Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Mmessuri's thread about cougars, he said he's going to a state that allows cougar hunting.

What would happen if you shot a cougar in a state that claimed that there were no cougars in said state? Did you break a law because there's no cougar season? Did you not break a law because there's no law prohibiting it?

This is assuming you have a general/small game/multi species hunting license.

Just asking,

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
It depends on the laws of the state. In MN, there are supposedly no cougars in the state and no season. That said, you would be breaking the law as the state states that all mammals are fully protected unless otherwise stated by common name, as being unprotected or having a season. I have been in another state, Nebraska, that at the time did not believe there were cougars in that state and did not have any rules on them one way or the other. An acquaintance shot one without any penalty though I believe the law changed some time afterwards.
As for needing a license, that depends also, I have been in states that did not require a license to shoot unprotected game while other states did. This may also depend on whether you are a resident or not. The only way to know is to carefully read the game regulations and you may even have to go to the state statute books. Each state is different and there are no across the board rules.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Unless the thing is trying to kill and eat you, I'd take a long hard look at how the game regs are written. In MO, everything is " you shall" or "you may". It's a permissive code. If it ain't written that you CAN do it, then you can't. I don't know how it goes in MN, but make sure you read the wildlife code thoroughly and keep a copy of it on you in the field if possible.

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
Wired,

You have gotten to the point, exactly! All game laws are written the same way, and assume that unlisted game or pest animals are illegal to take in any way...kill, trap, trap live...as a general rule.

If the law doesn't say you can, then don't. :idea:

If you want a cougar, come to Nevada. We have a lot right now, and you can buy tags... :D

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
According to the "game biologists" ,the sightings that have been made recently of several large cat type animals,were not cougars. They offer no ideas of WHAT they are but....! Va has it listed plainly in their Game Manual that cougars are a protected species. To "hunt" anything in the state of Va,you are required to have a permit unless you are hunting on your own property.

HWD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.