Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have open in front of me an ad published the October, 1962 issue of "Guns" magazine. I thought that some of you might find it interesting.

Don't forget, in 1962 you could send a check and they'd send you the rifle.

1. US Springfield, VG or better: $29.95
2. U.S. Army Model 1917, same price
3. Russian Tokarev VG Used condition: $34.95
4. British Jungle carbines $24.95
5. WWII German Mausers: $27.95
6. G33/50 Swedish Mauser Carbines (cal 6.5) $29.95
7. M93 Mauser Carbines: $19.95
8. P-38 Pistols: $79.95
9. Webley .38 S&W top break pistols: $16.95
10. Colt 1917 .45 Cal revolvers: $29.95

There are lots more, but you get the drift.

Ammo BTW cost $4 to $6 for 20 rounds.

There's another add that lists a Colt Banker's Special (snub nose): $39.95. Still another that lists Martini-Henry's (long guns, for $19.50.

There are also adds for a like new Lewis gun: $39.95, a Grease Gun for $49.95, a B.A.R: in "as new condition for $150. And lastly in this add: a Lahti 20MM canon (not deactivated) for $119.95.

There's also an add for an Italian Carbine: with a 4 power scope for $19.95. Hmmm, I wonder of Oswald was a subscriber?

It's fun to read these adds. It also brings up the question of real value of your money. It must be recalled that $20.00 in 1962 was worth a lot more than the same amount today.

However, even considering that; the guns were very cheap, and they were also very easy to get.....oh, for the good old days.

I mean, a working Lewis gun for fourty bucks! :roll: :roll:

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
In 1962 I was making $0.85/hour working in a Skaggs Drug Center... :wink:

The wonderful little Belgian 12ga sxs double I just bought for $350.00 with todays money is a far better buy than many from the "good old days". The thing I miss about that time is the flood of surplus arms one could buy through the mail.

In 1962 it took me three weeks wages to buy a Remington 721. Now I can buy a Remington 700 BDL for 2-3 days work.

The realy great part about the good old days is that we could buy guns of real quality that is so lacking today.

I like your list and will take two of each...check in the mail...

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Luvs still the guns you could get so readily.....I wasn't born yet(1964 for me) ,but I do know about the guns. Goodness.......

·
Registered
289 Posts
Just to keep things in perspective - I still have my IRS records for 1962. Grossed $2,200 for the YEAR!

Most of those guns mentioned were available down the street from me in Alexandria, Virginia, at Ye Old Hunter! I couldn't afford them them either!!

But, it sure is fun to look at the old ads.........thanks for the memories.

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
Papadoodles said:
Just to keep things in perspective - I still have my IRS records for 1962. Grossed $2,200 for the YEAR!

Most of those guns mentioned were available down the street from me in Alexandria, Virginia, at Ye Old Hunter! I couldn't afford them them either!!

But, it sure is fun to look at the old ads.........thanks for the memories.
The only that has changed in reality is the location of the decimal point. :roll: :wink: We working guys never seem to get ahead...keeping up is good...isn't it...??? :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts