Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on buying a new hunting rifle and I am thinking about the following:

Winchester Model 70
or
Browning X-Bolt/A-Bolt
or
Remington Model 770

I am on a budget (as low as possible) but with good enough quality and performance. I use it for hunting games, small or big is undecided yet.

For deciding which one to get, I would like to know the pros and cons of those models and other information, such as how they feel etc.,which can only obtained from experience such as handling those model and firing them. Since I haven't decided specifically for the game size yet, I would like to know the performance of the rifles with different calibre as well as for which game it is suited best with.

Any suggestions to other rifles are welcomed to compare with the ones listed above. I am new to owning rifle and looking forward to suggestions, comments and advices.

Thanks!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The new M70s seem like well made rifles, and the Brownings are also excellent rifles. The Remington 770 would not be on my list of guns to consider.

Since you're on a budget, look at the T/C Venture or a Savage with the Accu-trigger. Both are extremely accurate rifles.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That`s a mountain of information your looking for so it would help if you were a little my specific. If your not sure, it makes it hard trying to fill in the blanks. Guys will offer some in-sight but you`ve got set the course.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I meant to include Remington M700 as well.

More specifically, I am interested in knowing the experience of using those rifles and to decide which one I should get. I am mainly looking at the quality durability and reliability of those rifles, then see if the various features are practically useful ranging from the trigger, safety, bolt to the construction of the system.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
I'll second the TC Venture opinion. You're not going to find a "budget" rifle any cheaper or more accurate. I'll put my TC Venture in .22-250 up against my cousin's much more expensive .22-250 .... The adjustable trigger is a nice feature. My cousin has had really good luck with the Browning A-Bolts in .30-06 & 7MM. He's been able to find used models with the boss system and he swears by them.

I have a M700 BDL in .270 that's fine for deer ... It is what it is ... its not flashy ... it won't shoot sub moa groups ... doesn't have the best trigger, but it gets taken to the woods every year because it kills deer just fine.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Since you are on a budget and I'm assuming it might be tight, you might want to take a look at the Stevens 200 and Marlin XL7 or even the Mossberg ATR. The latter two come with easily adjustable triggers which is a nice touch. A lot of folks seem to have good things to say about the Savage Axis or Edge (not sure what they call it now) though it is a bit too funky for my taste. Also prowl the used racks, you might find a bargain if you scout around.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Depending on where you live, I've seen some places have the better grade rifles at real good prices after the new year. Remember seeing an X-Bolt 30-06 at Scheels last year for roughly $500. Jan/Feb is a good time to buy if you have the cash.

·
Registered
295 Posts
If I was looking for a new gun and was not experienced I'd go to a good pawn shop or gun store and buy a used Ruger 77. I'd probably buy a .308. But any 30-06 or .270 would be fine. The .308 is not punishing to shoot, but it is not a toy! I'd suggest a bolt action.

There are so many guns, and so many different shooting conditions. Long range or short? Open prairie to heavily wooded? Moose and Elk, or black bear and white tail deer?

An old and well cared for Ruger 77 would be fine I'd guess. An old Model 70 would be great, but probably expensive. I'm a fan of Remington 700s, but I haven't handled one for years. Old ones, to my mind, were great.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have owned and enjoyed Remington, Winchester, Browning, Savage and liked them all. Recently I got a new Tikka and found it was a very good buy. the particular riofle was a Tikka T3 Lite in 223 Rem for use as a walking around varmint gun. It is light weight and surprisingly accurate. If I were to get a gun suitable for large game, I would seriously consider another one. Add it to your list.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Since you really don't know what the specifics are relative to how you are going to use the gun and to what end in terms of game and chambering, I would suggest that you look quite closely at Savage Arms rifles. At the present time, and in my opinion, I believe Savage makes the best barrels of any of the commercial manufacturers. No matter what your needs, use, or caliber, a quality barrel giving the highest level of accuracy is a definite asset in any of the cases that you might ultimately find yourself. The good news is that there is a Savage for everyone's budget - you will likely not have to take out a loan or rob a bank to get one.

Another plus, in most if not all of their rimfire or centerfire rifle choices, is the well-known and highly esteemed AccuTrigger that can be adjusted to perform according to your preference.

The advantages don't stop there either. When it comes to engineering, one of the most well-thought-out feature in the vast majority of Savage centerfire rifle choices, is their unique ability to have their barrels and calibers changed by purchasing a different barrel and/or bolt face and having them installed on your original rifle without having to purchase a whole new gun. Now is that cool or what? My son who is mechanically inclined in many more areas than his old man, has done this himself, and he claims that if he can do it, anyone can! In many cases, your before and after caliber choices don't require a new bolt face - just the chambering in the barrel that you want to change to.

You want more? If anyone wishes to check, I believe that you will find that Savage has more left-handed versions of their various models than any other manufacturer in its class - including Browning, what's left of Winchester, Remington, ...

In summary, what's not to like about Savage? That's a lot of nice rifle for relatively little money, and you'll have enough left over to buy a case or two of beer to have the boys over and celebrate.

P.S. I do not own stock in Savage Arms - I just admire the crap out of quality rifles for the money.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I own 3 Winchester Model 70's in the following calibers 7X57,30-06 & 338. They are often called the Rifleman's Rifle a very well made reliable rifle. Never had any problems the ones I own.

7X57

·
Registered
295 Posts
I agree that new Savage bolt action rifles are very good rifles. It's interesting to see how Savage decided not to give up to the competition and developed their fine bolt action rifle that has a reputation of being extremely accurate.

I only own old Savages, 99's and 95's, and they too are good rifles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts