Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a 30.06 rifle on offer for a very reasonable price in excellent condition,so I am told. Before I go see the rifle, I would like to know more about the make.I know a bit about Parker-Hale's history and Gibbs producing the commercial versions etc. But, I would like to know your experience, first hand and hearsay, of them. Any info on the company,the quality of the rifles(accuracy,reliability,aesthetics etc) etc will be gratefully appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

Best-
Vikram.

· Registered
96 Posts
The only Parker-Hale rifles I am familiar with are those that were built in England on the Spanish "Santa Barbara" M-98 Mauser Commercial action. These had an excellent trigger made by Parker-Hale that was adjustable to be crisp and light -closely rivalling that of our domestic Timney triggers (one of which I had in my old Springfield). They have the trigger-block safety that you see on commercial Mausers like the Zastava or Interarms Mark X/ Whitworth, rather than the striker-blocking type of military M-98's.

If you're talking about the rifle that I am familiar with, they're good rifles for those who like the M-98 action.

They aren't FN's, but most folks wouldn't notice the difference, and they are far better Mauser clones than the Interarms version was.

-JP

· Registered
31 Posts
but there are also the "midland rifles" that were of lesser quality
these guns had the recievers made by "investment casting"
a cheap and easy way to mass produce these guns,stocks were of a cheap beech or birch wodd usually very light in color
they shot well but had a habbit of breaking of the ejectors which also served as the bolt stop, ive had 2 of those guns, one in 30/06 and one in 270, they shot well but they had constant probs with the ejectors and bolt binding after a few rounds
if its a model 1200 super or model 81, they are fine guns, mauser actioned and better steel used in construction
also fancy wood,usually european walnut
thats my opinion on the parker hale guns, hope it helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.