Hunting with slugs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mike .308, Sep 17, 2005.

1. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

Just wondering how many people here hunt with slugs. If so, do you prefer rifled slugs or Sabot slugs? And whats the biggest animal anyone's ever taken down with a slug?

2. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Mike I have hunted with slugs for most of my life,when I came to montana I stopped.I have a remington 870 mag and slugs and buckshot were the ammo I used,I used the forster style slugs for my early years but switched to sabots and hardly ever had a shot over 50 yards,on one occasion I shot a non typical buck that was on the down hill slide of age and killed it at 80 yards.Most kills were instant and only recovered a couple slugs as most went on through.The biggest deer I killed with a slug was the non typical at about 250 pounds.Drop-Shot

3. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Never fired a slug, actually I haven't run across any at the stores I goto. How far can a slug go? 100yrds, 200yrds?

4. Dirigo

Dirigo Guest

they are usually effective to about 100 yards or so

5. rockchucker

rockchucker Guest

mike
    i just started hunting with slugs last year in illinois. my 20 ga 870 shoots lightfields like a dream. i killed a 185 lb. field dressed buck and a med size doe with then last year. the doe was 25 yds a slug went all the way through. shot the buck 1/4 to me at 15 yds and the slug did not exit. both deer ran 40-60 yards but were dead on their feet.
    it was hard for me to adjust to shooting slugs ( im a rifle man myself ) because of the range limitions my gun will shoot good to 125 yds.

6. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Welcome to the forum Rockchuker,I don't use slugs anymore since moving to Montana but I do remember the damage those big boys make.Keep em coming.Drop-Shot

7. Maser

Maser Super Member

well it depends on what type of slug used n also if the barrel is fully rifled cuz a fully rifled barrel shootin sabot slugs will usualy make a 2 inch group at 200 yards but most likely u will take an animal at 100 yards n a slug will put down any big game animal easily

8. danurve

danurve Guest

The basic idea of a sabot slug is to stabalize the bullet for extended shotgun range. Sabot ammo is available all over, and on average twice the cost of a rifled slug. Any smoothbore shotgun can slam a deer at 50 to 100 yards, and in the woods honestly how often are your shots going to be over 50. Most of mine have been no farther then 20. However lets say you get into a spot where your shooting from a hedgrow or some jazz where a travel lane is 125 or more yards out from your spot. Now you can switch barrels or use a rifled barreled shotgun, or even get a rifled choke for your smoothbore. This, can help make the difference for places you cannot use a rifle.

9. Bobshouse

Bobshouse Guest

I load the Lee Drive slugs and get 2 to 3 inch groups at 100 yards out of my rifled barrel. Probably could do better, but those suckers kick and no matter what you say, your gonna flinch! After about 20 rounds, I start dreading when my time at the line comes...lol I guess hunting is a different story, the adreniline rush hits and you dont even know you've shot.

10. mike .308

Thanks guys. The reason I asked was because I to have an 870 (20 ga.). I was thinking about goin boar huning with it and just wanted some feeback.

Mike

11. Maser

Maser Super Member

hey mike that would work fine cuz boar hunting is done at close range most of the time anyways (usualy a .44 mag is used)

12. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

mike I agree it would work just fine,infact I heard the 20 guage slug shoots much flatter than 12 guage and has great terminal performance.Good luck.Drop-Shot

13. Maser

Maser Super Member

yea mike ligher bullets always have flatter trajectories than heavier bullets but hey mike u didnt say if u were gonna use real slugs or sabot slugs

14. mike .308

Well I was thinking about using a rifled barrel with solid copper Sabots. And thanks again guys.

15. Dirigo

Dirigo Guest

16. Maser

Maser Super Member

well mike that sounds cool but at that close range u wouldnt really need a rifled barrel wit sabot slugs cuz a true slug from the smoothbore barrel would be more than enough to kill the pig