723

thumper723 Guest

Hello,

I am a regular poster over on shotgunworld.com, came over here for a rifle question.

Looking at the Mossberg ATR 100. On a budget, would like to get a decent rifle and scope combo for large game (deer, possible Elk/Moose)

Heres my question. Every other article I read on the .270 vs .30-06 seems to contradict the last. Some say 270 is better trajectory, others the -06.

The Mossberg rifle is available in both, for the same money. Which would you take and why?

Recoil is not a huge deal, as a 12 gauge slug gun packs a heck of a wallop, and is my current deer rig.

2. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

re: First Post here, Looking at Mossberg ATR 100 30-06 or 27

The 30-06 is the best choice for a one rifle hunter. bullet selection for this caliber cannot be beat.

3. gator

gator Guest

Welcome--- the 30-06 is hard to beat especially if larger game such as elk are on the menu. If your keeping it to anything smaller than elk there isn't an ounce of difference, after all the 270 is the 30-06 minus .031" bullet diameter.
    As far as the Mossberg go I don't have an opinion since they are fairly new. However I have heard good reports about the Stevens 200 (Savage) and the price should be about the same. You may want to compare the two before buying. Good luck.

4. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

If you're looking for a 1 caliber/1 battery to cover just about all the bases, 30-06 is the caliber to start with. With the heavier bullets available (165 grains and up), the venerable 06 can handle bigger critters while 150 grains and below will handle deer and lesser critters. If you are a deer hunter only, either caliber is fine. One other reason I give the 06 a nod is that if you do not handload, there is a good selection of FMJ factory loaded ammo available at slightly lower prices than hunting rounds which allows more shooting/practice time at the range.

I suspect that at some point you will likely do what most of us have done and that is to own rifles in both calibers

5. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I'm with Mountainview,every mom and pop store carrys 30/06,I plan on working the action of the mossberg when wally world gets another in just to check them out.Drop-Shot

6. Papadoodles

Papadoodles Super Member

Thumper, for what you are looking for - the .30/06 is the only way to go!!

Nothing against the .270; it is a great cartridge but you are looking to get into animals that are just too big for it.

7. TXVAshooter

TXVAshooter Guest

ought 6 hard to beat for one stable gun. can't comment on the mossber part, never had one in a mossy.

8. shurshot jr

shurshot jr Guest

I AM HERE TO SAY THE THE MOSSBERG 270 IS A FLAT SHOOTER I AM HOLDING A "1"IN GRUPE AT 200 YARDS WITH A 150 SPIZER TIP BOWTEL :!:

9. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

shureshot I like hearing that,a 1 inch group rifle is just right.thanks for the post and I'm gonna take a close look at them when walley world gets another in.Drop-Shot

10. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Read the American Rifleman magazine. It will tell you all about this rifle.This months issue

11. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Welcome, and come back often!! :D

There is no question as to which caliber is the better all around. The 30-06 with a 150gr bullet shoots as flat as a 270 with the 150, and you have a real big game caliber in the .308 tube. The 270 is fine for deer on down, but it is only marginal for anything bigger. I say this from years of guiding and hunting.

That said, I DO like the 270 and shot several antelope with my 03-A3 custom 270. When I went for my once in a lifetime Desert Bighorn Sheep here in Nevada I used a Winchester Mdl 70 with a 3 digit serial#...in 30-06!!! 8) Now, I had the choice of a dozen great calibers in my battery for this sheep, but I picked the '06 and rifle because the combination was Classic and in this particular gun, a tack driver. I had other equally accurate and flatter shooting guns, but the 30-06 was the one I knew best and trusted most.

I had a friend who worked for the parks department in Rhodesia, now Zimbabwe, who culled elephant with a Mdl 70 in 30-06. He would have to shoot 50 to 200 elephant over a couple of days and needed something accurate, deadly, and with moderate recoil. He was the best shot I ever saw, too...

Hunt anywhere in the world, and you will be well received and respected if you show up with the all time classic 30-06. :D

12. thumper723

thumper723 Guest

I shouldered one last week at the range. A guy had bought one in -06, and it was shooting 1.5 groups at 200 yards once he got it sighted in. He said he did the shoot-clean-shoot-clean for 5 rounds, shot 5 and cleaned, and shot ten and cleaned, while he was getting it "rough" sighted (not sure on the technical terms here)

Gave it a good cleaning, shot sub 1" group at 100yd, and then took it to the 200 yd range (longest we have).

The only issue I think I would have is length of pull. Short of getting a custom stock (which I don't think many are out yet) is there a way to get the length of pull significantly longer?

I am 6'3" with long arms, and I probably need 14.5" or greater, but this is a problem with ALL factory guns for me.

Definitley accurate enough for my needs!

13. Maser

Maser Super Member

.30-06 is a military cartridge so therefore u can buy em alot cheaper than .270 and its more widely available in smaller stores cuz in mmy small town the only rifle cartidges that are sold are .30-30 .308 and .30-06

14. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Thumper723 you can shim the stock up front where it joins the reciever with shims up to 1/2 inch and at the recoil pad,the shims brownells sells are 1/4,1/2,3/4 and 1 inch.you can use any of these or a combination to increase length of pull,I had to use longer screws to screw shims and the recoil pad back on the stock,I once shimed a stock a total of 2 1/4 inch to gain right length of pull for a friend.Drop-Shot

15. thumper723

thumper723 Guest

Does that work with a 1-peice stock? I am used to shotguns, where the buttstock is usually a seperate peice.

Thanks for the advice.

16. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

On a one piece stock you can add to the stock in front of the recoil pad,easy job but you do have to add longer screws and sand down the shimpack to match your stock and recoil pad,that way it looks factory.We added some white and blue spacers (packs of colored material 3/32 just to add color) material we glued to the shimpack and it looked great.After you get the desired LOP then you can glue all together so nothing will ever slip out of place and if you ever have to remove the recoil pad the shimpack will come out as 1 piece.If sanding sounds like its too difficult to get right you can get a sanding jig for 40.00 and you can use it to install any pad on any gun,great tool from Brownells.Drop-Shot