Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

· Registered
1,427 Posts
I would buy one, in fact I will be taking possession of a '94 tomorrow. I would expect the machinery to be bought and the gun returned to production though maybe on a more limited basis. With the number of either gun out there I would not worry much about parts availability any time in the near future. I have a fondness for High Standard pistols which have been out of production for quite a while but parts are still pretty easy to come by. With millions M-70s and more millions of M-94s having been made, parts for these will be found for a long time to come.

· Premium Member
1,876 Posts
There will be a big rush on them, then common sense will take over, and a lot of people will loose $$$. :idea:

I'm sure I'll get some flack, but I feel unions have to face facts. There is no more America and American worker. We have turned into the United States of Global Consumption. With cheap service labor flooding in from Mexico, and industry fleeing to Asia, we had better grab our collective A$$E$ and learn to live like the third world. :( :evil:

· Registered
45 Posts
I'm buying one now, just in case...a M70 Featherweight 270WSM. I have nothing but good things to say about the current M70's, now a few years ago...

I agree about unions, I see it all the time in my job with an auto dealership. They are finally figuring out that they can't compete with the high $$ unions have to have.

I really hope Winchester doesn't go, or has another downward spiral. The guns are too good to loose.

· Registered
96 Posts
If I can find an M-70 in .257 Roberts or 6.5 X 55 Swedish in the Featherweight configuration, then the answer is "maybe."

I say "maybe" because I am not willing to pay a premium for the fact that Winchester is ceasing production.

I expect that the few dealers still in business in my area that stock them will now be asking more for them than I am willing to pay.

That being the case, I'll hold off for a few more years and pick up another CZ 550, instead.

The purchase would be for my son when he's a little older, so it'd just sit in the safe, anywhow. And he's got about six more years of growing before he's big enough for this type of firearm.

-JP

· Registered
456 Posts
Probably not...
I've passed on multiple examples of each in the past without regret. With the numbers of each that have been produced I'm sure they'll be around for a while anyway. Now if I could find a peachy pre-war 70, I'd buy it.

A comment on the Winchester Saga. Not to start an unrelated thread or flame war, but I can't help thinking that if Winchester produced guns that people really wanted significant numbers of then they really wouldn't be going out of business. In fact Winchesters market share has dropped significantly over the last 30 years and I really don't think they've recovered from the '64 debacle. In fact, most shooters seem to wax poetic about anything 'old' Winchester (I'm guilty myself with a peachy pre-war Mdl 12) but their new guns incite as much excitement as a wet diaper. Just my opinion, but these guys are losing a lot of market to newer and a lot better run companies. When I bought my last rifle I compared a Mdl 70 Supergrade and a Kimber Classic. Both were competively priced but the Winchester just didn't hold a candle to the Kimber and even though I intended to buy a Winchester I left with a Kimber. Its my opinion that the best thing that Winchester could do is sell to someone who wants to build quality guns in a modern factory. Hopefully, we'll not see a repeat of a Colt-like company just not doing things smart.

· Registered
918 Posts
The biggest factor in the "lack of excitement" is that the company (just like Colt) is run by "business" types who don't know/don't care squat about guns. They use the classic business school approach of "features" and "marketing", and treat the product as a commodity. They could be selling can openers instead of firearms, and there would be ZERO difference in their approach.

I fear for the future of Sturm, Ruger, & Co. with the passing of Bill Ruger... I see the same fate in store for it. Meanwhile, real gun producers like Dakota, Kimber, and others are doing very well by selling a quality firearm.

· Registered
96 Posts
Re: re: If the 94 and mod 70 are dropped,would you buy one n

wwb said:
The biggest factor in the "lack of excitement" is that the company (just like Colt) is run by "business" types who don't know/don't care squat about guns. They use the classic business school approach of "features" and "marketing", and treat the product as a commodity. They could be selling can openers instead of firearms, and there would be ZERO difference in their approach.

I fear for the future of Sturm, Ruger, & Co. with the passing of Bill Ruger... I see the same fate in store for it. Meanwhile, real gun producers like Dakota, Kimber, and others are doing very well by selling a quality firearm.
WWB:

Buying a firearm is a more, uh, "emotional" thing than buying a toaster is for many of us. The same is true with cars for some of us. When I bought my Porsche, a whole lot of emotion was involved in that decision. Yeah, performance was an issue, but there was more involved than that. For me, it's the same kind of deal with guns.

Silly, I reckon, and kind of nebulous, but there it is.

Remington's M-700 sell well, and I don't think performance is the only reason why. Their "Remington Country" ad series has a sense of romanticism about it, as does Ruger's advertising.

From 1983 to 1998, I did most of my big game hunting with a 1927-vintage Griffin and Howe Springfield fitted with a Lyman M-48 apreture sight. It had "soul" and a history. It got destroyed in a fire. I set about replacing it with a Winchester M-70 Super Grade in .30-'06 and during the year I spent shopping, I can't say that I found the Super Grade M-70 to fall short in any way in terms of fit or finish. I looked at Kimber, too, but was underwhelmed. If I could have found one in .30-'06 during my initial search, I'd be shooting a Winchester M-70 Super Grade today. When I finally did find one in that caliber, the dealer also had CZ 550 American Classics in .30-'06. They were $400.00 less than the Winchester Super Grade, so I bought one of them, instead.

Sturm, Ruger, and Co. will likely survive as a company long after they get out of the gunmaking trade, if they ever do. Like CZ, Ruger makes a whole lot more than firearms -a fact not widely known. Like CZ, a lot of this non-firearms business is subcontracting parts that go into finished products produced by other companies.

Blessings and Tight Groups,
-JP

· Registered
77 Posts
The Spokane Spokesman-Review has Winchester closing it's doors completely by March if a buyer can't be found. A local gun store owner told me that Winchester has already stopped the production on the M-70 and said that anything he can get was already made. I have to agree with those that think this is a quality issue and it is not just a pre/post 1964 debate. The recent stuff from Winchester really has been questionable. It's a shame for an icon like Winchester to dissapear but I woudn't buy the new stuff.

· Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dean I wasn't going to post this but since you mentioned quality dropping abit first I will go ahead.I was at a gunshop here a couple months ago and was looking at the winchester 70 classic,it was beautiful,great wood and great blueing,300WSM.After I admired it awhile the gunsmith walked in and I seldom see him anymore so I spoke,Hi Dennis and asked him about the Winchester I was looking at.He removed the bolt and showed me the locking lugs,after close to 100 cycles the locking lugs were not evenly worn,you could see the blue wearing off one side for about 20%contact and the other was not even touching,he said that trueing the action is the first stop for accuracy and wouldn't even consider the Winchester 70 anymore,he took a Tikka off the shelf and said the action has been cycled enough to see locking lug contact,I looked and very close to 100% contact.I look at locking lug contact on all guns now.The Remington 700 CDL I bought last year had 80-90% contact already and I finished lapped the lugs to 100 %,very accurate.I hate seeing an icon go but when production costs keeps the quality down something has to happen.I'm saddened.Drop-Shot

· Registered
1,137 Posts
DS I have to confess, after reading your post I went and inspected my classic. The lugs look pretty evenly worn thank goodness. I just can't stand to see a good design fall into the great abiss of guns that are no longer made.

· Registered
1,137 Posts
Hey, I went snooping around Winchesters web sight. Did yall know they had new model of the m70 that were comming out this year. This is strange, I'm wondering what has happened at Winchester.

· Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That sounds strange 8point,could this be a marketing ploy?I must admit to not being market savey and I bet it wouldn't be the first time some one says their going out of business and not really.Back home we had a carpet outlet that went out of business every month,each new month a sale was announced,still there.This is starting to sound strange.Drop-Shot

· Registered
47 Posts
Re: re: If the 94 and mod 70 are dropped,would you buy one n

Drop-Shot said:
.He removed the bolt and showed me the locking lugs,after close to 100 cycles the locking lugs were not evenly worn,you could see the blue wearing off one side for about 20%contact and the other was not even touching,he said that trueing the action is the first stop for accuracy and wouldn't even consider the Winchester 70 anymore,he took a Tikka off the shelf and said the action has been cycled enough
100 cycles. on hard metal that will last for thousands and thousands of cycles. Gunsmith BS meter in full swing.

Accuracy. 300wsm. what do you need. isnt 2 or 3 inchs more than enough to kill large game.

the manuf lack of sales is proportional the BS on the interent.

everyone moans now, but all I have ever read is "I wont buy a post 64 win". What BS. as if the deer could tell the the difference. as if the owner can _really_ tell the difference.

I am going to get a .308 Featherweight. It's a beautiful rifle, and I bet it is more than accurate enough to kill a Hog or coyote.

· Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No BS Timbertoes,If you ever pay a gunsmith to accurize your rifle the first thing he will do is true the action and that would include having 100% contact on both lugs.I have 1 rifle that shoots 2-21/2 inch groups but its a semi auto and with proper handloads I can cut that down a bit but most all my bolt guns will shoot 1 1/4 inch or less,most will shoot just under an inch,I'll get rid of or fix a gun that shoots 2 inch groups or worse.My winchester 70 338 win mag shoots the 1 1/2-2 inch groups with 225 gr ballistic tips,alot larger with 200 gr at any loading.I have alot of free time and spend 2-3 days a week at the shooting range,I shoot off a hoppe's front adjustable rest with a caldwell front bag strapped to it and a coldwell rear bag,I take all the human error out of it.The gunsmith stood to lose the sale if he showed me the lack of lug contact,as a friend would, he pointed me towards other rifle makers that will shoot from 1/2- 1-1 1/2 groups off the shelf depending on caliber.I wish I could brag on the mod 70 I have but the locking lugs have been lapped as far as I dare and only have partial contact on one side and just a little more on the other.The CZ and Tikka had 100% or mighty close to it contact off the self,he had 2 winchesters and won't order any more he said.He has been a gunsmith here for 27 years and builds benchrest rifles for local shooters(4000.00-7000.00 shooters)so he knows his stuff.I shot 1 deer this year at 200 yards and took the head off,if I were shooting 3-4 inch groups I most likely would have missed,my rifles have to shoot good groups.I mourn the mod 70 passage also,we have the unions to thank.Drop-Shot

· Registered
1,137 Posts
I still wonder why they show new for 2006 models. I'm thinking something must have just happened, but what is a good question. What happened to the Browning affilliation? From what I know doesn't FN own Winchester? I don't believe this is a ploy. It's more like a nightmare where an American icon dies.

· Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was talking to a fellow hunter on another forum and he sent me pics of his Winchester's 70 groups.308 3/4 inch groups,not all Winchesters have a quality problem.I remembered helping a friend sight his 300 mag mod 70 with my set up,he don't have the rests I have for group shooting.It shot a hair over 1 inch,both lugs are close to 100% contact.I went to their site too 8point,there still selling the 2006 models like there is no problem,something must have happened.Drop-Shot

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.