Hungarian M44...

Discussion in 'Military Style' started by BravoKilo, Mar 17, 2005.

1. BravoKilo

BravoKilo Guest

Should be getting my tax return back soon, and was originally planning on picking up a Russian 91/30 with it, however the shop no longer has any in stock. They do, however, have one Hungarian M44 in stock (w/ bayo. and all matching numbers, and he says better condition than the 91/30's he had), and with me being in the same gun club as the owner, I can pick it up for a cool $85.
    Now my question is this... while I have read a decent amount of info on the Russian manufactured models, I haven't read one bit about the Hungarians. Would this be a good buy or should I look elsewhere? Any problems or differences between the two? Anything I should keep my eye out for if/when I decide to go pick it up??

2. wired

wired Guest

Doesn't matter where it's made (with the exception of the Finnish ones, which are a notch or two above). The matching numbers doesn't mean jack for Mosin collectors. It was quite common for rifles to be rebuilt and rebuilt again during the wars, so the parts will normally have mismatched numbers. The only time I'd think you'd find one with matching numbers would be an unissued one, which would be after 1945ish. Whatever the case, buy it and love it. Not only are they cheap and fun, they're more addictive than Starbucks.

3. BravoKilo

BravoKilo Guest

thanks for the reply :)

just starting to read about older service rifles and am really getting into them. Cheap as hell to pick up, and also just as cheap to feed. Now as soon as uncle sam gets my tax return back to me, i'll be picking one up

4. wired

wired Guest

I dunno, pal. This can be a little too addictive. You always start out by saying "Aw, it's just one old rifle". Then, you find yourself getting sucked into the history, and before you know it, you have a cabinet full of old rifles. They have the oddest tendency to multiply before your very eyes.

On that note, you may want to check out these links:

www.russian-mosin-nagant.com

7.62x54r.net

That's where I got most of my info.

5. BravoKilo

BravoKilo Guest

Oh, i know all about addictions. While I have yet to experience the addiction associated w/ older service rifles, I currently am addicted to HKs (Heckler & Koch). Currently only own two of them, USP 9mm and USC .45, but am working on saving up for many more :) Figured i'd pick up a cheaper service rifle in the meantime to help curb my addiction while I save up the $$$ for another HK

6. wired

wired Guest

Ouch. An H&K addiction is a very expensive thing.

7. BravoKilo

BravoKilo Guest

Re: re: Hungarian M44...

tell me about it :? Not to mention that I'm a broke college student... :(

8. EasternBloc

EasternBloc Guest

I have an M44 from each country. The hungarian is my least favorite and the only one that Jams horribly. Go to gunbroker.com and win an auction for a 91/30. You will be much happier.

9. wired

wired Guest

I've never seen a bolt action jam, but strange things do happen.

10. EasternBloc

EasternBloc Guest

neither had I until I fired that rifle. The action works fine until you fire the gun. Every now and then the case expands to the point you cannot get the bolt open without using excessive force. I am talking excessive force. I need to look at it better, but not worth bringing a $65 rifle to the gunsmith.

11. HOULLAMA

HOULLAMA Guest

Ah, EB, sounds like Czech silvertip. Used to bind the heck out of my Mosins. Try a good chamber scrubbing. Take a 12ga. brush and chuck it up in a drill. I wrap a patch around it or some cotton string in it to hold some bore cleaner. Then at a medium speed, give the chamber a good workout. You'll be amazed at the difference. That, or switch to the copper wash cases.

As for the Hung '44, SInce you can look at it close, if its got a decent bore, grab it. Price is semi inline. I say semi because with a 03FFL ( C&R ), you can get them for around $59 + ship. But, anytime I can see if first, $20-30 more is not an issue.....

12. RedRyder21

RedRyder21 Guest

Re: re: Hungarian M44...

Take a bronze bore brush, chuck it into an electric drill at the lowest speed, spray a good solvent into the action, and drill away. Despite how much you clean it, you will have a little cosmoline and other junk inside.

The drill will melt the cosmo and remove all the chunks of dirt.

Then oil the action really good and try shooting it again! :D