HAND GUNS ANYONE?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing & Restoration' started by RON KONTOWSKY, Jan 7, 2005.

1. RON KONTOWSKY

RON KONTOWSKY Active Member

PLEASE DO NOT BE AFRAID OF PISTOL AND REVOLVER POSTINGS!

WE ARE ALL HERE TO HELP!

ACTIONS BY R.A.K.
    CUSTOM GUNSMITHING

2. wwb

wwb Super Member

Alright, Ron.... I rise to your challenge.

I have a Ruger Security Six; the factory grips kinda stink. I found one set of wood fingergroove grips, but they need to be cut thinner on the backstrap to prevent your natural grip from having a muzzle-high attitude. Can't cut 'em any thinner, though, or they'll probably split from the recoil. I'd like a set of checkered hard rubber target-style grips.

The problem is that it's a 150 prefix serial number (first 2 years production) and nobody seems to make grips for it, since the later square butt guns had a different shape to the grip frame.

3. RON KONTOWSKY

WELL THANK YOU FOR STARTING THIS OFF RIGHT!

YOU DO HAVE A PROBLEM!
    WITH EVERYTHING LISTED FOR 151 PREFIX AND ABOVE, YOUR ONLY ANSWER IS ALTER THE GRIP OR ALTER THE GUN, SINCE THERE IS NOT YET A GREAT BLUE BOOK VALUE FOR THE GUN YOU SHOULD CONSIDER THIS.
    SINCE YOU ARE IN THE SMITHING SECTION OF THE BOARD I CAN OFFER THAT SOLUTION, OPPOSED TO A COLLECTING SECTION WHERE THEY WOULD NOT OFFER SUCH ADVICE.

I STRIVE TO PROVIDE SERVICE AND PRACTICAL ADVICE FOR SHOOTER`S GIVING THEM WHAT THEY WANT AND ENHANCING THE USE OF THEIR CHOSEN SIDE ARM.
    THE ADVICE GIVEN IS NOT ALWAYS WHAT THE SHOOTER WANTS TO HEAR.

ACTIONS BY R.A.K.

4. Logjam

Logjam Super Member

I'm a big fan of Ruger pistols. I like the Single Six because it's easy to use, has nice safety features and had a neat .22 mag cylinder.

I have the Mark II auto. Straight shooter. Nice trigger, even from the factory.

I haven't tried the Mark III yet, but I like it's look.

Sure other's make nice guns. But those dang Rugers are sweet.

5. RON KONTOWSKY

ALTHOUGH NOT A BIG FAN OF THEIR P-SERIES PISTOL I FIND THERE OTHER HAND GUNS TO BE TOP NOTCH, RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX OR TO MY BENCH FOR CUSTOM WORK!

KEEP SHOOTING!

R.A.K.

6. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Hey Ron,There is alot of guff about the glock pistol and not having the whole shell supported for strength.I have never had a problem with a mod 19 and mod 21 but would a barsto barrell make the problem go away and be more accurate?Drop-Shot

7. RON KONTOWSKY

WITH THE GLOCK 21, AND TH LOWER PRESSURES ROUNDS I SEE NO CONCERN WUTH THIS, IF TH E 20 WITH THE 10MM I MAY BE CONCERNED, AND NEVER DOES A DROP IN FIT BARREL IMPROVE ANYTHING INCLUDEING RELIEBILITY OR ACCURRACY.

ONE SMITH OPINION!!!

R.A.K.

P.S. UNLESS YOUR BLUGEING CASES I WOULD NOT BE CONCERCONED

8. njbowhntr

njbowhntr Guest

Hey Ron,

I presently have a Kimber Tactical Pro II on layaway. I am just waiting for my handgun permit to go through, should get in the next week. I can not wait to pick it up and head to the range with about 500 rounds of ammo.

I also shoot a Browning Buckmark .22lr. This would be my squirrel killer. I love this gun. I have put about 5000 rounds through it so far, with about 5-6 jams. All of which were my fault, forgot to stop to give a quick cleaning while at the range. The only bad thing about this gun is having to reload the mag constantly.

9. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Hey NJ,
    Unfortunately,the more of the little thingys that we shoot out one end,we gotta put em back in the other end. Got any ideas on capacities of the clips for the Kimber? How many are ya getting with the gun? Most folks I know that shoot 45's have LOTS of clips. Will standard 1911 clips work? I hope so.

HWD

10. njbowhntr

njbowhntr Guest

hey HWD,

The Kimber clips are standard 7 rounds. The gun itself comes with 2, plus I ordered 3 more. I am going to look around to see if I can get 10-rounders for it though.

Ron

11. Logjam

Logjam Super Member

Man, it's hard to read all caps. It also reads like shouting, as many, when they want to shout, use all caps. For example, if I was to say, STOP using all caps, you'd understand that I was shouting.