Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I love fried turkey,we would always drop a hen in the hot peanut oil after the turkey was done and one time a rear hindquarter deer roast also.Have a good one 8point.Drop-Shot

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I think it was 5 minutes per pound 3 1/2 lb=17 1/2 mins I think.It came out great.I injected it with a cajun injector,I mixed cyanne pepper,black pepper,white pepper,garlic juice and minced jalapenos mixed with enough olive oil to make it liquid,not too liquid but runny enough to be enjected.It will make your tonge slap your eyeballs.It came out so moist that folks could not believe it was fried,the hot peanut oil sears the outside of the meat so the juices stay in where it belongs.Let it sit for awhile for the juices to mix with the cajun marinade.Caution:people have been known to not go home anymore with great vittles like that.Drop-Shot

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yep dropshot hit it on the button, the hot oil traps moisture in and forces it to the center.

Saftey tips.

defrost turkey before frying

remove excess water before deep frying

DO NOT USE deepfryer in or near your house. hundreds of people across america lose thier homes to fried turkey started fires.

DO NOT over fill the pot, make sure that there is enough room for bubbling.

DO NOT leave unattended.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Re: re: Fried Turkey

The_Cook said:
Yep dropshot hit it on the button, the hot oil traps moisture in and forces it to the center.

Saftey tips.

defrost turkey before frying

remove excess water before deep frying

DO NOT USE deepfryer in or near your house. hundreds of people across america lose thier homes to fried turkey started fires.

DO NOT over fill the pot, make sure that there is enough room for bubbling.

DO NOT leave unattended.
Cook, I have heard that you're supposed to fill the ot about 1/3 of the way, allowing room for the turkey to fill up the rest and still not over flow, is this your experience? Perhaps water and a frozen turkey might give a good ball park level on the pot ?
TxVa

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Yea I want to know too Cook,I saw an extreme video show that showed 3 different videos of everything catching on fire,one was on a deck and it all caught on fire,one side of the house burned till the fire department came,the other 2 was far enough in the yard that all it did was burn the grass.It can be dangerous.Drop-Shot

·
Registered
19 Posts
Many moons ago when I lived and worked at a backpacker's hostel in New Orleans we did up a Cajun fried turkey dinner for 75 people on Thanksgiving.

6 birds (which were the ONLY thing I had nothing to do with), 20lbs of cheddar bacon ranch mashed potatoes, 5lbs of vegan friendly mashed potatoes, 5lbs of sweet potato fries, 8lbs of green beans, 10lbs of stuffing and all the other trimmings......and 13 pumpkin pies. The only thing NOT from scratch was the stuffing and pies.

Yes, I know how to cook for a small army. It's called "if you want to eat you'll get in the kitchen and help me peel potatoes."

It was pretty funny though, there were loads of Europeans, South Americans, and a couple of Afrikaaners that were staying there at the time. A group of girls from England went out where they were cooking the birds and took photos to send home.

They raved about it being the best Thanksgiving dinner they'd ever had.

Cajun fried is good stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.