Hand Guns how do you shoot them?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by The_Cook, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Handguns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Rifles

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

I can't shoot a handgun greater than .22lr

my grip is two handed right hand around the grip and index on the trigger, my left is firmly cradling the butt and supporting my right wrist. My stance is square with the target knees bent and feet shoulder length.

Target is in the sight

when I shoot the bullet is 10ft. above the target.
    I can hit occasionally if I aim far below the target like a foot or two depending on the caliber of the gun.

How do you shoot a handgun?

2. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I generally grip the gun with my hand much like you and wrap my other hand OVER the first with wrists and elbows locked when called for. Thumbs are generally parallel to each other with just the one index finger on the trigger. I look through the U/notch/channel of the rear sight focusing on the front sight. The target is kind of a blur in the background. I find this works well for me with nearly all handguns from .22 short on up to .454 Casull. The only guns that this doesn't work so well on are bolt actions like the Savage Striker, longer barreled T/C Contenders/Encores, and Colt Peacemaker and most blackpowder style revolvers. I do not cradle the butt with my other had nor support the gun hand wrist as those can lead to problems; one of which you may be experiencing. I shoot Isoceles' and modified Weaver stance the most with a fair bit of single hand mixed in.

3. Maser

Maser Super Member

hmmm... how do i shoot a handgun? well i usualy jus pull the trigger n it seems to fire :lol: :lol: nah i grip the gun wit my right hand n then put my left hand under my right hand as support n thats how i shoot all types of handguns wether its an automatic or a revolver

4. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

I'll look online some more, but do you guys have a website you can recommend for handgun grips and stances?

5. wired

wired Guest

I don't know of any websites to recommend, but I can possibly give you some things you might want to try.

The grip sounds okay, but here are some things to think about. Shooting right handed, your right arm should be straight. Your left hand should be wrapped firmly around your right hand, and should pull back slightly to help lock your right elbow/shoulder. How your left hand wraps around is mostly up to you.

You mentioned your stance is square. You may want to try dropping your right foot back slightly, particularly with powerful pistols.

You will want to focus on the front sight post instead of the target, just like open sights on a rifle. This ensures the sights are properly aligned.

Get some snap caps. Have someone load the magazines for you and put a snap cap or two in while you're not looking. That'll tell you very quickly if you're flinching or doing any other naughty things when you pull the trigger. If you jerk when it goes "click", you need to work on your trigger pull. It also helps you practice clearing malfunctions.

Use the type of target that is a white outline of a person on a black background. Get some of those 1" Shoot-N-C type targets. Put one or two wherever you're planning on shooting (I usually put one right in the middle of the face and one in the X). This helps you concentrate on hitting something small, instead of just getting it in "that big white space".

This may not be the "correct" way of doing it, but it worked like a charm for me. My groups have shrunk rapidly since I started focusing on these things. Maybe it'll work for you, too.

6. wired

wired Guest

Another thought - keep it simple. You could go through all the little things in your head as you're preparing to shoot, but that takes your mind off the actual act of shooting. It's good to focus on something short and simple. My usual mindset usually goes:

Plant, Push/Pull, Target, Front, Squeeze

Plant - feet shoulder width apart, with the toe of my right foot about even with the heel of my left, sometimes more for heavy artillery, then planting my feet firmly

Push/Pull - pushing forward with my right arm, pulling back with my left

Target - acquire and examine target, to make sure you're shooting the right thing and shooting it in the right place

Front - focus on front sight

Squeeze - think it slow and smooth, do it slow and smooth

However you choose to word it, say it to yourself until it is etched in stone like your own name. When you start using this approach, say the step out loud as you do it at the range (such as, when sliding your right foot back and planting your feet firmly, say "plant"). Once you're familiar with what each word means, you don't have to say it. After a while, you will get a feel for what each single word "feels" like. Once that happens, it will become more or less habit. By then, you should know if it's working or not.

7. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Thank you very much for the helpfull tips, next time I have the opportunity to fire a handgun I will follow the instructions. I'll tell you how it goes when I do :D

8. Merton Leeper

Merton Leeper Guest

The best way to learn to shoot a hand gun with precision is to go to an authorized NRA range that is associated with a business. In Denver, The Firing Line, is great, you can rent a pistol or semi-auto and have the staff teach you how.

Recommendation: Take a full 40 hour Concealed Carry course, you will be required to shoot with a proficiency or you cannot pass. The instructors will teach you to shoot from a standing, sitting, and side profile position. Also, you will be taught the laws of your state regarding responsibilities of carrying a weapon. The course is just the first step in the application process but to a non-handgun shooter it is the only course needed to learn.

I shoot "expert" with a 45 Kimber. Semper Fi :)

9. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Ehehe driving to denver from LA, I'll look up on the NRA website for something more local, good advice actually. :D

But as for the Concealed Carrying course.... California, LA especially doesn't take to kindly to concealed weapons. We have like under 1000 people that have been given a license to carry concealed in the state. Last year we had only 3-5 licenses issued outta sacramento as I read in LA times ehehehehe :?

But I'll definetly look up NRA to see if they have a range out here. :D

10. wired

wired Guest

Yeah, Kalifornistan doesn't like its subjects to have any fun. The idea isn't to take the course for the permit, it's to take it for the training. I'm actually considering taking the CCW course around here for some extra training. Of course, it would be nice to have CCW for when it gets cold and I wear my field jacket when hunting. It has a tendency to cover up the sidearm on my hip, and it probably wouldn't be good if one of the Dept of Conservation guys just happens to be checking stuff out in that area on that particular day. It's a bit of a pain in the neck to get CCW in MO, but it's a lot easier than in some places.

11. Maser

Maser Super Member

Re: re: Hand Guns how do you shoot them?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

12. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

I wouldn't agree to Kalifornistan.. those stan countries are pretty liberal. You know AK47 for everyone :lol:

I like to call California a Nazi state. Only state in the union that actually has it's own border guards on all borders. Instead of papers please, they ask any fruits and vegatables? And Santa Monica! PARKING NAZI's you can only park on this street on odd numbered tuesdays every other month during the solstices on a fullmoon :evil:

13. wired

wired Guest

Just out of curiosity, since we've gotten this far, what all pistols have you shot/owned? Might shed some light on what's going on (maybe).

14. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

I don't own any handguns yet, own two rifles, working on finding a shotgun, then blackpowder, and then a pistol.

pistols I have fired. .22lr target pistols <- I can hit things with those all day long. .45cal, .357, 9mm, 50cal, revolvers, snub nose<- i really hate those. Blackpowder revolvers... Just about anything someone goes "hey you wanna shoot?". :D

I know i'll get better once I have my own to play with but till then I'm stuck :x

15. wired

wired Guest

Yeah, to a new shooter, a .357mag and anything starting with the number 5 would be rather hard to deal with. On the other hand, after my sweetie shot my Single Six, I let her shoot my GP100 with full magnum loads, and she was hooked.

Probably depending on the pistol, I find that the recoil on a .45 is a bit easier to deal with than the .40 or even the 9mm, because the push is more gentle (lower velocity). I own all 3, and it feels like the .40 kicks the most out of the three of them. It's sharp and gets your attention. From some recoil tables I have seen, the recoil on a .40 is just a bit shy of the .357mag.

If you end up getting a .357 revolver for your first one, shoot a lot of .38Spl out of it. Then, every now and then, put a box or two of full magnum loads through just to remind yourself what it feels like and where it hits. For an auto, a .45 or a 9mm would be good choices. To be quite honest, I'd say your first pistol should be a .22 of some sort.

16. Maser

Maser Super Member

idk if im just recoil hardened or what but to me a .357 mag is more of an ear ringer rather than a hard kicker n yea im not talkin bout long barrels im talkin bout 2 inch snubbys but anyways my favorite .357 is my ruger security six

17. wired

wired Guest

Like I said, for a new shooter, the recoil can get their attention. For people who are used to larger-caliber pistols, it's nothing new.... but still freakin loud. I've never shot a .357 out of a barrel less than 4", and I sure wouldn't want to hear a 2" barrel one :shock: .

18. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I hate snubbies too, trigger pulls are typically horrendous and they require very good form and technique if one wishes to do anything more than point and shoot at much over Junior High School slow dance distance. The 2" barrelled K-frame types are better triggerwise but the same attention to form is needed. As so very well stated by wired, a 22LR pistol of decent quality is the best way to start. If one just has to start with a centerfire, a 4"-6" wheelgun by S&W, Colt, or Ruger in 38 special or 357 mag (but using 38 spl) is my recommendation. If one is bent on an auto, one from Springfield, Glock, S&W, Ruger, H&K, or any of the other big names in 9mm would get the nod. I pick these two calibers as they are popular, ammo is easy to find and cheap, recoil is light, and they will handle any personal protection needs you may have just fine.

19. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Well then now that we have gotten to this point...

.22lr when I get one I would like to get it in revolver form.
    What company makes a good .22lr revolver?

And then the next question, Has ANYONE seen that funky chunky revolver with chambers that look like they hold 20gauge slug :shock: ? What company is that and what caliber is it? To give you an idea what it looks like, it reminds me of the gun from hellboy. I'm just curious.

The handgun that I would like to own, just to say I owned it is the joker gun from the first batman :D

20. wired

wired Guest

Taurus makes a few .22LR revolvers. I believe Ruger and S&W do, too. Pick up one of each and see what feels best. You'll most likely be buying a new grip for it anyway (I love the Hogue revolver grips).

As far as the movie revolvers are concerned, I doubt you'll find them. Typically, Hollywood will either hang all sorts of nonsense from a pistol that would render it useless if not dangerous, or it makes a prop to look a particular way. If I was going to have a movie pistol, I'd want the P99 from Underworld (the movie sucked, but the artillery rocked). If it was a real revolver, and it had chambers that seemed excessively large, it might have been a .500 S&W. There are some revolvers that are chambered for .410 shotgun shells, too. Haven't seen Hellboy yet, so I don't know what it looks like. As for the one from the first Batman, it appears to be a S&W or Colt with about a 18" or so barrel. Might as well buy a rifle.