Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats yall opinion on the hunting shows on the outdoor channels. I'm not talking about the ones where the hunters are hiking in the mountains. Just the ones where the hunters are looking over a field with 10 or 15 deer and waiting a a huge buck or siting in a box stand looking at several nice bucks waiting on a bigger one. To me thats not hunting. Thats just slaughter. To me thats about the same as going out to a pasture and picking out which cow you want to shoot. I couldn't get excited about killing a deer like that. If hunting ever gets where its not exciting anymore I'll quit and stick to target shooting only. Thats just my opinion and everyone has there on.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
I personally can't imagine letting a "nice 8 point that juuusstt neeed one or two more years before he really gets to be something special" walk ... I'm from the any buck's a trophy camp ... Don't get me wrong I'd love to shoot a huge buck, but I'm also not above shooting what they call a "management buck" :roll: or a doe.

Like road rat said ... they're basically advertisements for .... xyz game camera or abc bow or super duper fancy choke tubes or whatever ...

There was one show about a couple of guys doing it all themselves ... No outfitters, all public land, etc. Haven't seen that one in awhile but it was far more realistic for the normal not rich guy.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I was talking to guy that hunts all over the place and he said he hunted in a south Texas deer lodge,like the best hotel you ever stayed in.There were folks taping a show while he was there and they could not make up their minds on what they were going to cut out.Seems one of the hunters had more misses than the other person so they cut him out of the show and only the successful person was filmed.It sounded like amature hunters to me.They are famous hunters and I have watched alot of their shows,now I won't watch them again as you only see the "takes" they want you to see.I will always wonder how many wounded animals are out there just for a show to go on.I watch a few but for the most part I pass on most hunting shows.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I set my stand up in thick brush where I know the deer are moving. I only hunt it when I know the time is right. I don't even go to it until I feel like it's a good day to kill a big buck in rifle season. When I hunt in bow season I mostly ground hunt looking for does. They are a pretty easy score even for a novice. I never track up my good stand. The other thing I do is get comfortable. I carry in a backpack.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts