Hunting with a .308

Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by Seymour Hiney, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Seymour Hiney

Seymour Hiney Guest

I have a Browning .300 Winchester Magnum but it costs a fortune to shoot (I save my brass to reload), and it kicks something fierce. But, I can take down an elk at any range. I want something a little smaller but is still potent at a long distance. Anybody do any elk hunting with a .308?

2. wired

wired Guest

I wouldn't use .308 for long-range elk. A lot of people use it for elk, but they limit their shots to around 200 yards or so, and they use top-notch bullets for the job.

And yes, it'll cost quite a bit less than the .300 WinMag, especially if you reload it :shock: .

3. wwb

wwb Super Member

Don't want to sound like a hard-nozed old geezer, but unless you're a world-class marksman, that's an irresponsible statement. Damn few people are competent shooters beyond 250 yards, and even fewer beyond 350.

The .308, with proper bullet selection, is good for elk to 300 yards+..... PROVIDED you can put in the boiler works.

Been said many times, but some folks just ain't listenin' - As long as you have selected a reasonable caliber for the job at hand, HOW you shoot is way more important than WHAT you shoot. An artillery piece won't compensate for poor marksmanship.... in fact, the muzzle blast & recoil usually have the effect of making you an even worse shot.

4. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

WWB
    Couldn't have said it better!

HWD

5. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

My problem with a 308 for larger animals is the limited space for seating bullets of sufficient weight to be used on elk/moose sized game. The 308 was designed as a military round with about 150 gr bullets. The 165 gr is all the bigger I feel should be loaded in a 308. Elk need at least a 180 gr in a 30 caliber, with 200 being even better. You need penetration and a bullet of sufficient mass to keep its line through the bigger animals.

Why not go to a 30-06? It has the neck and case capacity for 180-220 gr loadings and doesn't kick much. :idea:

6. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Ditto luv2,my 308 kicks worse than my either of my 30/06's due to being light,I'm no long range shooter but I have known some,like wwb said,they mastered 1 cartridge and shot at any range within reason.I watched a 400 yard shot on a muley buck by a gentileman that only shot 1 caliber for everything and was GOOD!I gutted the animal as the gentileman was getting close to 70 years old.308 is a great deer round but I'm taking the 35 Whelen out this year for elk.Luv2 you couldn't have just 1 rifle because of hunting Africa.if you kept 1 BIG rifle and hunted here with it you could kill the animal,gut him and tenderize him all in 1 shot.Drop-Shot

7. wwb

wwb Super Member

My son and I both shoot an '06, but one of my cousins shoots a .308.

On a Wyoming trip in 2001, my cousin took a good-sized bull at a laser rangefinder measured 330 yards. He has a pre-64 M70 with a custom barrel.... not a bull barrel, but heavier than normal, and only 21" long. It's also fitted with a Boyd's stock and a Harris bipod.

He shoots 165 grain partitions. This bull was quartering away, and he took it at the back edge of the rib cage... it took out the heart and one lung, and did a decent job of busting the far shoulder. The bull dropped where he stood, got back up, staggered about 10 yards, and dropped for good.

Like I said - if you can place your shots, it'll do the job. Just know the limitations of the cartridge AND the limitations of the shooter.