Getting ready

Discussion in 'Big Game' started by 8pointduck, May 29, 2005.

1. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Been doing a lot of work on the ol'huntin land (in between fishin).Git some goods trails cut out and got 1 camera on a tree by a feeder. :) ..... It wont be long 8)

2. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I know what you mean. At the cabin, I just sprayed some of my food plots with Poast, overseeded a couple of others, and am looking for a brush hog to beat back some of the brush that is encroaching on my wife's wildflower fields. I have a couple of cameras up to; mostly does, a couple of bucks but the antlers are only about 6" so far, and a couple bears one of which is about 170-200 pounds and the other a bit smaller. Neither will be shooters this year but maybe next. I have 4 mineral licks out and the two Bio-Logic sites are being hit hard, the other two are mineral blocks and they aren't that well used. We found two fawns so far, neither appeared to be much more than a few days old. Hopefully they will make it past the bears as this is the area the bears were filmed. The two grouse nests we found hatched and there hopefully will be at least 15 grouse running around next fall.
    At the house the fawns have been around for nearly two weeks, and a turkey has a nest in the middle of my dog training ground. Another 10 days and I hope they are gone. I saw the first pheasant chicks last week though with the rain we've been getting I don't hold out much hope of them surviving. At least they were very early, most chicks seem to hatch closer to the 10th of June around here.
    I agree, fall comes much too slow.

3. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Man :shock: A sportsmans paradice

4. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

Yeah, it is a paradise but it takes a bit of work. The cabin is a new work, we have only had it for a couple of years. We have a timber cutting planned within the next year which will help out tremendously for winter browse and grouse/woodcock habitat. A few small openings will be kept for food plots but none of which will be much more than an acre in size. I am looking forward to this project, the other ones I have are further away and not managed as closely as I would like.
    The area around the house has been a 14 year project, I now have 150 acres myself and have worked on the neighbors to add another 4 sections to the mix. This was a tough sell at first but really picked up as the farmers grew old and farming became too hard on the body. Now those same farmers are dying or retiring and nearly 200 acres have been sold for housing development. It is only a matter of time before this project is mostly gone.

5. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Thats sad uglydog,thats the down side to living longer.At the turn of the century the average was 47 years life expectancy,now it's much higher.The bad part of that is there are more people being born than are dieing,so we have more folks on the earth than ever since records have been saved.Thats not saying I want to give up my spot,I'm glad for every day I get to stay here,hence my quote"every day above ground is a good day".My dad died at 56 with lung cancer from smoking,he went from 250 lbs to 95-125 lbs at death.Thats the cycle,animals die for food,for us or other animals,we die to make room for the future generation.Now that I bummed out every body I'll leave for now.Drop-Shot :cry:

6. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:cry: Geez, man, go look at a sunset or some pretty young babes! Get happy, dude! :D :lol: :) :eek:
    ///olde :lol: 8) :lol: Pharte///

7. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

1gsplover I had an emergency fondling session with my guns,that helped,when I finished I sat in the outside hot tub and watched the most beautifull sunset ever,it looked like the sky was on fire.All better now.Drop-Shot

8. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

1gsplover,
    I was feeling down so I took your advice and gazed at some "purty young things". It brought me right to the ground when my wife caught me and gave me a good backhand.

I just heard that another 58 acres around the homeplace was sold to a church and another 180 acre farm has had an offer made to convert it into a housing development. The church isn't so bad, it was bought more as a long term investment than a new building site. The minister is a turkey hunter himself and there is a good population of them in the area. I'll probably still be able to chase pheasants on that land, especially after the deer season ends.
    I'm glad I own other properties but the distance to some of them is too great for regular visits.

9. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

My son and I were at it again today. Saw plenty of sign :) . put up a camera so maybe we will get some good picturea

10. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Gettin plenty of does but havn't seen any bone on any of my pictures so far :cry:

11. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Good evening 8point,its been a little warm here so I know it must be HOT there.I got to do a little scouting also,I met a rancher that had 2 angus cows with calves killed and eaten by 2 bears and asked if I could kill them for him,1 is real big, a sow,the other could have been an offspring and still running with the sow or mabe another small sow.I'm not sure the bears killed the cows and calves but they were feeding on them,I got to see them at a distance.Plenty of mule deer sign and some old elk sign,if that spot is not covered up I will hunt it this fall.Mabe when it starts to cool down you will see that giant,I hope you do.Have a good one.Drop-Shot

12. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I don't expect to see bucks in the food plots until late August, just before the velvet begins to come off. Prior to that the antlers are still fairly fragile and bucks seem to pick very heavy cover and stay put. I've been told these areas can be as small as 5 acres in size and seldom over 15. As seldom as we see bucks anywheres before September, I'll go along with that idea.

13. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Yea dog you got a point, but I had 1 or 2 bucks on film at this time last year. I moved my cameras back farther into the woods yesterday so I might just get one :)

14. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

I've been watching a couple that feed right back of the shop here at work. One has a really nice 10 point rack! Even on both sides and has some really long tines. It's too bad that this ole boy lives within the City limits. Discharging a firearm within the city limits could get interesting.Heck,I might not get to give anymore of my advice either.
    WAIT A MINUTE!!! They have the NET in Prison now don't they?

NAAAAHHHHH!!!! AIN"t WORTH ALL THAT!!! HAHA

HWD

PS: The one that runs with the 10 pointer is a very respectable 8-9. I've been watching them grow since they were knotheaded younguns.

15. wired

wired Guest

Re: re: Getting ready

coughbowhuntingcough

16. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Bow and arrow...??? :wink: :wink: :wink: 8)

17. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

BOW...............HUNTIN.........as long as its legal 8)