I'm taking the big bore plunge...

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by pigeonhunter, Feb 11, 2005.

1. pigeonhunter

pigeonhunter Guest

I'm gonna forget about buying a Weatherby and am just gonna buy a .375 instead.

But I'm caught between two:

A Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker /w BOSS, but no sights (I'll have my 'smith put irons on)

or

A Winchester Model 70

(Both lefties)

I'll be putting a Loopy 3x9 with QD mounts.

I'll be hunting deer, pigs, blackbear, Jackrabbits and if I get lucky, elk. I also be doing some long range shooting. (Swingers out to 700 yds)

Any thoughts?

**EDITED TOO ADD**

Yes, I know I'm insane for doing this, but, oh well :D

2. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

PH! Hows it going.......Either gun would be a good choice.It's all a matter of wich one fits you better and feels comfortable to you. What are you going to hunt with it?

3. With the 375 you can watch the fire come out of the barrel :D .

BOOM!!!

4. bbanbury

bbanbury Super Member

Hi Pigeonhunter... What cal. Weatherby were you going to get? The 375 seems like waaaaaaay too much for what you indicated you were going to use it for. Plus, it's not a very good long range round either.

5. pigeonhunter

pigeonhunter Guest

Well, I'm not gonna get the .375. (The common sense bug bit me)

But, I did find a SWEET Weatherby Mark V Ultralight in .257 WBY, so it's either gonna be that or a Savage Stainless in .308.

6. wired

wired Guest

I'm biased towards the .308, so you could imagine which way I'd probably go. You could do a lot more with it than you could the other. I don't know if I'd go with Savage if I were buying it for myself, but a lot of people seem to like them. It'll be your rifle, so whatever fits you the best.

7. IRISH9

IRISH9 Guest

What's wrong with you pigeonhunter don't let common sense have a say, listen to that little voice inside your head that says "go on, you really want it, you can afford a .375" :lol: , you can always hunt groundhog with it if there are no game specis around of a size to warrent it :D .

8. javven

javven Guest

Mostly the belted mags are a bit much outside Alaska. Exceptions might be 7mm RM and 257 Wby just because it's ballistics are so nice.

I have a v. nice 7mm-08 browning for sale if you're interested.

9. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

p-h...

Don't let these guys talk you into wimping out. :roll: And, for those who are less informed than you...the 375H&H with 270s will shoot just like a 30-06 with 180s for a good 300 yard rifle. Come on guys, check the ballistics. :idea: :idea: It will even shoot flatter with the good Nosler 260 gr Ballistic Tip BT with good handloads. :shock: It doesn't kick all that hard with the 260s, either.

Some day you will get to go to Africa or Australia and hunt a variety of big, bad buffalo. :D The 375 will do the job and be just fine for taking plains game in Africa or deer and pig varieties in Australia. If I can find a way to do this on my income, you can too. I can tell you how when the time comes. :wink: :D

The 375 H&H is the ultimate all around round, without any question. You NEED one, trust me. :wink: 8)

luv2safari

10. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

By the way, DO put sights on the 375 or buy one with sights already there. Your choice of scope is fine. I have a 2X7 Leupold and vintage Weaver K3 60-B P&CH in Leupold QD mounts on my pre '64 Winchester 375 and a 3X9 Leupold in vintage Pachmayr Lo-Swing Top Mount on my Interarms Alaskan. At 3X, the 3X9 Loopy has about 4.7" eye relief. :p

Both of course have good open sights, and the scopes all work well in close quarters at minimum power. IMHO, a detachable or swing mount is the only way to scope a 375. It is a BIG game rifle, and sometimes the big game has to be followed up into crummy places where a fast close shot is necessary.

BESIDES, it is just a kick (pun...) to shoot. 8)