High class o/u rifles

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by 1gsplover, May 7, 2005.

1. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:?: On doubleguns.com there are a couple of beautiful o/u rifles...7X57. Do those crazy europeans actually hunt with that sort of thing, or are they just toys for the monied class to exhibit in a gunroom? I could NEVER :!: consider taking such a handsome rifle into the bushes! Possibly carry it, cased, to a semi-enclosed elevated stand... maybe. Anybody know firsthand? Just curious.///olde 8) pharte///

2. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

Some are undoubtably status symbols but others serve double duty and are actually used for hunting. For those who can afford these guns, they are not much different in relative cost than a Remington or Winchester is to us.

3. shooter93

shooter93 Well-Known Member

An interesting question. For me a firearm was meant to be shot not just looked at. I lean towards wood stocked custom made sporting rifles. I have had a number of them made for me and have 5 more in the works. I use very nice wood and do all the custom metal work details typical of the golden age of riflemaking. many people have told me you'll never shoot them. I have...I still do...I hunt with them. I have an English double rifle nearly restored and then it goes hunting in Africa. You can use them and enjoy them....just don't abuse them

4. shooter93

shooter93 Well-Known Member

I forgot to ask....which site did you see them at?

5. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:?: :?: :?: I THOUGHT I saw them on doubleguns.com, but a visit there two minutes ago yielded zip. I'm :roll: confused...as usual.///olde 8) pharte///

6. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Re: re: High class o/u rifles

Ugly,

There are those of us who can't afford them, but buy and hunt with them, regardless. :p I am anything but monnied, but have acquired a good battery of this type of guns over time. Its called trading up or "up-grading". I decided that these were my priority and worked toward getting a few of these fine guns.

I have to admit that they don't shoot any better or kill better than a well tuned quality production rifle. I sure as H#LL miss with more Class, however... :lol:

Every one of my DRs, drillings, cape guns or O/U combo guns gets its day afield. I once sacrificed a bunch of skin and scalp to the "Granite God" as I fell down a mountain while chucker hunting, carrying the shotgun half of my two barrel cape gun set. The gun never touched the ground...I sure did, though... :oops: :oops:

7. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:wink: "The gun never touched the ground". Now, there's a man with his priorities in order!!! :lol: ///olde 8) pharte///

8. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I hear you Luv2, I forgot about those "like you". I have traded up myself but it seems it is usually for guns for obsolete calibers with unobtainable ammo. I've come late to the DR/combo/drilling fold so am still in the start up phase. Someday, I may get into the 5 digit guns.