Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dumb me, I forgot to hide the recipts of the guns I bought the last month or so and the wife stumbled onto them. 2 Weatherby Vangards, 4 Remington 700s, a Savage 10, a Winchester 94, a Winchester SX-1, a Browning Buckmark 5.5 Target, and a Springfield XD-40 Service were a little much for her to take. I kind of got out of it when I showed her I sold the Weatherbys and one of the 700s along with a Citori Ultra Feather, and a S&W 22A Target which funded most of it plus I put the Savage, a B. C. Miroku O/U, and a S&W Sigma 40 up for sale yesterday. Adding that two of the 700s were upcoming graduation presents for a niece and nephew of hers helped a little too. She has been buying new furniture for the dining room with her mad money and briefly thought I was not doing my part financing home projects. I guess she forgot about my den and finishing the garage both of which came out of my personal account. She's still trying to catch on to this "your account, my account, and our account" thing, her previous marriage had just one account and it was pretty much run by him. We still have a bit to work on but she is still very much a keeper.

· Registered
3,764 Posts
Uglydog you have a keeper,my wife would have made me a stiff drink,mabe some hugs and kisses and them would tell me "Now honey just try to get some sleep"I would know that was my cue to run as fast as I could till the fire went out.As long as you are still alive you are in the clear by now,I think.Hang on to that lady,you may even teach her the part where you buy the gun for her.Sounds like you made great strides in bulking up your gun safe,I'm proud of you,you needed them guns.Now we need some training lessons to teach our wives to respond like yours.Drop-Shot

· Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DS,
She already has her own guns, 2 12 ga Beretta 391s, a Beretta 390 in 20 ga, a S&W M-10, and she is coveting my 28 ga Citori XS. She isn't a rifle person but one never knows about the future. How to manage finances were a stumbling block at first, she was accustomed to one account and I always had at least 3: checking, savings, and a toy account. Any and all extra money, along with a little regular pay, went into the toy account and that could be spent as I wished. When we got married I told her to keep her current accounts and I set up the same with a joint account to pay our common bills. We both like to occasionally buy on a whim and this allows us to have those funds available. Finances is a big stumbling block in all relationships but if one covers the important stuff, the little stuff can work itself out.

· Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with you 8pt, that is why I have more than one "slush" fund. My most secret account is the Savings Bonds I have removed from my paycheck. She never sees the stub nor does a monthly statement show up so there is little chance of her discovering it. Having my own business helps too. Thinking on it, I guess I know how the Mafia feels.

· Registered
3,764 Posts
You know uglydog I have a friend that has a real problem,he taught his wife to shoot skeet,clays and the bull around other shooters,after a couple of years of shooting her average is higher than his and folks like to be around her so she takes off without him to shoot skeet or trap and won a trophy,he has never won one yet.Turns out she is more popular and a better shot at his club,he remarked that he wished she would make just 1 mistake so he could score higher.He longed for the days when he sneaked a gun home every now and then and the wife wasn't hurt by the things she didn't know about.We gotta be carefull cause our spouse could easily out shoot us and if we arn't secure with our manhood we could get jealous.That don't work with everyone as I get excited when my wife out shoots me,don't bother me at all,but for those that it would bother mabe introduce the sport as this,Honey if you miss you have to take an article of clothes off for each shot.She should recoil at that but if she gets excited and laughs alot,your skunked,learn to live with it,she will introduce you as the one that needs to pick up his score a bit and when shooting teams she picks someone else.Sometimes we become the victum of the desiase we tryed to perpetuate.Thats life,my wife asked if I had a shotgun she could shoot skeet and trap with,I said yes and thought of my friend,I hope I handle it different from him,she gors to the shooting club and he goes to play golf.Carefull all.Drop-Shot

· Registered
3,764 Posts
You know uglydog I have a friend that has a real problem,he taught his wife to shoot skeet,clays and the bull around other shooters,after a couple of years of shooting her average is higher than his and folks like to be around her so she takes off without him to shoot skeet or trap and won a trophy,he has never won one yet.Turns out she is more popular and a better shot at his club,he remarked that he wished she would make just 1 mistake so he could score higher.He longed for the days when he sneaked a gun home every now and then and the wife wasn't hurt by the things she didn't know about.We gotta be carefull cause our spouse could easily out shoot us and if we arn't secure with our manhood we could get jealous.That don't work with everyone as I get excited when my wife out shoots me,don't bother me at all,but for those that it would bother mabe introduce the sport as this,Honey if you miss you have to take an article of clothes off for each shot.She should recoil at that but if she gets excited and laughs alot,your skunked,learn to live with it,she will introduce you as the one that needs to pick up his score a bit and when shooting teams she picks someone else.Sometimes we become the victum of the desiase we tryed to perpetuate.Thats life,my wife asked if I had a shotgun she could shoot skeet and trap with,I said yes and thought of my friend,I hope I handle it different from him,she gors to the shooting club and he goes to play golf.Carefull all.Drop-Shot

· Registered
3,764 Posts

· Registered
3,764 Posts

· Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My wife would be a better shot than me if she would shoot more often. Alas, her job prevents that from happening but she would probably push one of the sporting clays teams into the next class if she shot with us. If anyone drops out, she is likely the next recruit. As for trophies, she has 5 or 6 sporting ones on the wall, one from a U.S. Open, one from a state tourney, and another from one of the Seminole Cups in Florida. She also has several league plaques for skeet at the local club and a few more she won at various "Ladies' Days at the Range" events. As I said, she isn't much into shooting rifles but she is not shy in the least to point out to me if she sees a skunk, red aquirrel, or other pest around the buildings and to nag if i don't do something about it immediately.

· Registered
36 Posts
Uglydog: Your way ahead of the game at least she still lets you and the guns stay in the house.
Don`t forget the ...............................flowers.

· Registered
19 Posts
From a lady's perspective my opinion is thus (even though wired and I don't live together): I don't give a flying rat's patoot where or on what he spends HIS money that HE busted his rear to earn...it's not my place. There is however one catch:

He has to let me get some range time with the new toys too.

· Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Vagabond, that's my philosophy too. I feel as long as the bills are covered and a little extra can be placed towards emergencies and joint vacations then what is left is one's own. That seems to be working out fairly well right now, I just returned from a hunting and fishing trip and my wife is going to Central America with some friends in a few weeks. Both trips were/are financed from our personal accounts (the room for the fishing trip was from a time share though) and the only planning was to determine who was going to be around to watch the dogs. Her earning potential is greater than mine so her trips are more luxurious but not necessarily more "adventuresome".

· Registered
19 Posts
Exactly. It makes things alot more peaceful too, I think. Just divide up the bills accordingly, put the money into an account to cover them and whatever, and the rest...mad money. When I look at my folks and how they have things set up, and the arguments that it causes, no thank you. They even have their credit cards set up joint....UBER bad idea.

My stuff is my stuff, Wired's stuff is his stuff, and that's the way that it will always stay period.

· Registered
283 Posts
Re: re: I am in trouble with the wife. (kinda)

danurve said:
Send her flowers to where she works, delivered along with a male stripper.
Might not solve your problem but sure would make the day more interesting. :wink:
Tell you what you do. Hand that stripper a gun that you want to own. When he shows up at where your wife works have him tell your wife that he'll leave if she'll by you the gun.

Should work. Those strippers are real embarrassing.

· Registered
106 Posts
You have got to get her to refer to them as "all those guns". At that piont she has no idea how many you have. Also having an expandable gun case or safe that shows always a couple of open slots helps. They usually don't count the guns , just the open spaces.

If she asked about a particular guns always have an "excuse gun" that you sold to fund it's purchase. "Where did I get that gun, I sold that old Browning to buy that one, you know that one you did not like to shoot...." The old "that one? Oh I bought that for the kids to shoot" or " I cant' shoot quail with a 12 ga, I had to have a 28 ga for them" both work good.

Don't try buying a gun for you and tell her it's for her. My wife caught me BIG TIME on that line. She now refers to the Ruger SP101 in 32HR Mag as the "gun I bought her the I always wanted".

One more thing, Keep them all in the safe locked up and in a locked room that you have the keep to. Have an extra key but do not leave it where she knows it is. If she asked, tell her it's in your desk drawer and let her dig for it..... When she asked why is the room locked when "all those guns" are in the safe, tell her it is just good gun safety to keep them double locked.

Remember, you can NEVER have too many guns or rounds to shoot out of them.

APEXDUCK

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.