Help me scope my 7 mag...

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by TXVAshooter, Feb 1, 2005.

1. TXVAshooter

TXVAshooter Guest

Howdy folks,

I've got a new addition to my stable, a 7 mag. Time for the scope. I've got an older redfield widefield 2X7 on a .223 NEF single shot, and I've always liked that scope. But I hear the newer redfields are not as good. I havn't tried one. I've got a loopy vari-xII 2x7x33 on my savage 243, and it's a great scope. At one time, I had a simmons 44 mag scope on a win mdl 94 44 mag lever action, wasn't a huge fan of it, and lastly, a 300 win mag I had a loopy varixII 4-12x40 AO scope atop it (a rig i should have never given up). Conclusions: I love the leupolds and older redfields. I don't know much about any of the other scope players. I can't afford the zeiss, or swarovski range, I'm looking at about $300 on the scope. Are there any other scope models i should be looking at?

I figure to scope this with a 3x9 at mininum, it is to be a deer bulldozer with the chance for elk eventually. 4x12 might be a better choice, for a longer elk shot someday, but seeing as how my shots now are not past 150, I may wait on a the higher magnification. (Besides, if I need another scope someday, I might as well get the gun for it, too! :D )

You scope masters help a fella out, any other options to look into before I go buy the Leupold? Nikon? Simmons? Bushnell?

2. TXVAshooter

TXVAshooter Guest

Has any one used that Nikon monarch UCC scopes. They claim 95 light transmission. That's pretty nice. 299 from cabelas. Looked at Bushnell, looks like some nice scopes in the elite series, too.

Didn't even see any new redfield scope poking around thus far...

3. markIVbigblock

markIVbigblock Super Member

get a leupold vari-xIII you caan get them pretty cheap new since they came out with the new vx-III line placs are tryin to get rid of their old stock look around i got a leupold 3.5-10x40 vari-xIII for my .270 for about $300.

Aaron

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You shouldn't totally cross out ziess. They have a new series built in the US. Seams like they are in the $400-500 range but I've seen them on sale in the range you're looking at. If remember right German parts/US manufature.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

as far as the bushnel elite series goes (and other opinions will vary) i have the 4x12x40 AO 3200 elite on my 7mm rem mag and love it. hunt just one time in wet weather and you will be thrilled with your purchase. the raingaurd works well. if i had to do it over again though i would opt for the 4200 elite as it is more light friendly (95% i believe oppose to around 87% for the 3200, please dont hold me to the 87%). you will get tons of folks hawking the monarchs and i can't blame them it's just that the elites are the only one with the raingaurd feature and for a hunting rifle it is a great match.

6. Merton Leeper

Merton Leeper Guest

:D I would highly recommend a Burris. Made in Greeley, CO and with a warranty comparable to the best. I bought a fullfield 3.5 by 9 with a 50 mm objective and never liked the plex configuration. So, when purchasing my new rifle, a Weatherby Vanguard 7 mm Mag in Stainless, I sent in the scope, asked them to check it out and put in a Ballistic Plex. In less than three weeks, they serviced it, re-charged all gas, and checked it to assure water tightness. Got it back - this scope is now better than new. The Ballistic Plex is incredible. This scope is in the $300. range and can be purchased from the Cabella's magazine maybe even slightly cheaper. Burris has a forever warranty on their products.

Semper Fi

7. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

8. njbowhntr

njbowhntr Guest

You have gotten some good advice already. I prefer the Zeiss Conquest or a Burris. I have shot a Nikon for years, I was very satisfied. As for the Zeiss and the Burris, it all depends on how much you are going to spend. The Zeiss in more expensive, but it makes up for it in the quality. It is by far the clearest scope I have ever looked through, but that is my opinion. I shoot a Burris Compact 2-7 on my .30-30. Great scope also, super clear and tranfers light incredibly.

The best thing for a scope is to get a small list together of what you like and head to the local shop. For me it works out great, I head to Cabela's. It is nice because I can handle ever scope, then come home and search the net for the best price.

Good luck