Floating the barrel

Discussion in 'Bolt Action' started by The_Cook, Sep 12, 2005.

1. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

From what I have been able to piece together about floating a barrel it's just a matter of getting the barrel off of the stock right?

If that is the case, couldn't I just goto homedepot and buy some rubber gromits thick enough and just stick em between the screws that keep the barrel on the stock? Instead of the long and involved process I've read about that uses epoxy and other junk.
    :?:

2. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Well, if you value your sight, thumbs, or mug...you will have the action solidly bedded into the stock. :twisted: :idea:

As for floating barrels, the only barrels I've seen float where whiskey barrels. All my rifle barrels sank, and I had to dive to recover them. :? :? :(

There are two basic ways to inlet for barrels...tight and uniform with no unwanted pressure points, or floating with no part of the barrel channel touching. There are variations, but that's the basics.

3. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

I appologize but your answere was a bit technical, could you dumb it down a bit? About floating the barrel what I could make out was that no you can't use washers..... It wouldn't be good for me or the gun?

I'm confused. :cry:

4. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Re: re: Floating the barrel

I'm confused. :cry:[/quote]

No argument from here... :wink: :wink: The barrel threds into an action; the action is bedded into the stock and is secured to the stock.

5. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Cook,
    Got a Library handy? They geneerally have some very detailed books on doing a job such as this. If you're not sure what you're talking about,I'd suggest taking it to a gunsmith. Buying stocks ain't cheap!

DO NOT TRY THE DEAL WITH THE ORINGS!!!!!!!

HWD

6. wired

wired Guest

If you've watched the movie "Sin City" and saw what happened to Frankie Boy, you'll know what might happen if you try the washer/o-ring thing. In your case, it would be a rifle action sticking out of your forehead instead of the 1911 slide. The action needs to be anchored solidly in the stock. I would highly recommend just letting a gunsmith do it. If you want to do it yourself, hit up the American Gunsmithing Institute and see what they have to offer. If you feel like it is still beyond your abilities, take it to a gunsmith.

7. gwp4ever

gwp4ever Guest

A bit? A lot is more like it.

8. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

gwp you need go zen out at the range or something man, maybe masterbate alittle. Might make some of that missplaced bitterness disapear.

But as for the other posts, thanks much, I'll start looking for a good gun smith in the LA area. Any suggestions?

9. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Cook...

Tone it down a bit. This all in good fun and we try to keep just this side of vulgar. Accept a bit of razzing...and give back in kind. :wink:

10. APEXDUCK

APEXDUCK Well-Known Member

Ok, so I understand that placing shims of anykind between the action and the stock would be an unwise thing to do to "float" the barrel since the action would not be firmly seated in the stock and thuc could crack the stock (and the shooter) when fired. I also understand than "floating" barrel should help with acuracy and that glass bedding is a good thing for a solid gun to stock fit.

Is there a down side to floating a barrel?

Is there any reason why some guns shoot better with a pressure point on the barrel rather than free floating with no contact?

If once you float a barrel and find less acuracy, is there a way to replace the contact point?

Do particular calibers lend better acuracy for floated barrels and others less?

Or is this some mystical thing with no reason other than sometimes it helps , some time it doesn't?

Thanks

APEXDUCK

11. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

APEXDUCK its the mystical thing,I floated the barrel on my remington 700 and with factory 308 150 gr bullets I could shoot 3/4 inch groups.I bought another used remington 700 30/06,the only difference was the 308 was an ADL and the 30/06 was a BDL,stock differences only.I had less than 2.00 inches with factory loads and 1 1/2 inch groups with 165 gr hand loads,when I floated the BDL 30/06 the groups went to almost 3 inches.After bedding the action you still can pressure bed a forestock with a dab of bedding compound(use plenty of release) 2 inches from the end of the fore arm.I had just the opposite on a weatherby mark 5,with pressure bedding the groups on the 257 weatherby mag were close to 2 inches no matter what I loaded or change the seating depth,I free floated the barrel and shot the next weekend and kept 3/4 inch groups with factory loaded ammo and slightly less with hand loads.Its kinda one of those things that you try and mabe have to go back to the other method.Drop-Shot

12. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:evil: Looks like any way you go, it MAY turn out to be just an old-fashioned crapshoot, huh? May I toss in another question here and not get yelled at for highjacking the thread?
    I have been messing with a .375 for about nine months and I'm still not satisfied with the groups. SOOOOO.... is there a rule that says to perform X,Y, and Z to a big bore before anything else? If so, what are X,Y, and Z?
    thanks,
    ///olde :?: 8) :?: pharte///

13. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Gsp its been awhile and no answer,I have never owned anything bigger than a 338 win mag so I'm not much help.Are you using factory ammo or hand loads?I have been able to get better groups by changing the seating depth.I use a spent but resized case with no primer and no powder,I load a bullet in in case but only a little,I push it in the chamber and push with the bolt,when it seats against the lands and grooves I slowly extract the shell and measure the length and write it down,I prime my cases and drop powder and seat the bullet .040 off lands and grooves.Carefull,you don't want to excede the standards max length.I load 5 and shoot for accuracy,I back off to .050 and load 5 and shoot for accuracy.Some guns I own shoot better .015 off lands and grooves and worse when I load longer.I sure hope you reload as you are at the mercy of the ammo makers if not.What make rifle do you have?Mabe free floating the barrel will help,I also had good results in bedding the action in the stock to keep out torque.Rock solid steel mounts and steel rings and you should be in the zone.I will help where I can,I have bedded alot of actions in stocks and floated and pressure bedded forearms so if I can help just ask.I have a little buddy (puppy from L2S)now that keeps me busy but I try to check our site every day and have alot of time on my hands so ask if you think I could help.Drop-Shot

14. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

Thank you for the tip! Got a three-day weekend coming up... will try that reloading drill.
    shoot safe/shoot often/recruit a new shooter
    o.ph.

15. cheesehunter

cheesehunter Guest