Shooting World Forums banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
wired some folks don't have a choice,the 1911 fits my hand more easily but if issued a glock23 you have to adjust to it's contour.I carry a small 1911 strapped to my leg but the 40 cal is standard issue.When a gun don't fit naturally you have to adjust your grip.I heard of some place in Texas that lets you carry what ever you want and I like that.But here the idea is if an officer falls all can use his ammo cause it's all the same.I see the principal but wemon can't naturally grip the glock 23 and have to practice with the grip.We can all adjust but a 1911 fits my hand naturally and I can point and shoot.but I see the departments side of 1 gun for all.The glock fits my hand ok and am ok with it.I volenteer for duty but I can't run,too many back operations.Drop-Shot

·
Registered
681 Posts
I can definately agree with that. The best weapon to have on you is the one that you're allowed. Around here, the PDs typically have a "whatever you wanna shoot" mentality, it seems. If I were ever to go into law enforcement (the idea had crossed my mind at one point), I'd try to get into one of those instead of the "shoot whatever you want, as long as it's a XXX".

·
Registered
258 Posts
Wired, Drop-Shot-

Wanted to commend you both on policing yourselves with the dust up on the Glocks. Things getting heated online happens on ocassion, y'all showed class in stepping away from it.

Thanks, ye olde humble mod.

TxVa

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I learned from you TXVAshooter,no statement is worth getting upset even if you were there. :) drop-shot

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I learned from you TXVAshooter,no statement is worth getting upset even if you were there.I went in to that a smith&wesson fan and came out different.Folks that wern't there can't speak too loudly,I thought at first and then why not ?wired has just as much a right as me to voice his opinion,that right was fought and won several years ago.We all have to learn not to take every thing too seriously.I'm good and thanks buddy.Wired you are welcome to your opinion anytime,we may not always agree but we can still all be friends.Drop-Shot

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Big Bear I would never listen to that website you sent me to.Some folks would tell me as a mechanic for 33 years,"I would never own a ford,the last 2 I ownrd stayed broken for 2 years,If I can ever get rid of these 2 fords,I will never even look at a ford again".Thats the mentality of the anti-glock community.I have seen pictures of engines that had a piston out of the side of the block on a ford truck(I worked at a ford dealership for 13 years,chevrolet dealership for 11 years and dodge for 3 years)with only 33000 miles,that does happen.I saw a differential explode on a chevrolet pick up while on a lift.I can name 1000's of cases,but I still like fords,chevrolets and dodge.This jerk took a handfull of bad cases and caused folks to assume all glocks were junk.I would give anything to meet him personally just to see how many he could eat before the BS starts running out.I recently read that the us government ordered 500,000 glock 21's for Iraq,most were supposed to be fore the newly armed Iraqi police but were gobbled up by the soldiers and the police were issued what was left over.I have been where you will never go and glocks were there and never failed to fire or feed.My personel favorite was and still is the H&K MK 23 but most of us can't afford them,a glock is the poor mans gun that performs.That guy you listened to is a jerk an known by the gun community as the anti-glock nut.He took some bad apples and showcased them,he is as stupid as folks that say I will never own a ford,chevrolet,dodge,caused a few I owned broke.Unlike ford or chevrolet or dodge,if a glock ever fails.EVER,it will be repaired or replaced by glock.I have shot a case of cheap 9mm(20 boxes of 50 rounds)with out a fail to feed or fire,and no cleaning till after the shooting session.Thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it.Drop-Shot

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Hey big bear sorry to come on strong but I had some shots in the nerve roots on places on my back and it's wearing off so I am signing off for awhile or till I get some more nerve root block shots.Hey what do you think of the new springfield GI series?You can get them in bead blasted finish,lustre blue or stainless and I hear they shoot great and the price is right.I still love 1911's and after I save enough to buy that house in Montana I will have one.Drop-Shot

G

·
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
As an ex-jarhead I can take it DS. I didn't say I was listening to that dude but just pointing out that Glocks have their haters. The fact is a semiauto is a mechanical device which can fail without regard to maker,ammo,maintenance, magazines,etc,etc. I'm off to go javelina huntin next week with my son and some friends. Gotta keep an eye out for illegal aliens down here though ( southern New Mexico ). There will be a Glock in camp along with Ruger, S&W , SIG , Taurus and who knows what else !!!!!!!!

BigBear

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Good way to put it Big Bear,there are so many glocks out there that some kind of failure is enevitable.I shot competatively for 13 years and the only gun I saw blow up was a colt,and I love colts,still do.The shooter was to blame as were many of the failures on that web site against glocks,thats not to say that every now and then a gun factory will let a bad one get through the loop.I had a colt series 70 that did not have a fireing pin,how did thet test fire a gun with no fireing pin?That happens but chanches are if you call a stste trooper,deputy,or police they will respond with a glock cause they work.Since that web site showed a non supported case I have starting to get prices to have a barsto barrell put on both,but I swear to god and I take that seriously,I have not had the problems he said were common to glocks.Mine shoot fine and I expect them to keep on shooting fine.By the way I emailed glock about the non supported portion of the shell and am waiting for a reply.Drop-Shot

·
Registered
681 Posts
TXVAshooter said:
Wired, Drop-Shot-

Wanted to commend you both on policing yourselves with the dust up on the Glocks. Things getting heated online happens on ocassion, y'all showed class in stepping away from it.

Thanks, ye olde humble mod.

TxVa
Well, ya gotta take into consideration that by internet standards, me 'n DS are old farts. It's all about maturity level and respect for each others' rights. His right to say what he thinks, and my right to laugh at him and call him a retard. Just kidding, by the way. Everybody has a different idea of what they'd want to have on their hip when things get totally f***ed, and in the vast majority of cases, they're right.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Hey bigbear what are you shooting for those mean ole Texas pigs?I have not hunted the javelinas but have great respect for them.My brother shot one at 20 feet with a Smith&Wesson 1006 10mm and I have alot of respect for folks that hunts them with a hand gun,but I would choose something a little more long distance.Bring back some pics and post them,I think folks would love to see them.Drop-Shot

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought 2 17's at wally world-god that was a long time ago- and a box of factory 33rd mags for just over $875. The box of mags cost me the $25-it turned into a 686 12ga 3 1/2" model shotgun :lol: I carry a para-ordance P-14 tricked out with alloy frame, the honey conceals a P-12, but her duty sidearm is a GLOCK 17. I shot the barrel out of one of mine at 8900 rounds of 124gr fmj, it NEVER had a glitch- the groups opened way up around 6000 rounds; thats when I measured the lands and found a .002 difference between the used and the still spankin new in box. It was still plenty accurate for taking a life.The 9mm cartridge will never get its due in the US, I carry a 45, but try and shoot 1500 rounds over 2 days of qualifying and the 115 gr 9mm sure is a lot eaiser on the wrist, I still think the 124gr XTP are the way to go and I stake my honeys life on them.The SIG is another beast alltogether- it is an excellent pistol but it doesn't have several of the life/death struggle features I feel strongly about- mainly the automatic chambering of a round when a fresh mag is inserted. I consider the weight of the SIG to be detrimal to its performance as with the magazine capacity being less than the glock. Neither fit anyones hand anyways, don't ever recall seing either pistol minus some sort of grip enhancement. My pick between the 2 is a glock, but the H & K usp in 40sw is way better than both of those. ( for me anyways ) BTW~ the para-ordnance P16-40 LDA is my next pistol.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Berettashotgun it sounds like you might be a cop,thats good,we need to hear from folks that use firearms on a daily basis.I got in on a ground floor test of guns for the mississippi dept of wild life and it came down to smith&wesson and glock.I shot a palate of ammo in 2 days,10mm and 45acp.Both glocks never had a fail to feed,one person had a fail to fire but it was proven to be the ammo and not the gun,another round went in and no more problems.I've asked alot of officers this question and will ask you also,do you prefer the 40 cal over the 45 acp,and why?Drop-Shot

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
If any one is intrested I got a reply from glock on non supported barrells.They say they were designed that way and no factory round will cause a problem,only reloads that were reloaded hot would cause bulges from excessive pressures.With an aftermarket barrell installed on a glock it will cost you if you ever have to send it in for repairs,they will remove and replace the after market barrell with a glock barrell and charge you before you get your gun back.With normal factory +P loads you have no problem,if you try to make a 45acp a 45 winchester mag you will have problems with cases coming apart.I have shot some federal hydra-shocks since last post and they did fine,no malfunctions.Cheaper Than Dirt had them for 16.00 per box of 50.I've shot the hotest factory load, corbon 180 gr +P+ no problems,the glock ate them too.They arn't pretty guns but are an aquired taste, and I can shoot 3 inch groups with hydra-shocks at 25 yards,but I cheat,I rest the gun on a table.Drop-Shot

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Acerman what history?Mississippi game and fish as well as State Patrol and almost all police in south Mississippi that I know of got them glocks in 93 till now,as of 2 years ago there were less than 1/2 dozen problems and almost all of those were magazine related problems,1 barrell split,glock said it was from an obstruction in the barrell and 2 had a pin wallow the frame,which glock quickly replaced.I am getting my information from my cousin thats a state trooper and a close friend with Mississippi game and fish,there are prettier guns out there and ATF uses sigs and has had to send back issued pretty guns for problems and repairs,quess what they used while their sigs were in for repairs?They used their old glocks.I have owned 2 since the early 90's and never had a single problem from my butt ugly glocks.I wish people were that dependable.Drop-Shot

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
WOW guys I got to shoot a sig 220 I think was the model, that was not shot out,it had less than 100 rounds run through it and it shot great!The only sigs I had shot in the past were gun shop rentals that were in service for many,many years,and thousands of rounds shot through them,I think they were law enforcement returns.This one was a 45 acp and was a dream to shoot,I had 1 box of federal hydrashocks and I wish I had more.The guy shot my S&W 44 mag while I hogged his sig,I have to have one now.Drop-Shot

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
I'll tell ya another nice one, Drop-Shot--CZ75. I had never handled one, a friend of mine was visiting from Ohio and brought his along to let me shoot it. Nice and light, points like a dream and what a trigger! I was surprised. Didn't think to ask him if it had action work done or if this was an out of the box trigger, if so it's one of the nicest semiauto handgun trigger pulls I've ever shot (my S&W 29 still has the best SA
handgun trigger ever). Can't vouch for their feeding reliability, only put a half mag of fmj through it, although I've never read that they are bad that way.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts