frustrated after range visit! help!

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by 870 ExpressMag, Jun 18, 2005.

1. 870 ExpressMag

870 ExpressMag Guest

i just got back from the range with my new h and r .223 rem ultra varmint with a heavy barrel..single shot..

i had 4 different types of ammo...
    american eagle 50 gr flat base hp
    remington 55gr MC
    remington accutip-v 55gr boattail
    wolf 55gr copper fmj

i have a simmons 4-12x40AO mounted on it and yes all the mounts are tight...

i am using a caldwell lead sled rest off a solid bench..trying to sight in at 100 yds and also pick the tightest grouping ammo....problem...2-4" at 100 yds is not acceptable!

i can;t figure out how i can have a 1/2" group of 3 shots then 6 inch group with 3 more....i am not that bad of a shot....it truely has me baffled

only thing i can figure out is that as the barrel heats up..since it's a single shot there is no free floating so the forend that rests in the rest sandbag is directly screwed to the barrel..so if the barrel heats up and cools down it's going to move the gun in the rest correct? but if this is the case how in the heck do you sight in a single shot with no free float? i am very frustrated and disappointed!

2. wired

wired Guest

Only thing I can think of is the crown might have a burr or something. I would have it recrowned and see if that takes care of the problem.

3. 870 ExpressMag

870 ExpressMag Guest

i checked out the crown it looks good.....i am hoping this has nothing to do with it but i did fire like 20 rds of 5.56 ammo thrugh it right after i got it...that didn;t hurt anything did it? i know your not supposed to i have since found out so i stopped but i am hoping that has nothing to do with it

4. wired

wired Guest

Maybe so, maybe no. The 5.56 is loaded to the military's specs, which are a much higher chamber pressure (also, the case is a bit thicker to hold it in, which can sometimes cause headspace problems). Some rifles will be more picky about this than others (typically ones with a tight chamber like a match grade rifle). A gunsmith would be able to say better than I could if that would cause the erratic accuracy you're seeing. It could have caused some throat erosion or something. Stranger things have happened, ya know.

Short story, go see a gunsmith.

5. RWH24

RWH24 Guest

6. 870 ExpressMag

870 ExpressMag Guest

took it back to the shop where i bought it today and they put the bore sighter on the end and looked through it while moving the elevation adjustment and he said there was a lot of play in the adjustment dial..we sent it in for repair to simmons....glad to know it was the scope and not my rifle!

7. wired

wired Guest

Glad to hear you found out what the problem was. I should have been smart enough to think it may have been the scope. I was sighting in my M14 that had one of those non-permanent scope mounts, and couldn't get it sighted in for the life of me. An old fella was there with his chrono and a bunch of other stuff, and he kept telling me "sight picture and squeeze". I was to the point of wanting to use HIM as my target, because I'm quite capable of hitting what I aim at. I was started to get really frustrated (and that old geezer wasn't helping), and I sat my rifle down. The scope almost fell off. One of those moments where you really feel like an idiot. Sold that scope mount a week later.

8. 870 ExpressMag

870 ExpressMag Guest

well in my case it wasn't the mount...the mount on the h and r comes right on the barrel when purchased....this was actually the turrets for windage and elevation! the insides were loose and rattling!

9. wired

wired Guest

Yeah, I got ya. Was just sharing my story of sighting-in frustration. Seems like it's usually either the scope mounts or the scope itself when people have that much trouble sighting in. That's why I typically prefer open sights (preferably receiver sights, if available).

I've heard a lot of that kind of problem with Simmons scopes. I've never heard it happen on something as light as a .223, though. I mostly hear about the Simmons breaking like that on hard-recoiling rifles.

10. 870 ExpressMag

870 ExpressMag Guest

well i bought exactly the same scope as i put on my .17hmr cause i liked the scope so well...i guess not every single scope can be perfect...one or two have to show that factory isn;t perfect when there producing numbers...anyways no big deal.....it just freaked me out at first because i had never had a .223 and had heard that they were so accurate so i start thinking my brand new gun is what was not good which makes me nervous when i spend a lot of money (for me it is anyway) and it doesn;t work right...anyways i got her solved..thanks guys

11. gwp4ever

gwp4ever Guest

I just saw the exact same problem on the exact same scope about two weeks ago. Makes me wonder about the quality of their product.

12. wired

wired Guest

Re: re: frustrated after range visit! help!

You don't need to wonder. You get what you pay for with rifle scopes.

13. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

It is common knowledge that I'm not a fan of any Simmons product. This illustrates why. I do like the Burris Fulfield II for a not too awfully expensive scope. I have four series I and II scopes and have had excellent luck with them. I took my desert bighorn with an old Mdl 70 in '06 topped with a badly beat up early Burris 3X9. It worked flawlessly, and still does to this day.

I'm sure glad that the scope was the problem, and you were able to find it. I once went nuts trying to get my new Rem 700 Classic in 35 Whalen to shoot. I did everything...re-crowned, bedded the action, floated the barrel, changed scopes (four different ones), changed mounts (three times). One day after about 200 rounds had gone through it, the gun suddenly shot ragged holes. :shock:

14. 870 ExpressMag

870 ExpressMag Guest

i'm glad it's the scope to..a lot cheaper!