Shooting World Forums banner

Glock 17 or Sig P226?

23K views 53 replies 11 participants last post by  kendrick 
G
#1 ·
Glock 17 or Sig P226? Please state your opinion and why you chose that particular pistol.

#4 ·
I've shot the Glocks and the S&W clones and don't like them because of the triggers. I haven't had the privilege of shooting the Sig. My wife has one of S&W99-45's.It took me about 4 trips to the range and about 500 rounds to get used to it. The long trigger pull will cause ya to shoot low( at least it did me).
Give me a 1911 or single action revolver with a good smooth trigger any day,please.

HWD

#6 ·
Just my personal opinion, but if you want an autoloading handgun, get a 1911. I've tried DA and DAO autoloaders, and you can put 'em where the sun don't shine.

My preference? A Ruger SA or an older S&W DA wheelgun; a 4" Model 19-3, pinned and recessed, with a target trigger and hammer is a particular favorite.

I'm worried about that HWD guy.... we seem to agree on an awful lot of stuff.

#7 ·
Hey WWB,

Great minds think alike and so do ours! KINDA SCARY!!

Really though, I like the simpler things in life. I also don't take to changing too well. The old tried and true stuff suits me just fine.Heck I've even got camo in the original TREEBARK that I still wear! A good 12 ga pump,a decent centerfire rifle/scope combo that I can find ammo for, a 22 LR rifle and a 1911 is all we REALLY need.

Now,I tell my wife differently so I can occassionally buy something else. Of course when I DO buy something new,it's got a special use such being strictly for varmits , turkeys , deer , etc. I think she really knows but just acts like she don't.

HWD

#9 ·
I own a glock 19 which is real close to the 17 and I own a glock 21 45 acp.The action is a bit looser on the glock and tighter on the sig.The glock WILL shoot all the time and has decent accuracy out of the box.The sig is a well machined weapon,great fit and finish.The FBI used to use sig exclusively,but now uses a 1911 springfield.The sig 226 I shot at the indoor range I go to and rent guns,shot well but the owner says the sig requires more cleaning and care than the glocks,and the one I shot was only slightly more accurate with hardball ammo,the glock shot 3 inch groups with anything I brought,no malfunctions,the sig had 2 fail to feed properly but was well used and needed cleaning.Thats my experience with both guns.Drop-Shot

G
#10 ·
Neither because they won't say .45 ACP on the frame. I had a Glock 17 range rental gun jam at the range on me. They are semiautos and need to be cleaned no matter the make. I'm just a .45 guy. Also don't get caught up in the FBI,Navy Seal ,LAPD, advertising hype. It's BS. A single unit of these services might be using a certain type of handgun and you are led to believe they ALL do.

SIG P220 .45 ACP

BigBear

#11 ·
Bigbear you should have taken a picture of a glock jamming,thats rare.When the state of Mississippi wanted to change fron revolvers to semi-autos.all manufactures came,glock dropped theres out of a helecopter at 100 ft,they picked up the gun and fired a full clip.They parked a 3 1/2 ton truck on one in the mud for over an hour,pulled it out of the mud,hosed it off and fired a full clip.They next put a model 17 in a bucket and filled it with mud,after lunch they rinsed it off and fired a full clip.You had something very rare,30,000 rounds in the course of 3 days with 2 different glocks all abused and none failed to fire.Glock prmised that if we ever have a glock to fail to shoot for any reason,they wanted it back at the factory.You need to contact customer service,Glock Inc.PO Box369,Smyrna,Ga.30081 Thats why 94 % of Police and Sherriff departments all use glocks.I own 2 and have never had a malfunction.Go online and they will ask to have the pistol returned.They are supposed to shoot no matter what,dirty,hollowpoint.cheap ammo all should feed and those that don't need to be sent back.Drop-Shot

#12 ·
I forgot to add bigbear that sig was there,police reps sherriff reps state Police reps,game warde reps and all shot the bill wilson 1911,ed brown 1911,sid 220 and 226,some wanted 9mm and some wanted 45 acp.Colt and Smith&Wesson was there,Ruger,Taurus and me.I shot till I was tired of holding a gun.So why was the glock chosen over all the others?I personally liked the bill wilson 1911 45 acp but it was no more accurate than the glock in the right hands,the Smith&Wesson and Ruger was very picky about what they shot.All chose the glock hands down cause it never failed.A springfield broke after 800 rounds,and thats what the fbi uses now.I like glock and you can tell.Company glock shooters shot under 2 inches with winchester silver tips,and remington golden sabres.speer gold dot went about 3 inches at 25 yards,thats 75 feet and I can't do that but I always hit well.I like the sig but I don't think it's a better gun just a different gun and I like to have a large choice to choose from.Drop-Shot

#54 ·
Drop shot ...I can tell you're enthusiastic about the Glocks.That's great. I've shot Glocks in .45,.40,9 mm and .357 sig. Never had a problem except that range rental. All were friends and they clean em as you should. I'll take a Glock any day over nothing. Keep your Glocks clean bro !!!

TheGunZone - Top Gun Guides & Gun Gear Reviews

BigBear
Hi Matt, this thread seems so old but still I m posting some best places to buy future ammo or hunting accessories when you plan your next hunting tour. I am sharing top Hunting and shooting brands and also sharing their deals by which you can cut your order price.

1: Brownells Brownells - Firearms, Reloading Supplies, Gunsmithing Tools, Gun Parts and Accessories

Deal: 15% OFF $50 Free Shipping. Never break a bank with the most popular 15% Off Brownells Discount Coupon
Link: Brownells Coupons: Sign up and get latest deals and discount information of Brownells

2: Rainier Arms Rainier Arms - Pursue Your Passion

Deal: 10% Off Any Order. Shop at rainierarms.com with the amazing coupons and deals to help you save
Link: Rainier Arms Coupons: Sign up and get latest deals and discount information of Rainier Arms

3: Euro Optic Rifles, Scopes, Laser Rangefinders, and So Much More - EuroOptic.com

Deal: Free Shipping on Orders Over $250 at EuroOptic.com Site Wide
Link: EuroOptic.com Coupons: Sign up and get latest deals and discount information of EuroOptic.com

4: Guns.com New & Used Guns for Sale - Rifles, Handguns, Shotguns :: Guns.com

Deal: Shop All AMMO Hornady. Winchester. Remington and More and Free Shipping Over $750.
Link: Guns.com Coupons: Sign up and get latest deals and discount information of Guns.com

5: Palmetto State Armory https://palmettostatearmory.com/

Deal: Save Up to 15% on AR 15 Collection. Grab the fantastic 15% Off Palmetto State Armory offer before it s gone
Link: Palmetto State Armory Coupons: Sign up and get latest deals and discount information of Palmetto State Armory

6: Bass Pro Shops https://www.basspro.com/

Deal: Up to 50% Off On All Clearance
Link: Bass Pro Shops Coupons: Shop Furniture.

7: Cabela’s https://www.cabelas.com

Deal: Free Shipping On Orders $50
Link: https://www.couponoutlet.org/deals/cabelas.com

8: Natchez Shooters Supplies https://www.natchezss.com/

Deal: Free Shipping on Select Bulk Ammo. Redeem the super Free Shipping Coupon at natchezss.com when you check out and witness the magic
Link: https://www.couponoutlet.org/deals/natchezss.com

9: Creedmoor Sports https://www.creedmoorsports.com/

Deal: $10 Flat Rate Shipping on All US Orders 2lbs 19.99lbs at Creedmoor Sports Site Wide
Link: https://www.couponoutlet.org/deals/creedmoorsports.com

Hope this will help you in finding your next shooting accessories & ammo. Goodluck!

#15 ·
Which one to go with? Whichever one fits your hand better. I personally hate Glocks. I do agree that they're tough little buggers, but they feel like sh!t in my hand, and I hate the safety system. I've shot several Sigs, and I love them. Had I not gone for my Beretta 96, I would have gone with a Sig in .40 or .45 (I'll never own a 9mm). The Sigs feel great in my hand, and I like the fact that it's got an external safety. I've never seen a Sig jam, and the only time I've ever seen a Beretta jam was a guy limp-wristing the thing with Wolf 9mm ammo. I have heard stories of Berettas jamming in the middle east, but it had more to do with the magazine having sand problems than the actual pistol (also, Uncle Sam was providing them with crappy magazines, and the soldiers were writing home to get factory mags, which are awesome).

Whatever you get, you'll still need to clean it. Don't listen to the whole "don't need to clean a Glock" crap. It's a pistol, it'll get dirty. You paid good money for it, take care of it. Just go to the gun shop and handle everything that looks good to you. Whatever feels best in your hand is what you should get.

#16 ·
wired I never said you never have to clean a glock,I just said you don't have to as often as a closely fit firearm like the sig.I hav probely shot more handguns than 90% of the people on this forum,you name it I shot it and not just once.My job with the Mississippi state patrolemans was to shoot all guns till they misfired,all did at some point in time but the glock.Sounds like you don't own any of the cheap old plastic handguns.Before calling me a liar again go down to your local gun store rent a new glock of any caliber and bring a case of the cheapest junk you can find,45 or 9mm plan on spending the day and leaving dissapointed.Drop-Shot

#18 ·
Count to ten, bro. Breathe in, breathe out. I was never calling you a liar. It's just the typical thing I hear from most Glock fanatics is that you "never have to clean them". Granted, you could probably fire Glocks a lot more before you'd have to clean them than you would a Sig. I'm not doubting that at all. That's one of the reasons the old 1911's were popular (the ones that rattled like they were gonna fall apart). Loose tolerances and all. And no, I don't own any cheap plastic firearms *coughhipointcough* :D .

#19 ·
wired I don't call myself a glock fanatic,I'm a 911 nut.But my eyes were opened by what I witnessed,not heard,not read about.I was assigned the 21 45 acp and I shot 2 1/2 cases before lunch and 2 1/2 casses before break,the reps left after 3 days,bill wilson took his with him,most accurate but dirt in action made it have a slide malfunction.I went in this a smith&wesson fan and came out a glock fan,not because they are strickingly beautifull but if my life is on the line give me a glock.I just traded for an H&K expert,used but very little.I still like Smith&Wesson revolvers for good feel and workmanship.Glocks just work,abuse then don't clean them and they work ,not because I read it,not because someone said it.not because the advertised said it will,this man with all my heart saw it for 5 days straight.A pallet of 10mm,a pallat of 9mm a pallet of 45acp.We shot them all.the new colt did well but only the glock ate every thing and did not fail to shoot at any time.No cleaning for any gun.So I speak from experience not word of mouth.Drop-Shot

#20 ·
Drop-Shot said:
.So I speak from experience not word of mouth.
We need a lot more of this online. There are a lot of 12 year olds that convince mommy to let them on the computer, and instantly become "experts" on everything from automotive design to life's troubles (I've seen an 17 year old that had the perfect girl that he was gonna be happy with for the rest of his life, and I've seen an 18 year old planning to construct an intake manifold from scratch in his garage). This is one of the reasons I don't take online arguements personally. Arguing online is like the Special Olympics - you may win, but you're still a retard. Experience can never be replaced by Google.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand....

Glock does make some reliable pieces of hardware, they just don't feel right in my hand and I simply prefer external safeties, so I most likely wouldn't have one in my collection. Most people would keep a quality sidearm nice and clean between relatively short shooting sessions, so any reliable piece would do the job just fine. If someone was comfortable with it, then by all means that would be an excellent choice for them.

#21 ·
wired some folks don't have a choice,the 1911 fits my hand more easily but if issued a glock23 you have to adjust to it's contour.I carry a small 1911 strapped to my leg but the 40 cal is standard issue.When a gun don't fit naturally you have to adjust your grip.I heard of some place in Texas that lets you carry what ever you want and I like that.But here the idea is if an officer falls all can use his ammo cause it's all the same.I see the principal but wemon can't naturally grip the glock 23 and have to practice with the grip.We can all adjust but a 1911 fits my hand naturally and I can point and shoot.but I see the departments side of 1 gun for all.The glock fits my hand ok and am ok with it.I volenteer for duty but I can't run,too many back operations.Drop-Shot

#22 ·
I can definately agree with that. The best weapon to have on you is the one that you're allowed. Around here, the PDs typically have a "whatever you wanna shoot" mentality, it seems. If I were ever to go into law enforcement (the idea had crossed my mind at one point), I'd try to get into one of those instead of the "shoot whatever you want, as long as it's a XXX".

#26 ·
I learned from you TXVAshooter,no statement is worth getting upset even if you were there.I went in to that a smith&wesson fan and came out different.Folks that wern't there can't speak too loudly,I thought at first and then why not ?wired has just as much a right as me to voice his opinion,that right was fought and won several years ago.We all have to learn not to take every thing too seriously.I'm good and thanks buddy.Wired you are welcome to your opinion anytime,we may not always agree but we can still all be friends.Drop-Shot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.