has anybody here ever been shot or been close to being shot?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Maser, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Maser

Maser Super Member

i hope this thread dont make the mods or admins mad because i am being serious in this thread:

when i was 7 me and a friend were messing around with a crossbow pistol and needless to say i got shot in the knee by it but that was the only time i ever been shot but when i was 14 i was with some friends and this 1 guy brought a bolt action .223 which he said he "sniperized" the trigger which basicly ment that he made it have a real light trigger pull so anyways we were shooting it and were real impressed by its accuracy but then it was this 1 idiots turn to shoot it so he cocked the rifle but then lowered it holding it just by the grip with 1 hand and his finger was on the trigger and the gun fired and the shot hit the ground like a foot away from my foot :shock: what really sucked was that the guy didnt even seem to care but my friends got all over him about it and ever since then hes not been allowed to shoot with us ever again :)

2. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

re: has anybody here ever been shot or been close to being s

Yes I live in LA and I have been shot at but not hit 4 times in my life.

The first time was 1997 on the corner of Tampa and Ventura at 3am some punks in a stolen Leslies Pool Supply van popped off twice at me with a .22lr pistol or something small, I threw my lead pipe at them.

The second time was 1999 at the corner of Santa Monica and Fairfax at 2am from POS brown american car with a revolver of sometype

Third time was 2000 when I was an EMT in my ambulance that carries about 100lbs of pure oxygen. I forgot where but it was in Inglewood at 3am responding to a shooting call. Bastards shot at my ambulance with a Mac-10 and put 7 bullets in the side of the van.

Fourth time was 2005 my dumbshit friend who decided it would be a good idea to pop off while I was still reseting cans in the palmdale desert. He got a broken rib for his trouble :twisted:

Thankfully I have never actually been hit. I also plan on getting shot at many more times in my life. Here are a few helpfull tips to avoiding it. (at least in LA)

1. KEEP you're eyes peeled for slow moving cars that are cruising like under 15mph

2. Keep you're ears peeled for the sound of cars that accelerate heavily from behind you.

3. Hit the deck and find cover. parked cars, lampposts, what not.

4. Don't wear bandanas, or color cordinated clothing in bad neighborhoods.

5. Be lucky :lol:

That's my two cents

3. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

Been shot at several times as a civilian, hit once during a mugging. Can't guess the number of times I've been shot at while working, with over 40 years of combined service in the police, fire, EMS, and medical examiner's/coroner's office, I've been shot at while working all of them. The best one was while working for the ME, the gang who shot a rival gangbanger returned to steal the body. A gun fight erupted between the deceased's buddies and the other gang with me, my partner, and two detectives and an officer in the middle. When it was all over, there were fortunately no injuries to any of us (though our Suburban was permanently retired after this) but there were 4 others down and over a hundred empty shell casing in the street. 3 different times I've been shot at while in a truck or at a scene while firefighting, twice more while working EMS. Being an officer in mostly rural areas has had its moments, it is common for someone to get liquored up and start shooting things. We had an officer killed a few years back during one of these incidents though most have ended with no blood loss from the guys in blue or brown. With mostly a low household income, a "survivalist" compound, and a reservation with an even worse gang/drug problem than most inner city slums; shootings are not an uncommon occurance.

4. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

A long time ago my dad did his normal clay shootings at the shooting range. He was waiting his turn for the next round. Then a guy shooting let his girlfriend shoot one. She went and loaded the gun, closed the action, and yelled pull. Suddenly her gun jammed. She turned around with the action closed and the gun was pointed right at my dad's head for about a minute until she told her boyfriend it jammed. Luckily it didn't go off but if it did I would have killed that prick. NEVER LET YOUR GIRLRIEND SHOOT, especially when she doesn't know how to shoot.

5. mike .308

My bad it was actually a .380 at a pistol range.

6. gwp4ever

gwp4ever Guest

Re: re: has anybody here ever been shot or been close to bei

It's a damn shame that they all had such poor aim.

7. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

I don't know what bug crawled up your ass, but screw you gwp :evil:

Maybe you haven't been hugged enough as a child

8. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Once in the thigh,burned like pure fire,it was a richrocet and velocity was alot lower.I kept the bullet when it was removed.Still have it.Drop-Shot

9. Seymour Hiney

Seymour Hiney Guest

Damn! Good thing it wasn't a little higher than your thigh, if you catch my drift.

10. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

S H I was concerned about that too,the wound was only 1 1/2 inches deep and all said I was lucky but if luck was involved at all it was in where the bullet didn't hit!Drop-Shot

11. Mike 257

Mike 257 Guest

I have always lived by myself and always left money sitting out and wasn't uncommon for me to have a loaded pistol some where in the house. Anyway I had my girlfriend move in with me and I had all my guns in the safe, all guns were unloaded except the S&W mod 60 that I kept loaded. I was standing in front of the safe looking for something and my girlfriend reached in over my shoulder and went for the mod 60 that she thought looked cute. I didn't say anything to her , I was actually happy that she was showing intrest. All of a sudden I hear BOOM and I see the flash and smoke and I see the gun bounce off the mattress, it was in slow motion, I don't know if Im shot, I dont know if she shot herself, I cant hear anything, I get up and turn around and shes standing there saying "it just went off" but I can hardly hear her. She pointed the gun at the wall and she was about 2" from my head, she had to pull the trigger, a revolver doesn't just go off. She told me that her Ex husband had guns and never left them loaded and she didnt think mine was loaded. Now I am staring at a paper thin door that seperates my apt from my landlord and am Im shaking like a leaf wondering if this bullet went through and possibly hit my landlord. I find the bullet stuck in the door jam. Now Im opening windows trying to get the smell out and wondering if the cops are going to show up at my doorstep, Also wondering if my hearing is going to come back. Five years later , still with the same girl, all guns are unloaded in the safe , girlfriend doesnt tough them and my hearing is ok.

12. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

I was at a range when a young lady lost control of her pistol when a piece of hot brass got stuck in her bra. .22LR Entry was high on the thigh near the groin. Exit was just above the knee. Fortunately, the shot missed arterys and bone. I was able to assist with first-aid and transport. It was in a dead zone for cel phones..

Though I was not the injured party, I was traumatized by the event. Sleep was difficult to come by for the next few days. I never want to do that again! Gives me new respect for our soldiers in the Sand Box who deal with such things on a daily basis.

13. wired

wired Guest

About the closest I've been to being shot was at the outdoor range one time a few years back. I was on the 50 yard range, and the 25 yard range was right next to it. A cute young couple (being sarcastic about that, of course) was shooting a small auto. Can't remember what kind it was. No regard to the rules of safety. No eye protection, and I don't even think they were wearing hearing protection. The girl would pop off a few rounds one-handed, and then turn around to her guy and giggle a little bit, sweeping the muzzle of the thing across quite a few people, and you could see half the people on the 50-yard range dive for cover (including me). I was there with my girlfriend at that time so she could get a bit more target practice, and she went and got back in my car. She came back out to shoot some more when Bonnie and Clyde got in their car and left before anybody had much of a chance to say anything to them. There are several people that are lucky that thing didn't go off at the wrong time, especially me (I was the closest to that side of the range).

14. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

I need to move to another neighborhood :cry: or get a concealed weapons licence for california

Just walked to the corner Arco station to get some chug and cigarettes. Bastared in a blue civic hatchback shot me in the thigh 5inch above the knee on the left side with a BB gun :cry: I dug the pellet out with some tweezers, it's stopped bleeding, it hurts. And now I'm waiting for the cops to show up to file a report. :cry:

Thank GOD it was a BB :cry:

15. mike .308

I would have gotten a concealed weapons permit the first time I almost got shot. Especially in California.

16. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

First time I've been shot at and hit. And I'd have a better chance of getting hit by lightning twice in the same day than getting a concealed license for LA or california :cry:

17. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Been shot at in Zimbabwe, Angola, and again in Zim... :evil: :x

18. wired

wired Guest

Almost forgot my other close call, which was a hell of a lot closer. Was out squirrel hunting with a buddy from work one time. He had a NEF 20-gauge. Heard something off to the side of the road and went to investigate. Tossed the shotgun up to his shoulder and flicked back the hammer, and paused. The squirrel had apparently vanished. He took the shotgun down from his shoulder, and all of a sudden BANG. He dropped the thing and hit the deck. I thought somebody in the woods had shot at him, so I dove for cover and started to draw my sidearm. He got up, dusted himself off, and told me what happened. He was lowering the hammer and his thumb slipped. Scared the living shit out of him. His pulse finally calmed down..... about the time that we got back in town after a long day of hunting. Fortunately, he had the muzzle in a safe direction.

19. moontroll

moontroll Guest

I was shot right between the eyes playing war with bb guns when I was a kid does this count.That was my last game of war.

20. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

I think for the purposes for this discussion any projectile fired our of a barrel will count. If that weren't the case I've got like 3 stories about wristrockets.