I almost have everthing picked out for my custom rifle!

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by pigeonhunter, Mar 26, 2005.

1. pigeonhunter

pigeonhunter Guest

I plan on buying it sometime within the next couple years. (Long time I know, but that when I'll hopefully have enough money for everthing :oops: )

Barrel: Shilen

Stock: McMillan

Caliber: .257 Weatherby

Action: Nesika Hunter

Trigger: Either Timmeny or Shilen? (Need some advice on this)

2. shooter93

shooter93 Well-Known Member

I use Timneys on most everything but I have mostly custom made wood stocked sporting or hunting rifles. I adjust them to around 2 lbs. which is light for a hunter. For serious bench work, target work of really dedicated varmit work you'll never beat a Jewell. Expensive yes...but worth every penny.

3. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Pigeonhunter I have never heard of that action,where is it made?Drop-Shot

4. pigeonhunter

pigeonhunter Guest

5. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Pigeonhunter take a kook at montanarifleman.com ,thats the barrelled action I want to go with.I have seen a few and they make their own actions.The barrelled action in 300 H&H is 794.00,you still have to buy a stock but accuracy innovations and countless others make stocks for the montana rifleman barrelled action,and they look great.I have never shot one but the gun store I go to here tells me he has a 308 with a mcmillan stock that shoots 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups all day,all from a custom rifle.Thats my future rifle.Drop-Shot

6. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Ok I know everybody is asking,why a 300 H&H and not a 300 short mag or 300 win mag,or something else.I had the honor of hunting with a gentileman for many many years that used a 300 H&H exclusively and I saw more impossible shots from that gun.One day I was walking through the heavy woods and Bill was watching the pipeline,no deer was moving so we were making them move.I watched several deer walk out on the pipeline and noticed the buck about 40 yards away,I put my rifle scope on his chest and all of a sudden the top of his head just peeled off,bill had shot a 6 point buck facing away from him at 240-260 yards and took the top of his head off.If that was the only impossible shot I would chalk it up to luck.We could kill 5 deer per year and he always made the hard shot.I used that winchester model 70 pre64 alot and made some great shots,I just like it.300 Holland&Holland won at camp perry 1000 yard accuracy championship,I'm not sure how many times but it has great history,and being a handloader I can keep this old caliber alive.Drop-Shot

7. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

There ain't nuthin wrong with that old caliber. :)

8. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Thanks 8point.It may be awhile but I'm gonna have one.Right now I'm working on a deal with Kelesy at High Country Hunting Supplys for a remington CDL in 35 whelen,he has the best prices and will accept lay a way,I'm sending my first payment tomarrow.You got to check this out,great prices and easy to get a long with and will go the distance in you getting the firearm you want,what else can you ask for.After this rifle I had him price a ruger redhawk and once again he beat all the prices around here.I need to scope for that CDL and he will lay a way for that also,leupold 2-8X36 VXlll.Drop-Shot