Hot 45-70 loads

Discussion in 'Lever Action' started by 1gsplover, May 4, 2005.

1. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:?: Would appreciate comments from anyone who is EXPERIENCED with the Garrett and/or Buffalo Bore 45-70 "hotties". I have a Marlin Guide and it LUUUUVS hot handloads. But, I really do not want to pay the rather large $$$ for those "super-duper" 45-70 loads until I hear someone say they have shot 'em and they like 'em. :) :) :) :) Thanks,///olde 8) pharte///

2. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:cry: Hmmmmmm, not too many high-dollar 45-70 ammo fans, huh?///o.ph./// :lol:

3. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

1gsplover when in Washington one of my friends shot some garretts.He has the same gun I have,1895 Marlin cowboy with 26 inch barrell and those are stout loads.At 50.00 per box they can get spendy.You can come close if not totaly reload to the same velocitys.Randy Garrett says they have better gas checks to keep leading down and they have gone all over the world and have taken almost everything.One hunter took a cape buffalo and shot length wise through the animal.They had a picture of the animal but not a picture of the opening hole and exit hole.I bought some laser-cast 405 gr bullets with gaschecks and some performance cast bullets 420 gr with gas checks.I haven't loaded any since I get around with a cane I am afraid to shoot those cannon balls yet.I have even loaded some 300 gr HP to 1200 fps for fun.One of my friends mentioned earlier,shot an old Chrysler in the door at 50 feet,the car shook as the 300 gr bullet went through both doors and tore up everything in between and exited and we never found the bullet.Once you get that big rascal moving it takes alot to stop it.I look forward to shooting it.Drop-Shot

4. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:? Yeah, I saw those pictures of the animals with NO PIX of entry/exit holes. I'll continue to roll my own until something a lot more :? persuasive than those pictures comes down the net. :) olde pharte :)