Hand lapping

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by The_Cook, Oct 6, 2005.

1. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Will it really reduce groups by 1/4"?

2. wwb

wwb Super Member

The answer is.... a definite "maybe". On some rifles, it won't make any difference at all, and on others, it'll turn a 2" group into a 1/2 inch group.

You won't know if it helped until it's done and tested. Never heard of it hurting a rifle at all, though.

3. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Tweeking your loads a little will also work in some cases. 1/10 grain at a time up or down. Having the barrel recrowned is another.

HWD

4. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I agree with wwb and HWD on hand lapping,I will add that it makes cleaning a rifle alot easier as the barrel has no rough places to hold fouling.wwb and HWD,do you like the conventional barrel crown or a recessed crown?Drop-Shot

5. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

I prefer the recessed target type myself. There's alot less of a chance of damage. I've been known to set my rifle in the front seat of my truck,muzzle down against the floor and unloaded of course. Sometimes there's small gravel and stuff there that can mess up a standard crown.

HWD

6. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Good point HWD.Drop-Shot

7. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

I'm always looking to save a buck, is hand lapping easy enough to DYI? or is this something I should have a profesional do. Has anyone had experience with that Fire system with the bullets of differing coursness

8. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I fire lapped a few guns after it first came out,had a 308 that was leaded up and I couldn't get it out and thought fire lapping would help.Most all types of build up,copper,lead and carbon are mostly in the throat,I had a mechanics boroscope to look in spark plug holes to find burned valves or leaking head gaskets,just 12 inches long,I used the boroscope to look from the muzzle end and then the reciever end,that way I could cover up to a 24 inch barrel..Fire lapping helped alot and now the process of getting abrasives to hold on the bullet is way better and does a better job.Hand lapping gives the whole length of the barrel the same smoothness all the way through,it is the best method but alot harder than fire lapping,I have spent up to 4 hours on 1 gun,some guns have more rough cut than others,you run a cotton ball through and watch for spots the cotton hangs up.If the cotton goes through and does not tear and leave a deposit,your done.If you don't have a rifle vise you are starting handicapped,either get a rifle vise and a 1 piece cleaning rod,lapping compound and patches or watch a gunsmith do it.If you want to know how its done,just ask anyone here and they can walk you through it.Drop-Shot