Good day in the woods...

Discussion in 'Big Game' started by mountainview, Nov 10, 2005.

1. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

Took the boy out for his first ever whitetail hunt (Youth Hunters Only). Guess the hunting saints were watching over the woods since we saw a nice doe (not able to get a shot off) and later my son got a shot off (but missed) an 8 point buck. Kind of a cold, wet, windy day and we had to leave the woods in the early afternoon for another obligation but there were no complaints though he wanted to stay and finish the day which pleased his old dad to no end. Walking out it dawned on me that I had just had the rare opportunity to look back in time and watch myself when I was at that age. That day ranks as one of my most memorable hunts even though no game was bagged and I did not even get to carry a rifle or fire a shot.

2. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Buddy,keep building those memories. They'll be the one thing that only you 2 share. When conversations drag, just bring up "the time that ole mossy horn slipped by ya in the swamp and walked right in on your son". Both of ya will relive it all over again.

Memories is all some of us have anymore.

HWD

Thanks for sharing ya'lls day with us.

3. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

To me, this is what it is all about :)

4. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Nothing, nor any amount of money can ever take that away...Priceless... It made me cry a bit, as I am missing my old pop here on Veterans' Day...He was my first, last, and best hunting partner, and I called him every Vets Day to thank him for his service in the South Pacific during WWII. I'm so happy for you and your son! :D May you have a full lifetime together in the field.

L2S

5. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Me too.My boy had knee surgury a month ago and can't go .He is my hunting partner.

6. TXVAshooter

TXVAshooter Guest

A little different than father and son, I took two of my friends out to the ranch in Texas for a little deer hunting. Both had been hunting, only one had taken a doe in his time. We hunted three days and one got a cull 6 point the other a curved spike. A great day, I was prouder of them then trying to take my own deer. Result: two hooked hunters. It is a lot of work teaching fellas how to gut, skin, quarter and process the meat! ;-) I was tired at the end of the day!! We'll be back next year, a new tradition started. :)

7. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

8. TXVAshooter

TXVAshooter Guest

8 pt

Yessir, yes it is. Those fellas are sick of the deer meat, though, they keep eating it nightly, I keep telling them it freezes for a long while, since we did wrap it in handi wrap then butcher paper. :lol:

Safe shooting-

TxVa

9. TXVAshooter

TXVAshooter Guest

Yes 8 pt, they'll have gout before it is said and done! LOL, nothing finer than a good deersteak wrapped in bacon on the grill come about summertime. They won't have that luxury, but i will. ;)