Handloads for .357 Winchester or Marlin?

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by Casey M, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Casey M

Casey M Guest

Hi, I have a Ruger Blackhawk .357. I reload some pretty stout stuff for this gun. I was thinking of getting a lever action chambered the same. Winchester or Marlin. Are these guns stout enough to shoot heavy loads from or should I stick with factory stuff? Strictly looking for opinions with this one; Of these two guns, which would be your choice and why? Thanks in advance, Casey

2. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

If they make a gun in this caliber I would have to say Marlin.There lever guns to me are smoother and it doesnt matter about strength because both the 357 doesn't generate enough presure to hurt a rifle . A modern one drilled for this caliber

3. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Casey I'm with 8point on the marlin,I want one in 357,I only have 35 rem marlin and a 44 mag 1894 mod and a marlin golden a 22 cal left,sold all the rest,I sold 4 winchester 94's back in the spring and kept the marlins,the 94's rattled when you walked and I just felt better with the marlins.Now if you go back to pre64,then I like the winchesters.Drop-Shot

4. Casey M

Casey M Guest

Thanks for the replies, guys. I haven't seen the Marlin yet. Only in magazines and on the internet. I picked up a Winchester at the last gun show. Almost bought it but wasn't sure how my handloads would work. I think they're both priced about the same with what I could find on the net. I was just a little nervous about putting my own ammo through them. If you guys think it will be OK I'll check it out a little more thoroughly. Thanks! Casey

5. 44mag

44mag Guest

I personally don't care for lever guns but i'd go with marlin, as i've owned alot of thier rimfires, and if thier centerfires are as good as thier 'rims they are good.