How do I field strip a Winchester Model 100?

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by Logjam, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Logjam

Logjam Super Member

Yeah, yeah; I know these Winchester 100's aren't the most popular rifles in the world, but I have one. Mine shoots about like an M1A. But I can't figure out how to field strip the damn thing. And I'm a gun guy! I've always been able to figure out how to field strip everything.

So I need someone's help.

Thanks

Logjam.

2. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

What do you mean "not popular" :? :?: Take out all pertanent screws, take out clip, with finger push top of magazine release in mag well foreward, pull handle back while pushing mag release forwrd. action and barrel should seperate from the stock.Get someone to help you hold the barrel while you perform the steps. I learned this from a man who has 11 mod. 100's. Two guys in my hunting club have one. I have two of them myself. DO NOT take the whole gun apart! You might not put it back together right . Putting the bolt back together wrong is a big no no.

3. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

The easy way is to bash it over a rock or against a tree. Getting everything back together can be problematic, however... :roll: :wink:

4. Logjam

Logjam Super Member

I like mine, but I've never heard much good about them. I like the fact that you can shoot light and heavy loads without an adjustment.

Mine shoots about like any auto. I haven't scoped it.

8 Pt: what do your buddies who like them say about them?

I passed up a mint model 88 in 284 once....wish I had bought it.

5. bbanbury

bbanbury Super Member

Logjam - that would have been a good buy esp. for that caliber. I have a friend that owns two in 308. One he keeps for parts; the other he hunts with. There was supposedly a recall with them where something had to be fixed/replaced with bolt or?

6. Logjam

Logjam Super Member

Right. There was a recall for trigger work on the Model 100's. Can't recall what motivated the recall. But when I bought mine the guy who sold it to me said emphatically that the recall had been conformed with.

Mine functions just fine. Everyone who I talk to about them say they shoot around corners. Mine shoot just fine. NOt a track driver, but it shoot alright.

7. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

The recall was about the firing pins.Luvs2 you are WWRRROOONNGGGG! I know guys who seek these gun out and will buy them if they are in good shape. The only thing about them is what is wrong with every auto rifle ...." keep it clean for proper functioning". Most guys who don't like them do not like any auto rifle for hunting.