flintlocks

Discussion in 'Black Powder' started by Maser, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Maser

Maser Super Member

ok ever since i got rid of my cap n ball revolver iv been wanting to get back into the black powder world by gettin a muzzle loading rifle and iv been mostly lookin at inlines which look pretty cool but then i always happen to glance over at the unfinished hawken kits and i see the flintlock versions and i think it would be so cool to own one cuz with that u never have to worry bout running outta caps :wink: but anyways iv decided if i do get one im getting the unfinished kit in .54 caliber flintlock so if anybody has any experience with flintlocks then please post ur oppinions here

2. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

A couple of relatives are involved in the buckskinner/rondevous events and they use flintlocks exclusively. I have fooled around with theirs a bit as well as ones while I was a 4-H instructor. Flintlocks are a bit more involved in that one needs to keep flints on hand instead of caps. The flints also need to be kept sharp and the frizzen clean for the most reliable results. You also need two different powder grades, usually FFG for the main charge and FFFFG for the priming charge. There is a reason caplocks replaced flintlocks; better reliability, fewer accoutrements, and no explosion happening just in front of your face. Flintlocks are fun to use for nostalgic reasons but I prefer the caplocks.

3. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

If ya shoot as a lefty, you'll not like the results when it goes off!

If you're gonna buy a kitgun,go ahead and get one of that uses caps first. You may want to consider a 50 cal instead of the 54.You have a lot better choices of components.

HWD

4. Maser

Maser Super Member

Re: re: flintlocks

well thats no problem for me cuz i will grind up the powder i use as the main charge into fine priming powder

5. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

Maser are you the only registered user on youngshooters

6. Maser

Maser Super Member

lol yea so far but hey give it time cuz its still new :roll: rome wasnt built in a day u know :wink: im not tryin to steer kids n teens away from this forum i just made it so that they could have a place where they can be around ppl their own age and talk bout kids n teen things cuz some members of this site n at shotgunworld seem to be a lil too serious and that tends to turn younger ppl away who just wanna have fun online :(